Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:12

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Getting real about my goal weight

Originally, my goal weight was 170. The last time i weighed that was in high school and I was on the swim team. I worked out every other day and swam 3 hours every day (minus meet days and weekends). So, unless I were to go back to that schedule, I doubt I would get back to that weight. Let's face it, a seventeen year old metabolism is MUCH different than that of a 30 yr old with two kids.
Then, my goal weight was 180. Better, but I didn't weight that on my wedding day!
So, I modified my goal weight to 190, my weight before I got pregnant. My last known feel good about myself and my body weight.

Hey, I can always change my goal later. Plus, I think I will let my body decide where the goal is. If it wants to stop at 190, so be it. Go on, okay, let's go.

BTW, if anyone thinks that my numbers are too high: I am 5'8" and very big boned. I may weigh 217, but I wear a size 16 comfortably. My weight is solid and I function at a higher weight than WW or any other diet industry says I should. Dr. agrees that I should NEVER dip below 170.

Sorry for defending myself, I find I do that a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 09:23
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

The point is that you should pick a weight that you feel comfortable with. You can always change it later if you want to.

As long as you don't try to post your goal weight too low most people here would be supportive, I'm sure.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:14

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I put a goal in my profile but quite honestly, if I never lose another pound I am happy at the weight I am now because I am healthier, slimmer and I feel alive and sexy! I can shop in "normal" stores and wear "normal" sizes and this was confirmed yesterday when I went and tried on bathing suits and every one of them fit me - some better than others - but none were "too tight" (they were all sizes 12). I ended up buying two of them - - NEVER have I had such ease buying a swimsuit before. I owe it to two things: My LC way of life and the fact that I am working out 4-5X a week religiously.

So I'm with you!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Good for you for being senseable about the goal, I see many here that to me seem way to low. We have to adjust according to age and natural build to a suitable figure we can reach, not just dream about. Your a Smart lady

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: BE AT 225 BY 6-14-04!!!
Stats: 380/315/225 Female 5ft4in
BF:225 BY 6-14-04
Progress: 42%
Cool I can only handle 25 pounds at a time!!!

I guess cause I have so much to lose I can only think of 25 pounds at a time. A couple of years ago losing from 380 down to 300 was so exciting to me.. You have never seen anybody so excited about shopping at Wal-Mart. So right now at 5'4" andd 325 pounds I just wanna get to 300 soon. After that I'll shoot for 275. But you know what will really be cool, shopiing in the regulat clothes and not the womens sizes. You know not having a W after the size.

Keep the faith!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:29

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Clothing size is so hard for people to tell... at my current height (5'11") I just hit size 12, at about 190 pounds (I'm fluctuating from 187-190 as my morning weigh-in this week). At 225 pounds, I was a size 18. I remember telling one of my coworkers at size 16 how much I'd love to be a 12, which she thought I was at the time. (Maybe she was just being nice?)

Now I'm at a 12 and am starting to get a lot of "skinny" comments... can't wait to see what I look like when I'm no longer overweight and get rid of all this annoying tummy/butt weight by exercising! I do think 12 on a tall girl isn't all that bad at all.

The fun thing about 12 is it suddenly takes me into "normal" stores in New York... before, Old Navy was about the only place I could find decent clothes in my size. Now suddenly much more of H&M is an option. If by any miracle I ever make my wide hips fit an 8 (doubtful), then all the trendy boutiques downtown will be available...

Oh, I set my goal weight just under what's considered the upper edge of "normal" weight for my height. Once I hit 180 I'm no longer considered medically overweight. So I'd like to hit that and go slightly below. I don't really want to be super-skinny, but healthy would be nice. Once I get there I'll see how my body looks and make up my mind if I want to work to lose more weight, or just start working to maintain that.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 08:30

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Congrats!

Good work! Being tall works for you! I am 5 ft. 3. period. I am 140.25 right now - & just - I mean "just" under the overweight line. My BMI says I should not weigh over 140.9 or I am "unhealthy and overweight." I'm at the top of the BMI scale too. Normal is considered 18.5 - 24.9 The next number up is 25 - whatever, so if I round down - I am w/in the guidelines - just "barely." It makes me crazy! I was 210 Jan before last. This is work & never enough! I want to get to 135 (HS weight) - not sure I will be able to maintain that - but it's my "goal." I always wished I were taller - I have friends whose "frame" allows them to carry much more w/out anyone guessing. I'm sure there is a down side to that - (?) ; ) In the end we all have to look in the mirror & make that decision. I have people at work also - that (well meaning) make those remarks about going too far - but I know what I look like naked!!! ; ) Good luck on your journey & thanks for letting me vent!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 09:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 176/138/120 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 68%

Setting real goals is good. For me it doesn't work though.

