Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 18:16

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 296/293/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Post Are people who continue to lose with sugar alcohols out of the norm?

I would really like to add some SF treats like candy to my diet. Just once in a while of course, but I have been frightened by the posts that they stall
people. I know everyone is different, but I'm just wondering if this is usually
the rule or the exception. Has anyone consumed these sometimes or on a regular basis and continued to lose. They would sure help keep variety.
I have hardly any cravings now, but it would be nice to know I could have these
things when neede. Basically I'm hearing negative things about sugar alcohols.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 18:23
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

They don't stall me usually. I tend to eat 1-2 pieces a day without difficulty, and it helps keep the bowels regular. I could take fiber supplements-but ick, I'm not interested. I eat enough veggies and a bit of candy now and then doesn't hurt. You just can't take it to excess.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 18:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

aaley...I would say that the answer to that is yes considering the many posts I've read from people who can't seem to lose or lose very slowly when consuming treats with sugar alcohols in them. Those that can eat them without a problem seem to be very much outnumbered by those that can't.
The only way to find out how they affect you, however, is to give them a try. If you continue to lose weight, great. If you notice that your weight loss slows or stops completely, then I'd say you were in the group that has a problem with them and should probably avoid them or keep them to the very rare treat if you do eat them.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I agree it's nice to have a treat now and then. I have 2-3 pieces a week, which is maybe why I never had a problem.
However, as long as you are doing okay without them, why risk it? There's plenty of time to experiment with new foods as you move through different levels of carbs. If you are longing for variety, try browsing through the recipe section. I always find something new and tempting there.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 20:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think it's also a matter of how often they are eaten. Once a week or every other week doesn't seem to cause problems. Many people though skip whole nutitious food with LC junk food on a daily basis and find they aren't losing.

I'd say give it a shot, but start slow, esp since you don't know how your tummy will react.

Rememebr too there are different kinds of SA's on the market. Malitol gives me nasty gas, diareah and so on. Lactol (Which Hershey Uses) doesn't effect me as bad (odd since I'm lactose intolerent). There is also a new one out called Erythritol which is found in CarbSlim bites and one brand of peanut M&M type candies, which doesn't seem to cause as much stomach trouble in people. http://www11.netrition.com/lowcarbs...ritol_page.html

What could be a much better idea is to look up sweet reats you cna make on your own that contain no sugar alcohols. In the recipe forum here there is a recipe for Peanut butters cups which everyone swears are amazing, and no SA's. There are also recipes for LC chocoaltes, donuts and so on out there, all of which contain no SAs
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 20:46
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I have no problem with any of them. Though I do think the Atkins are not worth the money. I've tried eating them or not eating them, and though I'm losing slowly, I don't see that they are to blame. But, as everyone has said, you have to find out for yourself.

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 21:10
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

There's also a difference between eating a piece of SF candy and a whole serving. Most of the bags list 2-4 pieces as a serving. I usually have only one a day when I do eat them. Two or more only if the bowels need help. Can't think of a tastier laxative.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 22:15

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

They make me stall - come to a direct STOP! But I have a friend who loves them and uses all of the other Atkin's products and continues to lose. It is so weird - everyone's body seems to react to different things. Dairy causes stalls for some people but doesn't bother me in the least.....test it out and see what happens! Orchid
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 00:25
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I get absolutly NO laxitive effect from them. I wish I did since for years I've had chronic constipation, and now it's worse with this WOE. I have eaten as many as 4 or 5 Reeses P-Butter cups with zippo effect.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 07:15

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

The most important thing to remember is that we're all different. All the various ways of doing the low carb dance work well for somebody. As the others have said, you have to experiment with yourself to get your answer. Nyah Levi
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:17

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

You should really try the peanut butter cups in the recipe forum. Really good! and you'll never pick up another of ones with SA in them again. Plus, there are so many different types of recipes in here! Cheesecake for example. Make a couple different kind (peanut butter, choc., cappucino, etc), cut up in peices and freeze for different desserts. There are so many options out there without SA's in them, you just have to be willing to cook a little.

ANyway, Just MHO! Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:16

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

There are lots of posts from people who have stalled when using SA. No point in posting if they don't cause a problem. There are lots of us that use SA without any trouble. I probably have something with SA 6 out of 7 days. Use DaVinci syrup everyday in my coffee. (Is liquid Splenda considered a SA?) I really enjoy something sweet. If I'm going to be LCing the rest of my life, I need to be able to eat without feeling like I'm missing out on something.

Lost 40 pounds in 5 months, eating SA (mostly RS truffles and toffee) the entire time. Now I'm into Bryers Carb Smart ice cream with lots of whipped cream and walnuts a few nights a week.

I can resist the cake, ice cream, cookies whenever I'm offered them because I'm satisfied with my woe and I never NEED to eat the sweets like in the old days. Had parties Saturday and Sunday and passed on all the carbs both days, Upset the hostess Saturday but I was fine. I don't know if I would feel the same about passing up goodies if I didn't eat the SAs at home.

I notice lots of posts - couldn't resist the b'day cake, office party, Grandma's house, yada, yada.... Some of the people who keep slipping are the same people who tell you to leave your sweet tooth behind and avoid SAs. Easily said, not done. My sweet tooth is much less now and under my control for the first time in my life. Threw out my son's chocolate mousse b'day cake last week because no one was eating it and it was as hard as a rock. Last year I would have devoured it by the end of breakfast the next day.

I wouldn't be able to stick to the woe without SAs. I don't think that's terrible. I'm eating 100% healthier than I was a year ago. The whole family has learned to love veggies, some of which we never even knew existed before this woe.

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Barb
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:43

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

I eat the Atkins Endulge caramel bars and I still lose. Since I bought 8 last week I can't stop eating them. One or Two a day. I have found that I have to eat half at a time after a meal and drink lots of water with it or I get the runs and a rumbly stomach. I also found that if you take a piece and put peanut butter on it, its to die for.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:45

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitznoski
Now I'm into Bryers Carb Smart ice cream with lots of whipped cream and walnuts a few nights a week.

Barb

where do you get that??
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 20:33

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I was eating a low carb bar about once a day (about 2-3 grams carbs per serving after subtracting SA's). I was losing pretty slowly doing that but had not stalled. I decided to cut them out for a while and got a big box of strawberries. Now I've been eating about 5 strawberries with whipped cream the last 5 days and I've lost 4 lbs. whatdyaknow?