Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 06:34

Plan: ATkins
Stats: 182/175/140
BF:
Progress:
Question Plateau after a week!

I need some help or advice!!

I started the Atkins Diet three weeks ago today and have been doing the induction diet all the time. After the first 5 days I was really impressed and had lost 7 pounds. Hence I decided to continue on the induction to see how much more I could lose (have about 35 pounds left to lose!). However, since then I have not lost anything and seem to fluctuate between just under my original weight and my new weight.

I am following the diet pretty rigidly and am drinking water, etc. I am in high Ketosis according to Ketostix. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? My husband started the same time as me and has lost 13 pounds and has a lower Ketones rating than me!!!

Any help advice would be gratefully received. I am starting to lose heart which is a shame because I seemed to do so well earlier.

Cheers

Emma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 06:40

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I'm a newbie myself really, but from what I have read in these forums, the darker color you get on those sticks, the more water you need to be drinking. I am sure the more knowledgeable people will explain it better and in further detail.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 09:22

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I will try and drink much more water and see what happens.

Maybe I should revist my book too!

Thanks again.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree, it sounds like you need to be drinking more water! How many ounces are you doing now? Remember this is straight water we are talking about - no diet sodas, coffee etc = those don't count!

I usually try to get in about 100 ounces or more a day, sometimes more sometimes less. I beleive the standard going ratio is 64oz + 8 ozs for every 25 lbs you want to loose.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 10:33

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Emma, here are a few links you should have a read through. Aside from increasing water you should always keep in mind that:
  • fat loss is not a constant downward progression. There are plateaus and stalls and there are sometimes gains.

The journey can take just as long to take it off as it did to put it on.

A stall or plateau are only stalls or plateaus when there has been no inches lost and no scale weight lost over the course of 6 weeks!

Men lose faster than most women because they have more lean muscle mass - they have a higher metabolism and they burn more fuel for energy.

There are somethings you can do to encourage you metabolism and increase the rate at which you burn fat, of course. Eat more often and eat enough, lift weights, avoid processed foods, drink green tea.

Have a read:

Do you really expect your progress to be all losses?

So, You Think You're a Turtle?

More on Fat and Keeping Calories Up

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 14:28

BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much for all your advice.

Have drunk water non-stop today and am going to eat more fat (still sounds weird saying that!)

Feel much more positive now. Will keep you posted

Thanks again!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 07:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to Zone
Stats: 134/125/120
BF:
Progress: 64%

Emmalees.....exact same thing with me. Lost 7 pounds straight away and for the past 2 weeks nothing at all. My weight has stayed exactly the same.

I find this disappointing to say the least. I did expect it to come off gradually, but am totally surprised the scale hasn't budged and is just holding steady. Not up not down just staying the same.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 08:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by toodlepip
I find this disappointing to say the least. I did expect it to come off gradually, but am totally surprised the scale hasn't budged and is just holding steady. Not up not down just staying the same.

Toodlepip, your body will let go of the fat when it's ready - not a second before. Consistency is important. Being patient is as well. If you're using LC as a 'diet' to lose a few lbs quickly then I totally understand having a 'dealine' If it's to be WOL (way of life) - a change in eating behaviour and pattern - then the fat will come off, and it will stay off. And you'll be all that much more healthier and better off for it.

Have you taken measurements? When the scale doesnt move often the tape measure does. Are you following the plan to the letter? Are you eating LC Frankenfoods, drinking enough water, eating your veggies? Have you done the math? - you lose 10% of your goal on Induction and 5% every month thereafter - with 15 lbs to lose in total you are right on track. Huge losses of 15 to 20 lbs on Induction are typical of those of us with 100+ lbs to lose. It works out to 10% of our goal.

Perspective, patience and consistency.
Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 03:11
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah Nat....you're right....I'm just being impatient...I want the weight off now dammit!!

I haven't been measuring myself but I can see some differences....my stomach being so much flatter....clothes fitting a bit better.....

