Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 22:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/255/170 Male 5 ' 10"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default planned free day

Hi,

I am wondering about the negative effects of a planned free day. I have come to the realisation that I cannot go without pizza. I have planned to have some pizza tomorrow but I am worried about how that will interact with the high fats of the Atkins.. I guess what I am trying to ask is... all the high fat and cholestoral is okay when you don't eat carbs and sugar but if I have a pizza every 2 weeks, what happens to the cholesterol from the previous or the following 2 weeks?

Will the planned cheat day mess up more than just my weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 00:02
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Hey Tubby,
Why not just order your pizza with extra sauce and cheese and scrape the toppings off the crust? (I do extra sauce to be sure it'll all scrape off and not stick to the bread) It still tastes great and you haven't cheated. i get a meaty and veggie topped pizza and don't feel deprived. I also get extra sauce on the side for anyone that wants to eat the denuded crusts. It seldom goes to waste.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 00:09
Registered Member

BF:

that is a good Idea
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 00:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%

I have 4 words for you....deep dish quiche pizza
I literally like it more than dominos or little caesers
you can get the recipe in the recipe forum I do beleive, just do a search for it
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 01:08

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

have you tried a low carb pizza crust? My DH and I made one a week or two ago and it was pretty good. Of course the crust was not like a real pizza but it was not bad, I would definitely make it again. The recipe is in my journal or I'm sure there are plenty of recipes for that in the recipe section.

We did alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce - lower carbs and tasty!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 01:34

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Going back to your original question. If you go and have a pizza then you will kick your body out of the fat burning mode and it will take a couple of days of good low carbing to get your body back on track. You will certainly see a weight increase, albeit water weight. The choice is yours. This will not effect your cholestorel levels provided you go back low carbing afterwards.

The choice is yours, however others have already given you some alternative suggestions to your dilemma.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 01:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the suggestions.. since I opened the tread I ended up ordering a small extra cheese and only ate 1/2.. I am looking at the deep dish quiche pizza recipe and the low carb crust..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 01:48
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tubby,

You could also check out the "meatza." It's become a staple in my household. My base isn't as fancy as Karen's though - I just use plain mince (ground meat) and mix with egg.

Plenty of LC options for you!

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 06:06

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I am also a pizzaholic. That has been the one food that I have missed terribly and been tempted by more than once. One thing that struck me in DANDR was that Dr. A said if you have a food that you absolutely MUST have, it is best to stay far away from it and not give in to it because you are likely addicted to something in the food. (I'm paraphrasing if you can't tell...lol).

One other item I am addicted to is Pepsi. A couple of weeks ago, I let myself have one for lunch (I've posted this before, so you may already have read it). Over the next week and a half, I had three more and the last day I had a soda (grape because they were out of Pepsi), I also had Pepperoni bread, which is very close to pizza. I could see where I was heading and that "just one pepsi" was turning into a big deal because I was getting to the point where I was letting myself have one at lunch every day or two and then I let myself go further with the pepperoni bread. I went back to Induction and over the past week, have dropped another four pounds. I had slowed down for two weeks or so to almost no loss and I know exactly what it was....the name was Pepsi!!!!

So, that being said, I would suggest getting over it...lol. Don't give it, just find an alternative. Also, as far as eating the topping, most pizza sauces are made with sugar, so be careful!

Good luck!

L
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 06:19

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I gave into pizza once before and boy was I ever sorry that I did,.... I gained 3 pounds when I weighed myself the very next day not to mention getting thrown out of ketosis and taking me a good week to get right back on track. I will never do that again it just wasn't worth it. So, I still have pizza but just the toppings, I can still enjoy the taste without all the carbs!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:27

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

The toppings are great! You should try it.
I was always one to order thin crust because I wanted the toppings and not the bread.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 14:56
Registered Member

Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Pizza

My husband orders a pizza EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT! Since he's been doing this for so long, I'm pretty sick of pizza. But, last Friday, 4 weeks into Atkins, it smelled pretty good. So I scraped the toppings off two pieces and had a green salad. It as fulfilling, and the crust went in the trash. Not a bad trade off.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 15:00

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

The deep dish quiche is the way to go. I usually make a pan and freeze it for when I want something quick. Forget scraping off the toppings when you can have this awesome dish.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:21

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I would go with scraping the toppings off. Maybe it's just me but the deep dish quiche I could not stand.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:48
Registered Member

Stats: 208/178/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I have been thinking about pizza too. Would this work (I haven't tried it yet)?

Toast a piece of low carb bread
add pizza sauce, cheeze and toppings
Bake

Might taste like those old english muffin pizzas I ate as a kid.

sc