Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 19:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%
Default Home Bistro Low Carb meals in Canada?

Hello all,

I have found out that Home Bistro gourmet frozen low carb meals are "trying" to find their way in M&M Meat Shops across Canada. However, M&M thinks there is not enough demand for the product at this time. I have e-mailed them and will post their response to me in here. I thought if anyone else is interested in these products they might like to e-mail them and let them know. Heaven knows it's about time we had a good, convenient low carb option readily available in Canada!!

Good afternoon Ms. Lawson,

Thank you for your letter regarding low carb meals. Samples have been received and were tested by our committee. The results were favorable however it was felt that the timing is not yet right for this type of product. As you are aware, there is limited freezer space available at our stores and therefore the products that are listed have to have to be the best sellers. Any time a new product is listed, one has to be removed from the line up to make space.

Twice yearly we conduct a survey at store level asking our franchisees to suggest items they would like to see added to the line up. I will hold your email on file for the next survey results so that your request can be tabulated with others that may come in.

I hope you continue to enjoy the many products available and would like to thank you again for taking the time to send us your comments.

Melanie Schoeneweiss
Assistant Buyer
M&M Meat Shops Ltd.

The e-mail contact that I have is melanies~mmms.ca (just to keep it to the same person ).

Anyway, I hope other Canadians think this is a good idea, like I do. I've tried these products and they are good, and would certainly be a good thing to have readily available to p/u rather than having to order and pay S&H and in U.S. funds.

TTFN,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Thanks, Thersa.....I've sent an e-mail to her, too. Maybe if enough of us do it (from across Canada), they'll take notice.
Hey, there's got to be something to "consumer power"!

judy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Something else to consider, ladies. Matter of Fact, several somethings:

There are M&M Meat Shops all over the country, slowly but steadily increasing their numbers (for you readers who haven't heard of them, they carry frozen prepared food products of all sorts, with extra focus on meats/entrees--they are a franchise).

Prices are likely to be better if the product can be MADE in Canada (a lot less shipping cost and a more stable product cost base).

Folks in LC business (like myself) are interested in and working towards just this kind of thing, as well as other product development.

The LC Canada Forum is where, eventually, serious LCers of the Canadian persuasion hang out.

So, ultimately, I suggesting to all readers that if there's an M&M Meat Shop in your local yellow pages, let THEM know, too, that something like the Home Bistro gourmet prepacked LC ready-meals products (give them the web address, it's a cool site www.homebistro.com) would be VERY much appreciated if available to we Canadian consumers. The "committee" and the survey referred to will involve local store owners/franchisees and they very much need to know what their customers want.

... AND of course EMail melanies at mmms.ca as well... in a franchise, it is definitely a corporate decision to be made.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 12:55

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

The web site is actually

http://www.thehomebistro.com/

I emailed M & M before I found the website - holy cow they are expensive, and those are US$! I think it's still a good idea to let them know we are interested in a product like this. I mentioned that I have stopped shopping there since reducing the carbs in my diet 2.5 years ago.

I wonder if there are any cheaper low carb frozen prepared meals available in the US grocery stores yet.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 15:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%

Hi Deidre,

I know what you mean - they are a little pricey. But I have to say, these are not your typical frozen entree type dinners. I've tried several of them and they are really good. Even my 7 year old son loves them. I use them more for those times when I'm too busy and just can't cook, or when my husband just has to have a rice type of thing for dinner. That way I use them only infrequently, but it saves me from ordering takeout from somewhere - either good or bad for me . So if you look at it like that, it's not such a high price.

I really don't think there are any other frozen prepared low carb dinners out there - even in the U.S. - either good quality or not. I'm really hoping to get these (or something similar) available in stores here in Canada rather than ordering them (as well as other good quality low carb options, right Jude?!?! ).

FYI, you actually can't order these yet from The Home Bistro in Canada. They have to fix up some sort of "bug" in their system, but should be ready in a couple of months or so.

TTFN,
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 16:04

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

They are pretty pricey, aren't they? (I thought the site was down when I tried Judi's link, so hadn't had a real look until today.)

I can't see them simply charging US prices + the exchange, if they do expand to Canada. Don't know about anyone else, but if I'm paying $10.00 or more for a bowl of soup, I want candlelight, a waiter and someone else to do the dishes! I think if M&M's is looking at adding Bistro's low carb to their line, they must be looking at the price structure and how it fits with their current line.

judy

Last edited by jude : Sun, Jan-05-03 at 16:08.