Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%
Default confused but don't tell me to READ THE BOOK & here's why!

Ok I have been on Atkins DANDR for one week. I have lost 5 lbs. but was hoping to have lost a little more. I know the 5 lb.s is just water weight anyway which fluctuates all the time. I have been trying to be faithful to the book. Now I find out that the various Atkins books and the Atkins website all contradict each other. How in the world can we know the right way to do this diet if there is so much contradiction.

Here is an example which I brought up on another thread:

Someone asked about what to eat for breakfast and was told they can't have cottage cheese on induction. Well MY DANDR book (checked out from the library- copyright 1992-99) specifically says that cottage cheese is a "free food" during induction. I now find out that has been changed and it is no longer a free food and in fact is not even allowed on induction at all. And here I have been eating cottage cheese this week--not much but some.

Another thing is nuts. Some books allow it, others don't.

Then Atkins bread. My book says that the bread recipe in the DANDR book is allwed to be used during induction. So I made some. It is not very appetizing since it doesn't rise much or at all, so I decided to cut it into bread sticks and use it like pizza sticks dipped in lo carb pizza sauce for snacks. Well now I am hearing that isn't allowed. BUT, when you look at the Atkins Direct catalog it says that Atkins bread (storebought) is allowed on induction. It also says several of the cookie mixes in the catalog are allowed. Not only that, but on the Atkins website there is a recipe for biscotti made with the bake mix that is allowed on induction.

So what's up folks? Who or what am I to believe?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 12:13
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I know what you are talking about. I think that like with a lot of other programs, ie. Weight Watchers, they are always tweaking the plan. That is why you always can find different information depending on where you look. The book I have, last copyrighted in 1999 list cottage cheese and most cheese as free food. The they come along and tell you elsewhere you are only suppost to have 3 to 4 oz's a day. Eggs too, listed as a free food, then you hear there is .6carbs in each egg. Do you mean you want me to count that up now?

I think it best to keep it simple as possible. I keep the foods listed as free foods, free foods. Keeping normally around 20 carbs a day, I figure it doen't add on to much into my total count.

The main reason you want to stay away from (if possible) the processed food now comming out (Atkins included) is to help clean you system during these two weeks. DO you have to stay away from them? No. But it will help you in the long run if you do.

Also some people are sensitive to these foods, and it will prevent them from losing weight. How you do you if you are one of them if you do not cut them out, and then slow enter them back in to test. It is only two weeks anyways.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 12:17
boy interrupted

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/265/225 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

I can tell that you are getting discouraged. Just hang in there and try this. I dont even think about the commercial low carb stuff. I am just sticking to the basics at first. Meat, veggies and occasional cheese. Eggs in morning cooked various ways or leftovers from night before. I am getting pretty good results from this, and just look at it this way. It might be boring for a while, but that is a small price to pay for the amount of time I have been overweight.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 12:49
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It does get confusing.

Still, although I can see that you're frustrated, 5 lbs in a week is nothing to sneeze at.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:16
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I think you've done great, fluffy!
Try to look upon it this way: Yes, you've gone by the "older" version of Atkins, but that's still *extremely* lowcarb compaired to what you ate before switching to this new WOE. You've made a great health choice and your body has thanked you by dumping 5 lbs already.

I don't think you've messed up anything by eating your cottage cheese. You know, some people skip induction completely and start directly on OWL. They still lose weight and live happily ever after. The Induction is just a "kick start", not a must.

Sometimes we can sound hardcore religious about it here on the board, but after all, it's just a way of eating and individual fluctuations must be allowed. By the end of the day, only you can decide what you can live with long term.

As for the updates of Atkins. Since it has been ongoing researches in the background all the time, inevitably there must be revisions in his plan. These changes are for the health benefit of us, who live according to it.

As it is now, everything in the American 2002 version (latest), the Brittish 2003 version (also the latest) and on the atkins.com website are the same. (As far as I know.) The newest version of the book is only about £5 in paperback, so maybe it's worth investing in?

Hugs,
/gil

Ps. Oh, and about the LC frankenfood out there, whether it carries the Atkins logo or not, I think it's rubbish. Just another way to earn money for the companies producing the crap.

