Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-24, 17:36

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Limiting ultra-processed foods does not necessarily make for a healthy diet

I have no idea if this website is the least bit reliable, but I'd consider at least some of the information in the article to be utter bunk:

Quote:
Limiting ultra-processed foods does not necessarily make for a healthy diet

A new study demonstrates that eating primarily minimally processed foods, as they are defined by the NOVA classification system, does not automatically make for a healthy diet, suggesting that the types of foods we eat may matter more than the level of processing used to make them.

Comparing two menus reflecting a typical Western diet -; one emphasizing minimally processed foods and the other emphasizing ultra-processed foods, as categorized by the NOVA classification system -; the researchers found that the less processed menu was more than twice as expensive and reached its expiration date over three times faster without delivering any additional nutritional value.

"This study indicates that it is possible to eat a low-quality diet even when choosing mostly minimally processed foods," said Julie Hess, PhD, a research nutritionist at the USDA-ARS Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, who led the study. "It also shows that more-processed and less-processed diets can be equally nutritious (or non-nutritious), but the more-processed diet may have a longer shelf life and be less costly."

Mark Messina, PhD, director of nutrition science and research at Soy Nutrition Institute Global, will present the findings at NUTRITION 2024, the flagship annual meeting of the American Society for Nutrition held June 29–July 2 in Chicago.

The new research builds on a study the team published last year, which demonstrated that it was possible to build a high-quality menu that aligns with dietary guidelines while deriving most of its calories from foods classified as ultra-processed. For the new study, the researchers asked the opposite question: Is it possible to build a low-quality menu that derives most of its calories from "simple" foods?

To find out, they constructed a less-processed menu, which derived 20% of its calories from ultra-processed foods, and a more-processed menu, which derived 67% of its calories from ultra-processed foods. The level of processing involved in each menu was determined according to the NOVA system of classification.

The two menus were calculated to have a Healthy Eating Index score of about 43-44 out of 100, a relatively low score that reflects poor adherence to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The researchers estimated that the less-processed menu would cost $34.87 per day per person compared with $13.53 per day for the more-processed menu. They also calculated that the median time to expiration of the less-processed menu items was 35 days versus 120 days for the more-processed menu items.

The study draws attention to the disconnects between food processing and nutritional value. Hess noted that some nutrient-dense packaged foods can be classified as ultra-processed, such as unsweetened applesauce, ultrafiltered milk, liquid egg whites and some brands of raisins and canned tomatoes.

The results of this study indicate that building a nutritious diet involves more than a consideration of food processing as defined by NOVA. The concepts of 'ultra-processed' foods and 'less-processed' foods need to be better characterized by the nutrition research community." Julie Hess, PhD, research nutritionist at the USDA-ARS Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center

Objectives: The “clean eating” trend of consuming primarily foods with simple ingredients suggests that consuming fewer processed foods is a requisite aspect of healthy dietary patterns. Yet research indicates that a menu containing mostly ultra-processed foods (UPFs) can meet nutrient and diet quality recommendations from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Whether a diet comprised mostly of simple ingredient foods can provide a low-quality diet remains unexplored. The objective of this study was to compare the diet quality, shelf stability, and cost of two similar Western-style menus, one containing primarily energy from UPFs and the other containing primarily energy from less processed foods, as defined by the Nova food classification system.

Methods: First, a less-processed version of a Western menu (less-processed Western, LPW; more-processed Western MPW) with a Healthy Eating Index (HEI) score of approximately 43 was developed to align with the HEI score of the previously developed MPW. Processing level was determined by Nova categorizations assigned by external graders. The final menu was assessed for nutrient content and HEI score. Shelf stability of foods was determined with information from food storage guidance manuals. The condition of each food item when purchased (shelf stable, frozen, refrigerated) was used to estimate the number of days until expiration. Food and menu costs were determined using retail prices at a Midwestern grocery chain in Fall 2023.

Results: The LPW and MPW had similar nutrient densities and HEI scores (44 and 43, respectively). The LPW included 20% energy (kcal) from UPFs, while the MPW included 67% energy from UPFs. Relative percentages of shelf-stable, frozen, and refrigerated foods were similar between the two. Using the Kaplan-Meier survival analysis method, median time to expiration of the LPW menu items was 35 days versus 120 days for the MPW menu items. The “per person” cost was $34.87/day for the LPW and $13.53/day for the MPW.