Yup...am drinking the water....eating the veg.....did have a miniature ice cream on the weekend though....damn it was good.....
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
I haven't been measuring myself but I can see some differences....my stomach being so much flatter....clothes fitting a bit better.....

Well then you ARE losing. Just not on the stoopid scale Remember, that inanimate object really isnt your friend. Get yourself a good measuring tape and do the measurements. Who cares what you weigh at the end of the day - not like anyone is going to know! Weigh more and be smaller - it's a sign of lean mass, it means you can eat more and not gain fat.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 20:56
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Hi there!

Ya'll sound just like me at 3 weeks. I hit the same wall and was very discouraged. I would like to add to what Nat has said already ....that what helped me was to come back to this forum over and over again, talk to people, educate myself and get real about my expectations. I have come a long way in that regard and in accepting that LCing is a new way of life for me and that the weight just MIGHT not come off as fast as I would like. Oh well, what's the alternative??

C'mon, relax, settle in and have fun making new friends and getting educated about your new way of life!! The weight will come off, dontcha worry!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 01:56
Registered Member

BF:

You're both right....I'm going to chill out and not weigh myself every single day from now on.....
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 04:44
Starting Over!

.....not to mention that you're 5'4" and 123#!! Sounds like a very good weight to me....and perhaps your body agrees!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 05:16
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah Teri, I know I don't have a lot to lose, but there still are some flabby bits that need to go.

Moreso then anything else I want to change my attitude towards food and gain control. For years I have struggled with weight (an extra 10 - 20 pounds) and with binge/purge eating. I suppose in many senses I was a controlled bulimic, in that it wasn't an everyday thing, but I'd go through weeks of eating/throwing up and then get control and be fine for months.

And what I was binging with were carbs. Cereal, crisps and sugary foods.

I also did the reverse and went through stages where I kept my weight fairly low by over-exercising and strict calorie watching...and sometimes I just literally starved myself.

Lately I've realised I love cooking, I love food, I love going out for dinner but something has to give. I want to enjoy food, enjoy exercise (which I do) and not feel guilt. I don't want to think, oh well, I've blown it, I might as well eat everything in sight now.

I also realised the past few months that I'd get a bloated upset stomach after having cereal & milk for breakfast and often after a carb-laden lunch I'd nearly have to hold my eyes open to stay awake.

This woe of life is tough, I still have cravings but not half as bad as before - I'm not losing it and giving in. My stomach has gone down remarkably and for some reason my cellulite doesn't look quite as bad as usual - go figure!

Oh dear....haven't I just said a lot!!

Just figured I'd let you know where I'm coming from!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 07:45
Starting Over!

Quote:
Moreso then anything else I want to change my attitude towards food and gain control. For years I have struggled with weight (an extra 10 - 20 pounds) and with binge/purge eating. I suppose in many senses I was a controlled bulimic, in that it wasn't an everyday thing, but I'd go through weeks of eating/throwing up and then get control and be fine for months.

I'm glad you gave me more info!! This is a wonderful turn-around that you've made here!! But let me point out that you seem to be contradicting yourself.... you're struggling with the scale (same ol' same ol') but "more than anything else you want to change your attitude". So what I see here is that you've identified the problem but have not yet let go of your old way of thinking. That's normal for any transition, right? Your greatest step has been to realize that your attitude toward food needs to change.

Might I make a suggestion? Write down some goals....start a journal in the bootcamp forum .... emphasizing the emotional and psychological aspects of your situation, rather than focusing on measurements and scale readings. Take pride in accomplishment when you realize you've "done something different" rather than reacting the same ol' way that you always did. I think that has made a huge difference with me in being able to build my confidence and relax a little bit....takes the pressure off and makes life more pleasurable in general. Mind you, I still am diligent about what I eat and getting exercise...but I know that I'm doing the best I can and making PROGRESS. Progress is what we're looking for here!!

Best of luck to you....you're doing so well.... let me know if I can help.

Last edited by TeriDoodle : Thu, May-16-02 at 07:51.