Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but now maint. as I'm prego
Stats: 293/240/190 Female 64"
BF:too much!!
Progress: 51%
Question joint pain and swelling suddenly..related to stopping LCing?

I woke up this morning with the most sore joints from my neck , to my wristes, elbows, fingers and knees!! What is going on?? I at first thought it was just a krick in my neck but soon saw that it was my whole body!
I must tell you all that since X-mas Eve, I have been throwing caution to the wind a bit. I finally succumbed to snacks and wanted to eat what I had prepared for our guests on X-mas Eve. Well, I have since had chocolate, fried foods,etc. while still having mostly LC stuff.

My fingers are swollen(I assume from the high salt foods I've been eating) or maybe related to this joint pain??
Also, let me say that my dear husband purchased some foo foo perfume form Estee' Lauder and after using it once, the next morning(day after X-Mas) I had broken out with total body rash! Needless to say, the perfume has been returned!!!

so, can anyone offer ANY explanation for the joint pain that came on suddenly?? If it continues, of course i will speak with my Dr. but until then, any info??
My husband and I will be going back onto induction starting Jan. 1 and I almost can't wait. I have been so good never really EVER cheating and I guess my body finally said, "do it for heaven's sake!!" and I did and it's nearly out of my system.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts on this. I'm quite uncomfy and achey.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 21:19
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I'll give you a one word answer to your problems that you're experiencing now.

SUGAR.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 21:24
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Until I got myself on Atkins and got CLEAN, there were days when I was literally stoked up. I was just so stiff and sore. My joints ached. I worried about how I would feel when I was 80! All problems have been gone for months now. So I decided to cheat one day. Nothing big, just a few bites of some sugary something. Next 48 hours, just like before, miserable and stoked up. Back to Atkins. Slipped again, and again another 48 hours of misery. Now I tell myself that bite of ______ is POISON TO ME. WHY WOULD I WANT TO EAT SOMETHING THAT IS POISON?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 07:01
Registered Member

Unhappy stiff and sore joints

blue flyer,
I wondered if it could be the sugar since this Christmas eve was the first time I introduced it into my diet for months now.
But can sugar cause the swelling? I woke up this morning unable to close my left hand and I'm really swollen. Walking was hard at first and my darn knees feel like they are going to buckle as I go to sit.
I had my hubby make me a grilled cheese sandwich with Lc bread for breakfast instead of sausage cuz I'm so afraid of added salt with this swelling. I'm going to be really good and see if it improves. This is unbearable:I can't even change my daughter's pullups or grab anything. My husband tried to give me Advil and I couldn't hold the pill and it dropped into my water.

Anyone else get this from a sugar binge???

I need people to tell me so I stop being so scared. Or has anyone gotten this with flu that is going around?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 07:23
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by supbughan
blue flyer,

Anyone else get this from a sugar binge???

Yep I'm there right now (Stupid chocolate orange!!!!) My hands are so swollen and stiff that it hurts to bend them and the skin is tight and shiney. (I'm not even going to TRY to get my rings off....)
I'm swollen and achy everywhere... The only thing that gets rid of it (For me at least is getting back on track.

#6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 08:07
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

pump in the water, and stay away from anything with salt. It is normal water weight gain from sugar. I had it too after christmas eve and day. My fingers were so swollen I could hardly type. I restarted induction yesterday and downed 4 liters of water and had a 3 pound whoosh of water weight, and peed all day. Only 2 pounds left of the 5 I regaind during my 2 day's of stupidity. It is definatly not worth all the bloated gas pain, water gain, and sluggish feeling (not to mention kicking myself out of ketosis) to cheat on those things I cheated on.

Remember it's only food. It was there before, it will be there again, only when we are stronger, thinner and in more control hopefully we will be able to leave it alone or eat just a little not the whole thing.

I'm going to try to start telling myself, I know what _____ tastes like, I'm not going to die without it, and I will feel so much better if I don't eat it. That's hard to do when you crave something, but it must be done.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Default joint pain

Kathy and Seto Kaiba,
Thanks so much for calming me! I really cant believe how bad I feel. It makes me wonder how filled with sugar I was before starting Lc to not even notice how puffy and swollen I was!!
Anyway, I too am being really careful now, not having any salt(only Salt Subst.) and no foods with high salt(sausage or bacon ) and I'm praying that by Wed. New Years EVe, I will be less puffy and feeling like i can walk! We are going camping with a bunch of friends and I'd really like to be able to get inside my tent without a forklift to help me

What is the scientific reason for the achiness or is that just because of the swelling that my joints hurt so bad??

Thanks for the info...you guys are awesome!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:55

Plan: Atkins - Modified OWL
Stats: 290/250/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

drink plenty of water!