Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:dunno
Progress: 100%
Default glycemic load

hi so can someone please answer this...

"low carb " foods made with sugar alcohols arent really low carb are they, since they have carbs? they are really low glycemic load, since they produce about the same glycemic load affect as other low glycemic load foods, such as beans, correct?

in that case, why cant one eat beans or other low glycemic load foods on a "low carb" diet since a low carb diet seems to be a low glycemic load diet?

because polyols are carbs, they just have a very low glycemic load????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:52
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Jabby

Don't take my answer for the gospel truth, its just my interpretation of it. I am now trying the Montegnac Method which is based on Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load. There is a difference in theory between Lo Carb like Atkins and what I would call Controlled Carb like Montegnac. I think though that because of the way the Atkins is set up - Induction- then the different levels of OWL(introducing carbs slowly and 1 or 2 types of new carb at a time that it is basically following the principles of the glycemic load.

I'm not sure about sugar alcohols - but I have a vague voice whispering to me that they are not advocated on any of the diets.
They might have a low glycemic load,(also some believe they can fool the body into acting as though sugar had been eaten or to anticipate sugar and set off an isulin reaction) but that's where common sense comes in a person has to think which is the wiser choice some beans that have a low glycemic load or a starburst candy or a few jelly beans (believe it or not a lot of candy is actually quite low on glycemic load). Maybe thats why Atkins is so precisley laid out at different stages, he wrote the book for the masses and the only way to guarantee wise choices is to make it an absolute yes or no choice.

Dealing with the glycemic load can be a delicate balance because it is possible to lower the gl of a high load food by eating it with one that has a lower value.

I'm still learning this so I really shouldn't say too much more as I'm just a junior in the class

Last edited by KoKo : Mon, Mar-03-03 at 19:55.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:55

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default some ideas

Jabby,

Maybe this will help.

For many people, the body does not recognize sugar alcohols as fuel and therefore does not metabolize them. For them, there is no carb effect.

For other folks, the body does metabolize sugar alcohols, with the same result as if they were carbs.

Beans just aren't allowed on Atkins induction. Other food plans do allow them, always in moderation!!

Unfortunately for some people, beans and other higher carb foods cause carb cravings that can lead to carb binges or other negative effects (elevated insulin, shakiness, sleepiness, headache, etc.). So everyone needs to determine for themselves what effect, if any, such foods have. BTW, all beans do not contain the same number of carbohydrates (soy beans, for example, are lower than many others.)

Many simply do not partake of higher carb foods and sugar alcohols because of these negative effects.

hth,
Pokey One
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 21:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:dunno
Progress: 100%

thanks for your reponses