Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 311/290/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question bacon and sausage

I've been eating bacon and sausage for breakfast usually everyday. The first 2 weeks went well but this last week I think I gained a pound or 2.(unless my scale has been lying) My sticks have been pink all this time so I dont know why I would of gained.Anyway I noticed today that the sausage said it had sugar in it and the bacon was cured w/ sugar. Could this be effecting my weight loss or gain-even though the keto are still turning????????????? They both said 0 carbs??????????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 09:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Bacon and Sausage are normally pretty high in salt and nitrates as well as sugar.

How much water are you drinking a day? Enough to help offset the water retention brought on by salty foods?

It is impossible to gain a pound of fat over night. You would have to consume 3200 calories a day in addition to what you are burning for fuel. More likely is your body is holding on to water because it is feeling a tad dehydrated from the diet and salty food sources
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 10:00

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by wanabthin
Could this be effecting my weight loss or gain-even though the keto are still turning????????????? They both said 0 carbs??????????

Hi there.....

I think that this is a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary). Some folks can eat processed foods with no negative consequences. Some of us can't. Personally, I discovered that the scale tends to bounce up less when I cut out all of the processed foods. You could try eliminating these two items and see what the result is.

However, scale bounces upward are common and quite normal for a number of reasons and generally none of them have to do with actually gaining fat again.

The most important thing for you to do at this time is to dig in your heels and continue on with LCing. I can almost guarantee you that your trip down to your goal weight WILL include some upward spikes. Though they are annoying, it doesn't mean that it's time to give up. It does mean that it's time to re-commit to the plan and maybe tweak it a bit.

Hang in there.....you can and will succeed with patience and perseverance.

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%

wannabethin,

I did the same thing when I sarted this WOL. I ate bacon or sausage or both every day (as well as cheese). I am convinced all the sodium and nitrates caused me to be bloated, hold water, and maybe even stalled me. Once I stopped eating it so often, so did the problems. Give it a try and see what happens. If it works, then you have your answer. If it does not work, then look for something else. Hope you find your answer soon. Happy LCing!

Betsy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 311/290/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 19%
Thumbs up I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the info! I have been drinking at least 65oz of water daily, sometimes 100 or more, but I try to keep alot of fluids in me. I bet I'm one of those that can't lose eating processed meat. So I will give it a try and see what the results are. I;m sure not getting anymore this way. The first 2 weeks I did alright but not too good this last week. But I won't give up! No way! I will be at my goal..........someday!!!!!!!!! I know this is possible!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%

wanabthin,

I hope that bacon and sausage is your answer, but I thought of something else too. I use cream in my protein shakes, to cook, and in decaf. I was consuming a lot of cheese ans sour cream on occasion as well. I was doing it every day for awhile and I went to fitday and plugged in my numbers and almost passed out! I was getting all kinds of hidden carbs. There are a few posts (I think a sticky from Karen as well) about tracking this. It cost me and now I track everything because I don't want to put forth this kind of effort and end up with little results. The faster we gwt there, the better I think. Just want to save you the greif! Happy LCing.

Betsy