Back to the 176 pounds, I was doing everything to loose weight. The only way I managed to do it was when I stopped thinking that I had a goal. My only goal was and is, tomorrow to have at least the same weight as today. No frustration, no goals, nothing.
Do you know young children doing the opposite of what other's are saying? If you tell them "don't do this", they most probably will do it. Well, that's how I act in the case of diets. So I just say to myself. Don't overdo it.
Being on Atkinks I'm between 10-15 grams of carbs every day. I know I CAN eat more. I just don't do it! Freedom is what actually makes me weight less!(Are we sure I'm 27 years old? )
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 18:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/199/165 Female 71"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareny
Clothing size is so hard for people to tell... at my current height (5'11") I just hit size 12, at about 190 pounds (I'm fluctuating from 187-190 as my morning weigh-in this week). At 225 pounds, I was a size 18. I remember telling one of my coworkers at size 16 how much I'd love to be a 12, which she thought I was at the time. (Maybe she was just being nice?)

Now I'm at a 12 and am starting to get a lot of "skinny" comments... can't wait to see what I look like when I'm no longer overweight and get rid of all this annoying tummy/butt weight by exercising! I do think 12 on a tall girl isn't all that bad at all.

The fun thing about 12 is it suddenly takes me into "normal" stores in New York... before, Old Navy was about the only place I could find decent clothes in my size. Now suddenly much more of H&M is an option. If by any miracle I ever make my wide hips fit an 8 (doubtful), then all the trendy boutiques downtown will be available...

Oh, I set my goal weight just under what's considered the upper edge of "normal" weight for my height. Once I hit 180 I'm no longer considered medically overweight. So I'd like to hit that and go slightly below. I don't really want to be super-skinny, but healthy would be nice. Once I get there I'll see how my body looks and make up my mind if I want to work to lose more weight, or just start working to maintain that.

We're the same height and I just made it past the 200 mark. My 14's are just beginning to feel a bit loose and I was thinking another ten pounds and I'd be squarely in a 12. Nice to hear that I'm on the right track.

I can't decide what my goal should be. I have a very large frame size. I had my elbow breadth measured properly and it is way past the large frame cut-off. A little over 2.5 inches is considered large frame for my height. Mine is closer to 3.25! I'm guessing that makes it Extra Large. I put my goal as 165 but I'm not even sure if that would be attainable or desireable. 175 may look much better on me. I like the way my body was when I was about 19-20 but I didn't start weighing myself until I felt like I was getting too big, so I don't know how much I weighed when I was happy.

I was talking with a friend who has no idea how much I weigh. She knows I'm losing weight but not the numbers. I told her I had no idea what weight I should aim for and she said 145 sounds about right for my height. I nearly fell over. I'd be emaciated at 145!

For those interested in the frame size thing: http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 08:35

BF:

I had a big frame on the elbow measurement also. For whatever that is worth. ; ) I never thought I would get back to this weight. Using BMI should weigh 123. Don't see that happening. Not sure I'm ever going to get to "my" 135 goal! I'm having fun along the weigh tho. And I give myself a 5 pound comfort zone - for TOM or the weekend or the holiday or whatever I feel is important enough to give in for. I tire of people telling me I need to give in more...I still feel it's dangerous - in the back of my mind. I have yo-yo'd before and don't want to go there again. I was 280 (top) then 240 (next top) and 210 (last top). I quit smoking one year and three years before and would see someone smoking my old brand - I'd bum one - just to see...and buy a pack and then a carton. I know now - not one drag and I don't smoke. One drag, and I do. So, the idea of splurging - scares me [for reason.]
Only you can decide what size you need to be. I think real friends will be honest with you. Others will blow air or derail you. I think often, well-meaning folks place such doubt in us about our own body image - that we begin to doubt whther we are the ones to make the decision. Believe in yourself!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 12:30
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm
We're the same height and I just made it past the 200 mark. My 14's are just beginning to feel a bit loose and I was thinking another ten pounds and I'd be squarely in a 12. Nice to hear that I'm on the right track.

