Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question HELP I have question

Hi all. I have just started Atkins and am doing great so far. My hardest thing is finding food to fit my busy schedule. I have found some prepackaged ham cubes that are 3 grams carbs per serving. I don't understand where the carbs come from because there is no sugar or anything added. So, my question is... (and probably a stupid one) Can I still have them and do I count the carbs or is it a free protein like all meats? I am confused and hope that there is someone out there that can help me. Maybe pork is a bad thing. I just don't know and since I am doing so good I don't want to mess up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 07:48

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Counting carbs

Hi Lisa

Yes you have to count all your carbs. Most ham does indeed have carbs, some more than others. Maybe you could find a lower carb count and cut up your own cubes. Put them in little plastic bags. I prepare food like that all the time so I can just grab it and run and not be tempted to grab something else {usually high carb}. Keep up the good work, you're doing great.

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default Hi Lisa and Welcome!~

What some ppl do not know, is that sugar is often used to cure ham, and depending on the process, there will be varying amounts of carbs in it. How about getting some meatballs,already prepared, or like Akiwican said,cutting up your own ham. There is also many prepackaged meats, usually wafered meats, so watch the salts and nitrates on them... that can sometimes cause water weight and retention.Personally I prefer turkey sausage over pork, and you can always fry some up when you are not so busy, and have some already fried on hand. How about packing a small salad for your lunch? Or some hard-boiled eggs? plus some cheese strips? I buy string cheese, and that and a couple of hb eggs, makes a nice snack. Everyone has to find out what works for them tho. Visit the recipe forum and check out the many suggestions and recipes there. Perhaps there is something that will work for you. Good luck, and welcome to the forum,glad to have you join!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:26

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Lisa -

I am new to the WOL also, but I have found that there are carbs in the stangest places!! I even found added sugar in canned crab the other day (too bad I didn't realize it before I ate it....), the stomach ache clued me in! As far as counting carbs, if you are induction, it is a good idea to count 'em. I use www.fitday.com , it is a really good tool (someone on this forum told me about it) Before using fitday I thought I was being good and keeping the carbs around 20g, wow was I wrong!

As far as on the go foods, like Suze said, Cheesestrips are great on the go. I personally really like egg salad, and find it easy to prepare a couple of days worth at one time, put it into seperate containers and grab one for breakfast. Also, salami with a touch of cream cheese spread on it and rolled up is a nice snack.

Good luck !
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 10:29

Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all of your ideas. I love ham and figured it was an easy way to just grab what I wanted. I am so glad that I looked before I ate. I just went to the store and got string cheese and some ham that was only 2 grams carbs. It's better than 3 grams. I am now going to make chicken and egg salad. Guess I was just lazy and trying to save time. I do love this diet though. My husband said I am actually eating better than he has ever seen. I hardly ever eat meat. I lived on noodles and rice. Even though I sort of miss them I don't crave them. This is my 4th day and I was very tired, but I woke up this morning feeling great.! I have tons of energy and I find myself having to make myself eat. I work at home and usually I am picking all day. Now I don't even think about food. I hope this feeling lasts.
I was overjoyed to find this site and was so glad to find a response to my topic. It will be so nice to have support. It will make it so much easier to stick with it when the hard times come.
Thanks for the ideas and support!
Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 13:45

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Ham isn't a 'natural' cut of meat...like a steak..or chicken breast...

Ham is considered processes meat because it is cured and has sugar and fillers

Just like sandwich meat has carbs..it's the way they are processed...all meat is NOT carb free