Conclusions: The less-processed and more-processed menus both provided low-quality diets. However, the LPW was more than twice as expensive as the MPW and had a shorter overall shelf life. Level of processing is not a proxy indicator of diet quality, and less processed foods can be more expensive and have a shorter shelf life.

Funding Sources: USDA Agricultural Research Service project grant #3062-51000-057-00D

Source: American Society for Nutrition Article Revisions

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...px#commentblock

The comments on it are absolutely scathing - and with good reason! I only read as far as their claim that it costs so much more to eat a less processed diet than it does to eat a more processed diet before I knew it had to be absolute bull.

I can't even begin to imagine what unprocessed foods they were buying that cost nearly $35/day per person, while the processed foods cost less than $14/day per person.

And yet they failed to mention what foods were actually included in either diet. They only hint they gave was a short list of foods that could be considered ultra processed, but are not terrible for you - foods that could easily have been included in their 20% ultra processed diet.

I want to see what else was on the 2 diets, and what criteria they used to determine how healthy it was. Was it just macros with a low fat and cholesterol content? Low sodium? Percentages of the RDA for the few vitamins and minerals that are listed on food labels?

What about unprocessed foods that have no nutrition labels? Were they automatically considered low nutrition because there's no label declaring how good it is for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-24, 14:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The study hasn't been published. It will be presented as a poster presentation.

Food Choice, Markets and Policy (Poster Session)

(P08-012-24) Unprocessed, but SAD: A Standard American Diet Made With Less-Processed Foods Is Still a Standard American Diet
Sunday, June 30, 202412:45 PM – 1:45 PM CTLocation: Poster Board 234
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-24, 17:10

BF:

After I posted that, I remembered this part:

Quote:
Processing level was determined by Nova categorizations assigned by external graders.

Reminds me a lot of the Guiding Stars healthy food rating system they implemented for foods at the grocery store where I worked.

https://guidingstars.com/

They rated each food as good (one star), better (two stars) or best (3 stars). If it wasn't low fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, low in added sugars, and high in fiber, it received no stars at all.

They also considered what percentage it had of the few micronutrients that are listed on the label (Vitamin D, calcium, iron, and potassium are the only micronutrients required to be on the food label)

That meant a lot of meats and dairy (minimally processed) received zero stars and were automatically considered to be unhealthy due to the saturated fat content.

On the other hand, those UPF toddler tubes of highly processed sweet fruit smoothie with a tiny bit of vegetable in them would get 3 stars, as would the toddler fruit and grain bars - because they had fiber, and no sugar added to them (even though some of them had fruit juice concentrates, but that's not considered to be added sugar)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-24, 06:29

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
nutrient and diet quality recommendations from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans

Which got us where we are today.

I have reached the point where much of what the world regards as food I regard as a concocted travesty of delayed consequences.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-24, 08:56

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have reached the point where much of what the world regards as food I regard as a concocted travesty of delayed consequences.

I agree. I have always remembered what Richard Feinman said in his book “The World Turned Upside Down”: Nutrition science is an oxymoron.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-24, 07:43

BF:

UPF manufacturers are taking advantage of the DGAs.

If they can manufacture something with low enough overall fat content, sat fat content, sodium content and added sugar content for a stated serving size, then they get to claim that it's a healthy food. Never mind that the package contains 15 servings and most people would eat at least 3 servings - the nutrition stats for the stated serving size is what matters.

And the big thing is that having a carb count in the stratosphere is fine - as long as not too much of it is added sugars. But the higher the percentage of the RDA of total carbs, the better, especially if you can consider any of it to be fiber.

So if they can manufacture a product that uses a lot of grains/flour (cheap), vegetable oils (cheap, with none of that pesky sat fat or cholesterol), and come up with a serving size that gives a good percentage of the RDA of carbs, and maybe even provide some small amount of fiber (even if it needs to be pulverized so it's not discernible from the flour, because even a tiny bit of fiber looks good on that nutrition panel), but still keeps the overall fat and sodium content low, minimize added sugars by using something like maltodextrin or maltitol to help sweeten it - they will make a huge profit on it, while claiming it as a healthy food.

The manufacturers also know that between the addictive nature of starchy and sweet (with just the right amount of salty - mostly added to the outside of the product so it's perceived on the tongue as saltier), they'll achieve the addictive quality that will have consumers eating several times the stated "serving size" at one sitting... and heading back to the store for more, more, more for profits, profits, profits.

