Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/192/175
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Sugar free Bacon?

Does anyone know of any national brand (usa) bacon that is NOT cured with sugar, I went to a few stores, checked all the ingredients, and even though all say 0 carbs, they ALL were cured with that damn sugar....So if you know of one, pass the knowledge on :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 13:13

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Post bacon

Ryan,

Sorry, I really don't think there is a national brand of bacon made without sugar. That's kind of the nature of the american food industry!

However, I see that you live in Denver....If it's worth it for you, any non-vegetarian health food store that has a deli section will carry no-additive bacon. That means no sugar, no nitrites! It tastes more like real meat too. That's the cool thing about living in the city, so many more choices......at least when it comes to food, anyway. Our low carb friends in the country have all that fresh air.....

I don't know about you, but I'm a poor college student, and really can't afford to buy the yummy organic stuff much. I just suffer with my little bit o sugar. I'm not much of a straightliner though.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 13:16
Registered Member

Stats: 262/192/175
BF:

I will check this out for sure, time to get out the yellow pages, thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 16:43

Stats: 364/320/280
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Counting Bacon?

If bacon has no carbs then what exactly is the problem? How does bacon cured with sugar affect where I should be counting carbs?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 22:44

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Odinisgod....good question? are they just not labeling the carbs?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 22:59

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

Gwaltney...Their Bacon is Sugar-Free [though not Nitrate-Free] and sold at both Winn-Dixie and Super Wal-Mart. Strangely enough, their Hot Dogs have more Sugar [5-8g per Dog if I remember correctly] than any other brand I've seen.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 00:09

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Okay! If you don't mind a few nitrates now and then (and I don't--about once a week) here ya go!

WalMart--Gwaltney
A lot of other stores--John Morrel (just watch the John Morrel because some has sugar, some don't.

Hot Dogs & Lunch Meats--Foster Farms (turkey franks ONLY!) and some of their lunch meats don't have sugar, AND they're affordable!

Saweetie, if it has sugar in it and it shows no carbs on the label, then it probably falls into that less than one carb area and they don't have to show it. Say 2 pieces of bacon had .75 carbs in them and you ate 4 pieces--well, there's 1.5 carbs you didn't even know about.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 10:12
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use Jennie-O extra lean turkey bacon. It has no sugar in the curing and comes out extreamly crisp.

If something has sugar it has carbs. In the US as long as there is less then .9g per serving they can list it as 0 carb. For some people even small amounts of sugar can trigger cravings and they prefer to avoid it.

I'm in the camp you can't totally avoid sugar and small controlled amounts combined with protien won't kill me. However I also belive when I buy meat I want meat. I don't want tosmething that has been injectted with sugar, salt and every chemical under the sun. Just give me my meat dammit
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 17:35
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I use Jennie-O extra lean turkey bacon. It has no sugar in the curing and comes out extreamly crisp.

If something has sugar it has carbs. In the US as long as there is less then .9g per serving they can list it as 0 carb. For some people even small amounts of sugar can trigger cravings and they prefer to avoid it.

I'm in the camp you can't totally avoid sugar and small controlled amounts combined with protien won't kill me. However I also belive when I buy meat I want meat. I don't want tosmething that has been injectted with sugar, salt and every chemical under the sun. Just give me my meat dammit

I totally agree with you, LadyBelle!! I've been known to throw a hissy fit in the grocery store at least once a week because I can't find REAL FOOD anywhere! I'm eating low carb to control my blood sugar so that hidden stuff really messes me up! I was so mad when I saw the sugar AND dextrose added to bacon. I'm heading for WalMart to find the brand mentioned here.

I also went on a search for nitrate free bacon and found that Hormel actually sells some.....for like $6 lb.!!! Gotta pay more for leaving the crap out!

Speaking of unnecessary additions....in all canned tuna packed in water you will find soy and vegetable broth as ingredients. I asked WHY and it seems that Starkist feels the vegetable broth ENHANCES the tuna. WHAT????? I'm beyond crazy with all this. They're trying to kill us...that's got to be it!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 19:05

Plan: Low Carb/Paleo/Primal
Stats: 193/184/130 Female 62 inches
BF:Too much/?/25
Progress: 14%

I buy uncured,nitrate free bacon from Trader Joes Love that store. You can also find uncured lunch meat that is nitrate free. I don't know if you have a Trader Joes by you or not.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 23:23

Plan: nominally Atkins
Stats: 149/132/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I love Fletcher's Dry Cured bacon. I don't have any left right now, but if there's sugar, it's very low (no carbs listed). I like it because they don't have added water like most brands, so it doesn't shrivel up to nothing! I don't want to be paying for water when I buy meat.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-27-11, 14:26

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 226/220/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 7%

look in your phone book for butchers... they are still out there and mine has great bulk bacon, and carb free sausages...
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-extended induction
Stats: 372/328/225 Male 72in.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I've been buying Applegate uncured bacon at central market. Its not cheap but it has 0g of sugar and 0 nitrates. Good stuff!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 14:55

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Gwaltney makes bacon with and without sugar. The sugar free is in green packaging and says sugar free on the front.

It is crazy how difficult it is to just get regular, plain, whole food without spending a fortune. Just try to find a roasted chicken anywhere that hasn't been injected with a sugar solution or coated with a special "rub" that has sugar and flour in it!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 15:21

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

I vote for Gwaltney as well. Another brand that is 0 carb is Kunzler. Interestingly, I find both these bacons far nicer and tastier than the major brands which contain carbs.
And yes, Marieshops, the whole "injected with x% flavoring solution" is so very annoying. Sugar, salt, preservatives, moisture retention agents, tenderizers ... sheesh, if animals were bred and fed properly, none of that would be necessary. We'd pay for it in price, but I'd rather pay more than eat the doctored stuff.