Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%
Default OK, I am fatigued

I hate to admit it, but this week I have been very fatigued at Curves. It is like muscles just poop out during the last ten seconds on the machines. I was up to three circuits prior to lowcarbing again, and I cut back to the normal two during inducion and felt fine. Now two circuits just about killed me this week. I eat breakfast and take all my vitamins and drink 24 oz of water prior to going, but still felt the same.

Monday: Pure Protein shake

Good multiple
Bone Supply calcium plus magnesium
Chondroitin
Wellness formula (all kinds of good stuff)
Potassium

Tuesday:
1/2 cup full fat cottage cheese with salsa. Two Morning Star breakfast links (only one gram carb in those) Tea with cream.
All supplements

Wednesday:
two softboiled eggs with plenty of butter. Tea with cream and splenda
All supplements

I worked out on all three of these days and no matter what I ate, I still felt yucky during my workout. Anyone else have this or have suggestions? Maybe a bit more carbs at breakfast, like some strawberries?

Hmmm, I have never had this before...

~Shelly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:23

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

That would be my suggestion. The more exercise you do, the more carbs you need. I've had a long discussion about this with maureen (mmoranmic) who runs awesome long distance races. Neither of us seem to be able to exercise at any great intensity without extra carbs.
I run up a smallish hill in the morning with my dogs for my cardio and I drink 200ml of grapefruit juice before I go. Without this I just 'run down' before I get to the top!
When I'm hiking all day with a big pack, I need to up my carbs quite a lot.
I posted about this in a thread called 'big hills and a big pack' recently and a few other people added things about their exercise and carbs which you might find interesting.

I think you just experiment until you find the level which works for you. Incidentally, my theory is that I burn off all the carbs in the juice going uphill, so I don't count it in my daily allowance! Seems to work!
Take care, Jay
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:31

thanks Jay! I am inclined to agree with you! I live in Strawberry country and have them around all summer, so I think I will eat a few before hitting the gym. You are right, they will get burned up quickly.

Think I will invest in a cantalope and grapefruit as well!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins, then BFL, now Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 144/111/112 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 103%

Well, this is only my opinion as I am not an expert, but I think there are not only not enough carbs but not enough food either. I would crash and burn for sure.

What stage of Atkins are you on? Maybe you could try increasing just a little at a time to see what produces a good workout for you.

I hope working out gets better for you.

Denise
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:43

I am in OWL now, so I can add some more carbs for breakfast. I can't eat a huge breakfast then go to the gym...I'd throw up! This is basically to take my vitamins and then go work out. I eat more when I get back, for sure. I have never been a huge b-fast eater and consider is a feat that I eat every morning now.

~Shelly
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 17:49

Stats: 238/216/195
BF:28%/17%/14%
Progress: 51%

Are there other symptoms as well? Can't sleep as well as you used to? Breathing racks the whole body. You feel fatigued during the day when your not working out. Feel lethargic and spaced out? Muscles ache at the slightest strain or give out easily?

What's your complete workout schedule? You write as if you work out more than just Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. If you have most of the above you could have over training symptoms. Your body is telling you that it needs a rest. Take a few days off it wont hurt. When your rested up you'll be back better than ever.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:25

This is the first week I have had any fatigue at all. Sleeping fine and feel good during the day.

I do three-four days of circuit training a week (Curves), for 30-45 minutes, play one softball game and walk/hike or play tennis on Saturdays. I don't think I am overdoing it (used to be a personal trainer/fitness instructor) yet. Think maybe I need a few more carbs in the AM on workout days...

~Shelly