It reminds me of someone telling me about these wonderful frozen treats (some kind of popsicle type thing) and that they were sooo good, but had "almost nothing in them!" This person was looking at the percentage numbers, and of course it had no fat, sat fat, or cholesterol. It also had no sodium, and maybe a couple grams protein from non-fat milk (but protein doesn't have a number in the percentage column any more). It was all carbs, but the carb count was so low compared to the whopping 300 g of recommended carbs that even if it had been 30 g of carbs, that's still only 10% of the RDA for carbs so to this person it looked like "almost nothing in it!!!"

The junk manufacturers really do take advantage of the supposedly healthy dietary guidelines.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-24, 10:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Omg. What crap.

Some 20 years ago I made simple meals foe my family because of the impact of 4 strokes.

Cook a meat. Unpackage, put on roasting pan, salt it. Put on oven 1 hour.

Microwave potatoes.

Microwave a bag of frozen vegetables. Add butter.

How easy is that?!?!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-07-24, 13:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Omg. What crap.

Some 20 years ago I made simple meals foe my family because of the impact of 4 strokes.

Cook a meat. Unpackage, put on roasting pan, salt it. Put on oven 1 hour.

Microwave potatoes.

Microwave a bag of frozen vegetables. Add butter.

How easy is that?!?!

This is why I would really like to see what foods were on their lists - if you go by the list of things that make food ultra processed, the frozen vegetables and butter in your simple meals could be considered ultra processed.

(I was going to bring the list of what NOVA said are signs of ultra processing over here - the list was extensive, but I can't get back into the site again, so I'll just quote myself from a post about the list:

Quote:
According to the list Nina Teicholz provided of characteristics that supposedly describe what makes a food a UPF the factory produced bread containing the exact same ingredients as homemade is all it takes to make it UPF. And I think that was one of her main points - there are too many things on that list which only describe manufacturing processes which have nothing at all to do with the nutritional value of a food that has the exact same ingredients as a home made food. By the same token, as explained (I can't seem to get back into the article to see if it was her or if I read it somewhere else), if you make something like cookies or cake at home from ingredients that are not healthy, that doesn't make it any better than a UPF - but if you base it on that crazy list, somehow it's not a UPF because you made it at home - which gives home bakers a free pass to eat as much homemade cake and cookies as they want.

With that in mind, the frozen veggies would be blanched in a factory, then most likely flash frozen (a factory process), sent along the factory line and factory sealed in plastic bags with a label on it - that's enough processing to consider it to be a UPF, even though it's similar to home freezing methods.

The butter is also made in a factory - churned, salted, formed into sticks, wrapped in paper, and finally packaged in a multi-layer box with a label on it (which I would imagine the inner and outer layers of the cardboard box are plastic). Most of that process is the same you'd use to make butter at home - but because it's made in a factory, and goes through some extra steps with the packaging, labeling, and especially since the outer box of the packaging has plastic coatings on it - yep it could be considered to be UPF.

The meat might even be considered to be UPF, because it also goes through a factory, and generally ends up packaged in plastic with a label.

So while I suspect that's the kind of foods they chose to meet the criteria for healthy UPFs, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they sought out the most expensive versions they could find for the ridiculously expensive non-processed foods... $35 day... utterly ridiculous, unless you're going to exclusive specialty shops (a different one for each item) and buying the most expensive items available. And more than you can possibly use in a week of all those items, since they claimed there was so much waste with unprocessed food.

This is what I imagine they did:

Start with a custom cut, organic, grass fed Prime Rib from a butcher shop. If they have Wagyu steaks, those would be excessively expensive, so buy some of those too. Buy more organic meats - a whole turkey. And a chicken. Also get a pheasant if they have those. And a duck. That's enough meat for a few weeks, but remember we're trying to prove that fresh unprocessed foods cost a lot more and don't last as long as UPFs, so we're buying the most expensive fresh meat we can find, and buying more than we can possibly use before it goes bad. Next stop, buy a lot of out of season organic veggies and exotic organic fruit from the most expensive grocery store in town - make sure they don't look very good, because we want to prove they don't last as long as ultra processed...

And so on and so on...
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-24, 03:34

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

They don't need to work hard to confuse people, because they can pay to flood the zone with their nonsense. They created this unhelpful system of nutritional information, because it serves their interests... which is now shown, like the tobacco industry, to be antithetical to the interests of the greater population.

One of the reasons they have to make so much money is that they need that much money to keep this giant bag of hot air afloat. Then deduct the "advertising" as a business expense.

It's not that people don't read the labels. When they try, they are still not getting the right information. Got to make that Carb Quota!