Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 22:00
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Unhappy Am I not eating enough carbs?

I've been on Atkins since 9/2/02 and have only lost 15 lbs. I'm eating about 10-20 g carbs a day. Should I try increasing my carbs to break my stall?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 08:32

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Well, it couldn't hurt to try to up the carb count a bit.

In his book he states that people with a lot to lose can stay at the induction levels for a while. I have seen some people stop losing at that level and when they increase their carbs a bit they start losing again.

Since everyone has a different metabolism it is really hard to say exactly what will get yours moving.

Trial and error is what most of us have gone through to find what works for us.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 08:35
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Goodmorning!!! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

I took a quick look at your journal. As far as I an see you're not eating enough at all !! I bet if you increase your carbs to 25(increase this by 5 per week) and start adding more food into your plan. YOur calorie intake is only 1/3-1/2 of what your body enjoys. A happy body is much easier to deal with.
Are you drinking your water?...I find this difficult but I aim to keep trying.

Cin
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 08:42
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I went and had a second peek at your journal. Sweetie..most days you sit around 10-15 carbs and your calories don't even hit 1200. I'm sticking to what I already posted...if you increase your calories to 10-12x your body weight and up those carbs you will feel great and your body won't be so scared to allow weight to say "goodbye"!!

cin
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 09:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't know if I'd go 10-12x your current weight, but maybe you could try upping the calories to 10-12x your goal weight and see what happens. If your body thinks it's starving (which yours most likely does if you are getting less than 1,200 calories a day), it will hold onto its fat stores for dear life.
If you feel you are already getting too much protein, add more fat. Fat is what keeps you feeling satisfied and not hungry and though it sounds strange, you need fat to lose fat and 60-70% of your daily calories should be coming from fats like butter, mayonnaise and olive oil along with the fats found in cream, cheese and the meats you eat.
Keep experimenting until you find the right ratio to allow you to lose weight. The fact that you have lost, even though it's slow, shows that you can lose the weight. Now you just need to find the right mix of fats, protein and carbs that your body will be happy with along with the right level of caloric intake.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 10:05

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I go along with Lisa.

In the Aerobics and Fitness Association of America's "Fitness: Theory and Practice" book there is a chapter there covering nutrition and calories.

Chapter 24, page 202....
"A second step is to know how many calories/day are appropriate to eat. To roughly esitmate caloric needs for weight maintenance, multiply the DESIRED weight by 12-15 calories per pound for light to moderate activity; 15 -20 calories per pound for higher levels of activity. This number offers a very rough estimate of daily calorie needs; the actual requirements will vary greatly, depending upon individual metabolic differences.

From this estimate of calories needed to maintain weight, the third step is to determine the number of calories appropriate for weight reduction by subtracting 20 percent of the maintenance calories per day."

Now the above is assuming the person is light to heavily active in exercise.

I do know that the very bottom line anyone should consume daily is 1200 calories. Going below that will cause changes to your metabolism and not in a positive way.