Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/144/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default cravings getting worse Need Help

I am starting my second week of induction and my cravings are getting worse. I can't take it!!! I want chocolate and sweets soo badly. How do I fix this? are there any salty treats I can have. There has to be someting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:31

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

That happened to me the first time I did LCing. DON'T GIVE IN. I know it's hard but keep a list of everything you crave, then see if there are any low-carb options. Like, I get bad chocolate cravings around my TOM. I bought some low-carb chocolate and every craving I get I pop a LC piece of chocolate. (The kind I got has .2 net carbs per piece) It only takes a taste to get rid of your cravings. If you need any help coming up with food solutions, let me know and maybe I can help.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:44
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would recommend you try L-Glutamine. It made an amazing difference to my cravings - completely removed them.

Dr Atkins recommends 500 to 1000mg 3 times daily, ½ before meals. I took 500 3 times a day - that was enough to prevent those vicious cravings.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:47
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I found that a bit of heavy cream, whipped with splenda on top of SF jello did the trick for me. I no longer have cravings so hope you get past them too! Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 23:50

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Ditto the L-Glutamine!! Powdered form, disolves instantly in water, goes directly to the brain and curbs those cravings! Hang in there! Keep your calories up with FAT. Whipping Cream with a splenda is great!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:30
Registered Member

Stats: 310/310/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Guys, What is L-Glutamine? Where can I buy some? I tend to have the same problems with cravings. Some days I am okay and others I CRAVE!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:39

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

Check all of your products for hidden sugars. I can be rollin' along and BAM! craving, usually because of a hidden sugar.

Also, artificial sweeteners may be a trigger as well - check your AS consumption and see it is high or you have cravings following consumption.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Where do you find the L-Glutamine in powdered form? I have tablets but am interested in something that works quicker.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:10

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

Roasted Salted Macadamia nuts.... Almost taste like cashews but expensive. 1 oz about 1.7G effective Carbs --- Total Carbs - minus Fiber

Sweet treat - SF Jello - I mix different flavors

I'm dying too but these help... My wife and niece who lives with us are chocaholics so I have too many SUGAR filled treats tempting me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:43
Registered Member

Stats: 228/228/175 Female 71 Inch
BF:
Progress: 0%

You may also find if you are drinking coffee that it makes cravings worse - I do find that, so I only have an occassional cup of coffee.
As for L-glutamine my local health food shop does it and the make is Solgar.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 17:36

BF:

Yes I buy L-Glutamine at the health food store. You may have to ask for it. The last stuff I bought was made by Weider and they clain it is 99% pure. I bought this at Wal-mart 150g, I can't recall what I paid.

Solgar has excellent products as well, I have been looking for their Chromium for a few years though and I cannot find it here in BC.

I know everyone suggests SF Jello for a sweet treat, I am not really a big fan but I do buy the sugar free pudding and mix some with water and then mix that up with whipping cream, that does the trick for me. I also buy Oetker pudding and mix that with water or cream.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 18:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Hey KrakerJak! You DON"T need the caffiene, if you can set yourself a date, over the weekend when you don't have class, you can get through it. I work 3rd shift, so I know the feeling that you NEED the caffiene, just break your self of it, you will be suprised how you feel! I may be talking a little smack though, as I am a smoker, but I promise you, let go of the caffiene and you will feel so much better!!!!

Robin
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 17:30

BF:

thanks for all the suggestions. During my first week i stuck to decaf but the headaches were unbearable and as a college student i NEED Caffeine!, so I put it back in. I wonder if half a scoop of decaf and 1/2 of caf would minimize my cravings. I guess I will try all of these suggestions to see what works. Thank you
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 20:59

BF:

I tried to do without the coffee, I spent a whole week with migraines. I missed class or left class early cause I couldn't take it. The whole idea of avoiding coffee if I remember correctly is that studies have shown it slows down weight loss and induces cravings. While I do have cravings I find myself less hungy throughout the day when I have my caffeine (coffee!) in the morning. I really don't think I'm ready to give it up, plus how am I to stay awake at night to do homework If I am wrong about the studies and reasons behind avoiding caffeine can someone please please let me know. I hate to walk around with false information thank you
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 22:50

BF:

Hi
I saw this tea in my local coffee shop and I thought of you here!
Yerba Mate' is a tea that has a similiar component as caffiene! Has all sorts of health benefits too. South Americans drink it like we drink coffee.
Here is another link with a few links too!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=79740