Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:12
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Talking Pritikin Program ... a pretty good laugh!

Out of boredom one day at the hospital, I picked up a copy of the Pritikin Program (popular in teh late 70's)in the used book bin. It's such a good laugh, I really have to share with you all!

One of my favorite parts:

"The trouble with high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets is that they are too high in fat. While carbohydrates burn efficiently and cleanly, breaking down into safe water and carbon dioxide, fats do not. Fats are not 100% efficient (as are carbohydrates), since fats prduce part of their residue in ketones.

True, ketones tend to depress the apetite. But ketones are also dangerous. Being acidic, they tend to change the nearly neutral ph of the blood. Of they rise too fast in the blood, they can acidify it to the extent of producing a diabeticlike ketosis state. The ultimate danger of excessive ketones is ketoacidosis, which can be fatal.

Therefore, diets such as the Atkins and Stillman diets are risky. Although Atkins says his is "controlled" ketosis, experience with this diet makes it plain that ketones are sometimes far to elusive to control.

The high protein of these diets poses another problem. The body draws large amounts of water from the tissues to dilute to safe levels of toxic breakdown products of protein digestion. Seven times as much water is required in protein digestion as in carbohydrate or fat digestion. Thr dehydration processs produces an instant temporary weight loss, but if at least some water is not replenished, a serious state of dehydration can result.

An example of extreme dehydration from a high protein intake has been shown in infants on soy-milk diets exclusively who died from dehydration."

Gee... wonder where some of the myths about lc come from???? He pretty much summed them up in one page....

<Linda Richmond, "Coffee Talk" voice>
Discuss.. Tawk amongst yourselves.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Nathan Pritikin committed suicide; I think because he expected his regimen to control his health problems, and it did not.
I never got that low fat, but I know people who did...but never for long!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 10:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Wow, so it's the protien in soy milk formula that causes harm to infants. Oh no, and here my daughter has been having regular formula which is high fat and high protien. Here I thought it would help support brain growth and development. Instead I should of been giving her skim milk with sugar added this whole time.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm still giggling, wondering what my elusive ketones are up to...