Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/220.5/130 Female 5'3
BF:Don't Know.
Progress: 25%
Default The dreaded scale.

I have not weighed myself since I began Atkins on July 8th. I'm am terrified to weigh myself again. Good news may make me over-confident and therefore make me more likely to cheat. Bad news may depress me and therefore make me more likely to cheat. It's a lose/lose situation with me and a scale. Is that odd? I've decided to weigh myself monthly on the 8th of every month. I figure that as long as I am feeling good and my clothes are fitting well then I should have nothing to worry about. And for the record I am feeling GREAT and my clothes seem looser! My only concern is that I may begin to stall and not realize it. Do you think that would be a problem? I guess the question is....how often should I get on that #~$#~%~#$#~ scale??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:35

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%

Once a month is fine... Most of us wish we could stay off the silly thing for that long. Personally, I weigh 1-2 times per week, but then I am on maintenance. Do what's comfortable for you--

#3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:49

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I used to be obsessive about that stupid scale....weighing daily. I now weigh myself 2-3X a week at most and so far, the scale has been kind
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 10:54

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

I weigh in every Sunday. It's the longest I can go at a time. And I find it encouraging. And if not encouraging, because there were a few weeks that I leveled off and was stuck, it made me really look at what I was eating and get back on track.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 11:36

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Ok, the scale is only one method of feedback on how you are progressing. Does the fact that your closes feel looser make you want to go out and cheat? Why would the scale be any different? What about taking your measurements? Do that once a week and forget the scale. But again, if the tape does or doesn't move is that going to prompt a cheat.

I personally weigh myself nearly every day but Sunday is my "official" weigh in day for the week. I have learned that my week flucuates daily, even hourly and not to get upset with whatever the results may be.

You have to have confidence in the long-term results and be prepared for plateaus from time to time. This is a long-term plan we are on, do not get deterred by short-term results!

OG