Last edited by gilibel : Thu, Jan-22-04 at 13:21.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:13

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

I look at the variety of low carb products (often called frankenfood) like muffins, bread, pasta, sauces, etc. as a way for Atkins and other companies to make this way of life easier for the long term. I do not think you should eat these foods during induction or owl. The purpsose of a diet is to lose weight and to do so some sacrifices must be made. BUT.. after I lose weight and move on to the last levels of Atkins, I will appreciated these choices. Granted companies want to make money.. but remember back to when low-fat became the big buzz word/eating plan.. stuff was HIGH and eventually came down in price. I don't think they are just after our money.. some of them (Atkins I believe is one) is trying to make our way of eating easier. If they make a buck.. so be it.
My 2 cents..
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Well from your stats, it looks like you are doing great! Congrats on the loss.

Don't fret! Just go by the newer version, and remember that a lot of people lost a lot of weight and got a lot healthier by going by the old version!!!

Surf these boards and you'll really get a better idea. As far as sweet treats on induction, avoid them even if they are "allowed" as the whole point is trying to get over that craving for sweets & carbs. Try to eat whole, simple foods and avoid sweets or fake carby stuff until you are really sure you have a hold on the way you crave and eat.

Don't get discourage, just do the best you can to not only educate yourself, but to pay attention to how your body and weight loss reacts to different things. Today is a new day.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's also a matter of personal choices and bodies. If you lose weight great on more then 4 oz cheese a day, enjoy Some follow the origional oldest book because it works best for them. It didn't allow cream cheese or veggies besides lettuce.

Just find out what works for you. Rememebr this WOL is a learning experience and way to get to know your body better
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Well, will a combination of the various Atkins plans work?

Last edited by fluffybear : Thu, Jan-22-04 at 17:46.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:46

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

......you lost some wight and that is great !!!!!.....it means you did something good......SO....if its working, keep on going :-)....what ever you feel good with......there are anyway tons of variation of LC (and now they're trying with Atkins too, even though they still deny it)...SO.....as long as you go down.........down.......... down......you are doing fine.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:56

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I agree with Amy; Frankenfood can be great on occasion when the urge hits, but i don't know of anyone who consistently eats frankenfood all day long and still loses weight. I lose much faster without it. I plan to invest in that stuff once I'm in premaintenance and maintenance when I don't need to lose anymore.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:03

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

"Well, will a combination of the various Atkins plans work?"

Who knows? The safest thing to do is to keep it as simple as possible. If you keep reading in this board you will learn that those who are the most successful in the long term tend to stay with basic, real food and have the other stuff (processed low carb products) as occasional treats. If you think you might get bored and/or you like to cook, check the receipe section for some ideas to keep your food interesting.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
i don't know of anyone who consistently eats frankenfood all day long and still loses weight.

Neither do I, although I'm sure they do exist.
As occasional treats, I think "frankenfoods" are fine, but as a main part of your daily menu, nope.
I think a lot of people miss that Atkins nutritionals and Atkins medical practice were two separate entities; the purpose of the former is profits and now that the good doctor is gone and ANI has been sold to another corporation, I personally feel that they are promoting all their "franenfoods" way too heavily and giving low carbers the false impression that they can eat these things several times a day and have no problems losing weight. I'm sure that the odd person can do that, but the vast majority can't.
For me, this WOL is about learning to make healthy choices based on whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible. While there are some low carb products that I use more than others, for the most part I stick with the unprocessed stuff. Besides...most of them don't taste nearly as good as the high carb counterparts that they are supposed to mimick and are horrendously expensive. Most of the time, I can make far better "treats" in my own kitchen using ingredients that I can actually pronounce.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:07
Registered Member

Stats: 211/180/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 44%

Congrats on your 5lb loss. Seems like u are doing pretty good to me. Keep up the goodwork and dont stress yourself out
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/218/200 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 55%

I personnaly think that as long as you keep your carbs under 20 it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as it fairly low on the G index. hell, there are some days that my carb intake may go up to 30 or 40 and I'm still in ketosis and losing...I guess it depends on the individual.