I can't decide what my goal should be. I have a very large frame size. I had my elbow breadth measured properly and it is way past the large frame cut-off. A little over 2.5 inches is considered large frame for my height. Mine is closer to 3.25! I'm guessing that makes it Extra Large. I put my goal as 165 but I'm not even sure if that would be attainable or desireable. 175 may look much better on me. I like the way my body was when I was about 19-20 but I didn't start weighing myself until I felt like I was getting too big, so I don't know how much I weighed when I was happy.

I was talking with a friend who has no idea how much I weigh. She knows I'm losing weight but not the numbers. I told her I had no idea what weight I should aim for and she said 145 sounds about right for my height. I nearly fell over. I'd be emaciated at 145!

For those interested in the frame size thing: http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html

Thank you for including that link. I've been wondering what the best "goal" weight for me is too. I put in 134 because that's what I weighed when I was going to the gym all the time, and that's when I last felt good about myself. I've been at a lower weight than that before, but by going to the gym a lot, I was able to eat more food and look pretty good at a higher weight (around 135).

This being said, I've often felt frustrated about the fact that at 160 pounds or so, I look FAT. Furthermore, it seems like all the blouses, sweaters and tops I try on are too big in the shoulders, with the sleeves always being a wee bit too long. Yet, I'm just over 5 feet, 6 inches tall...so I'm not exactly considered "petite". When I've tried on pants, skirts and so on from the petite section, they're all way too short.

With the help of that link you provided, I was able to finally understand that even though I'm not "petite", I do in fact, have a very small frame - and this explains some of the trouble I've been having with clothes and all. My wrist measured in at 5.5 inches or so, and my elbow breadth was just shy of 2.5 inches.

So maybe once I get to goal weight, I'll be shopping in the petite section for tops and the regular section for bottoms. My ideal weight for my height and frame size is more like 118 or so, not 134. This being said, I plan to get into the gym thing again soon...so we'll just see what happens when I get "there" (close to goal).

Thanks again for providing such a helpful link
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 09:27

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 216/176.5/170 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:43%/29.3%/22%
Progress: 86%

I set my goal at the top of my BMI scale. I figured I would get into "healthy" range and then if I could lose more then fine, if not, that would be fine too.
I am 5'9" and carry my weight well but at 216 I was in a size 18 and could not deny the double chin. I am getting there slowly but surely. People keep asking me my "secret". I told them watching what I eat and working out 4 times per week! There is no magic pill, you have to work at it!
I was thrilled this weekend to go buy size 14 pants. Those size 12s are calling my name!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 09:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/135/125 Female 5 ft 5
BF:way too much
Progress: 68%

Great work at changing your goal, and being real with yourself ! I have no idea what my goal should be actually

My highest weight was 170 two years ago...I went through high school and my twenties, at under 120. I was an avid gymnast, very small boned at 5 ft 5.

Can I get back to 125 ? Not really sure ! My goal is to be fit, and toned. I think that would mean coming in at 125..but heck I could be off. I am a size 6 now, so I have no aspirations of getting to a 4 or a two...I could care less about that. I just want to be healthy and fit no matter what the weight !
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/169/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think having healthy weight goals is a must. Anything over a healthy weight goal is more about vanity. I admit it I'm vain and want to go lower, but reaching my healthy weight goal is more important and therefore my most important goal. I am 5'7" and weigh 170 right now, I have a question because my size 12's fit too loose and I believe I have already dropped to a size 10. This seems very different from others LCing that are roughly my height and weight. So the question is am I a larger frame person or a smaller frame? My doctors only focus on my BMI being a healthy weight but have never given me a goal in that area. BTW my shoulders are broader than broad but I don't know if that has to due with my frame or not. I'm confused, can anyone help here?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 08:32

BF:

I asked a plastic surgeon. My doctor hadn't a clue. He said I had a "medium" frame. When I was larger, I preferred to think it was "large!" ; ) Now, I don't have a lot of weight on my hips and when I button my jeans - I feel the pressure on my hip bones. I'm thinking I won't get much smaller in that area. I could be wrong tho - this is a totally new feeling for me. Hell, realizing I have hip bones is new for me! But, I am loving it! I think goals are important and need to be attainable. My first was 175, because at 210 that seemed huge. Muscle does weigh more than fat - back to the original question...