Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/236/200 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Would This Work?

I Read This: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...tkins-diet.html

And Looked at The Typical menu, i thought that would be something i could manage, as i like and am not allergic to anything there.
But would this work,

Morning

Im not a big eater in the morning, mostly because i wake up feeling sick, So I Thought.

* 2 eggs
* black coffee

Dinner

I Start Work At 9:30 - 1:30, And We dont have a dinner break so i dont really eat until, 2-2:30. But I Have A Protein Shake Normally, Or Did When I Really Didnt Eat Anything for a while.
And ThatContains, 1.4 g (Carb), 1.9 g(Fat), I dont know iff that would be ok?
But This Is What I Would Do, Because iff I Have One Of These It Fills me For Around 3-5 hours.

* Whey Protein Shake

Tea

This Is Normally When I Have A Meal, When Im Tired. I will cut out what i shouldnt be eating, so i thought something like

* Fish or *Soup
* Potatoes
* black coffee

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Guess What Im Asking Is, Iff That Would Be A Good Start For The 2 weeks Induction thing?

Thanks,
Kleberson
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 17:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Please read the book so that you understand what kinds of foods contain the sugars and starches that are called carbs. Also, you would have a better understanding of the purpose of induction, which is to rid your body of the sugars and starches and the cravings they cause. The menu you suggest appears unhealthy for any phase of any eating plan. Where are the veggies? What do you normally snack on and when. You need to figure out what you will eat when you get hungry inbetween meals. Coffee is not on induction (though many people chose not to give that up, it can cause a slow down in weight loss), neither is potato. The sugar alcohols in the protein shakes can also cause weight stalls. You have too few calories, too few fats, too many carbs. This is not a healthy beginning to a low carb way of life. Remember, this is not a quick fix. It is a new way for you to eat and live for the long run.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%
Default What are your goals?

Your post raises a number of interesting points, but they all come back to a central reality: your diet is very limited. I think you might have more success furthering your fitness and health goals if you work on broadening your range of healthy food items, rather than do an induction type of thing, where you will be concentrating on limiting food groups.

The other thing that jumps out is that you feel sick in the morning, and that dicatates your breakfast choice, which is mediocre at best, and as we all know, what you eat for breakfast shapes what you eat for the rest of the day.

So first off, I would see if there is any way you can get yourself into eating a better breakfast....that may mean addressing why you feel ill in the morning, that may mean just setting things up so you can eat (like getting more sleep, getting up earlier, or not drinking black coffee first thing, finding a breakfast that agrees with your tummy, or having a well rounded pre-bedtime snack).

I think you might get a big boost here if you consult with a nutritionist, or a GP/nurse/naturopath with an interest in nutritional counselling.

Meanwhile, work at incorporating more fresh fruits, veggies, fibre sources and what they call "whole foods"...foods that are, as far as possible, unrefined and unprocessed. We can all help with menu suggestions there.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 11:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, other than potatoes and probably soup (depends on the soup) not being on an Atkins menu for induction or regular diet-phase I'd say that you're eating too little. Soup is tricky. It depends on the soup. I find there is very little soup out there that doesn't have too many carbs. If you make it yourself with broth, no beans, no starcy vegetables, meat and high fiber veggies, you'll do fine.

But it really sounds like you might not have gotten the message about what to eat/avoid on the Atkins diet. A review of the basics might be in order. I'd assume you can probably find that info on the www.atkins.com web site, and definitely in the book.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 17:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%