Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Question Triglycerides...I Need Advice..Please Read

Hi everyone,

I posted this in another part of the forums, but someone suggested I put it here so I could get more advice. I posted this yesterday but it seems to have disappeared...So, here I go again.....

I got my blood work done 1 month b4 I started Atkins...Choestrol was 364 and Triglycerides were around 600. (I am predisposed to high TG's n cholestrol..Doctor said I could starve myself to death and they'd still be high. I've tried more cholestrol pills than I can post about) 3 month after atkins, I had them rechecked. Cholestrol 260, TG's 980....I had them checked again Sept. 23 after 3 more months on atkins.....Here is the latest result...
Cholestrol 254
HDL 22
LDL wouldn't register because TG's were so high
Triglycerides 2,609 (no, this isn't a typo)
Blood Sugar 102

The doctor told me this time "Get off Atkins, it's too much fat" I REALLY DO NOT wanna stop Atkins. It's the only diet I've ever had any success with. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm only 26, so I shouldn't be having these problems. I'm on a new cholestrol pill now called "Crestor" and I'm goin back in 2 weeks for a recheck. I also have an appt. with and Endrocrinologist on Nov. 18 to see what is goin on. (I also have Polycystic Ovaries) My reg. doctor seems to think he might be able to help w/ lipids as well as weight loss. I sure hope something does cuz I REALLY don't wanna change my diet. Has anyone else done a low fat version of Atkins w/ any success? Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
DD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi DD,

Did you read the excellent advice given to you by Doreen in this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=139555

Now you are off the cholestyramine, you may well find that your triglyceride count improves. Did you discuss the possibility of fructose with your pharmacist?

And as Doreen suggested, low fat is not necessarily the way to go, but do consider foods lower in saturated fat.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:34
LC,Gain,Repeat

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 278/253/220 Male 6'0"
BF:bouyant
Progress: 43%

Hey DD-

I'm sorry to here about your triglyceride count.

For what it's worth, I was on cholestyramine (the sugar-free kind w/aspartane) for
many years, & my triglycerides were always high- very similar to your first number.

The same doctor that put me on Atkins in July switched me to Lipitor instead.
My triglycerides have come down considerably since then. I don't know if it was
the drugs, or losing 30lbs.

In my case, the doctor believes that my weight is the primary problem behind
my HC & HBP. It sounds like your primary care doctor believes it's more than weight. I hope that the endocrinologist can shed some light on things for you.

Take Care,

Mark
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 11:23

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 181/176/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default High Triglycerides

DD: I also tried Atkins with the same results. My triglycerides skyrocketed to 1600 and my cardiologist had a fit. This led me to research why I was having no luck with Atkins while it seemed every one else with Typ II diabetes had improved triglycerides.
In researching I have found "Syndrome X", which answered all my questions. I would highly recommend the following book, particularly because of the polycystic ovaries combined with the high triglycerides. It is called "SYNDROME X-THE SILENT KILLER", by Dr. Gerald Reaven. Also SYNDROME X-The complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Insulin Resistance by Challem, Berkson & Smith. The following link will give you enough info to determine if you are interested in pursuing this further.
http://www.shamanbotanicals.com/synxhome/learn.htm

I urge you not to delay in doing something about your high triglyceride levels. Three years ago my triglycerides were 3,200 and 6 months later I underwent 5 bypasses. This was after losing 43 pounds on a "under 10 gms of saturated fat/day" diet.

Sincerely, Billie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

After 1 year on Atkins, my total chol went from 220+ to 156. My triglycerides are down to 50 now and my LDL is down from 200+ to 103. That's from eating 60%fat (half of that from saturated fat). They'd gotten that high from eating a "healthy" low fat diabetic diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 17:43

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

I implement low fat and low carb - but I eat 60 grams of carbs a day. This goes way back to a diet by a Dr. Stillwell (I think). It works great for me - I just watch the refined sugars and carbs and eat low-to-no fat cheeses and other dairy products. And as others mentioned, I watch trans fat and saturated fat. I wish you well - and am glad you're seeking out help. You need to get this resolved and I pray you do so.