Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 12:55

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question How do you tone up your back & shrink your waist?

I am almost at my goal weight I exersize 4 to 5 days a week. Doing both cardio & resistance exersizes. I know how to do exersizes for your abs I just don't know of any for the back which still seems to have a little bit of fat on the lower back & waist area that won't shrink. I don't want to bulk up , I bulk up easily because of my height & boyish figure.

Josie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 07:44
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

the only thing I can think of for your situation would be to look into pilates. (this seems to be something I keep repeating)
To me, because I find it hard to build, the more muscle I can get the better, but if you don't like how you look with more muscle then go with pilates... or similar type exercises. They won't cause you to bulk, but they will keep you strong and supple.
Your body type may not allow you to have a tiny waist in comparison to your hips, but you can be trim. You can tell if you're a tiny waist candidate by checking how many inches there are between your last rib and your hip bone, if there is not a lot of space you will never have a tiny cinched waist. This is not to be pessimistic, but so that you can set realistic goals for your own body.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 18:47

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Shrink your waist... that comes down to dieting and cardio.
Tone your back.... how about back extensions? They are also good for your bum!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 08:31

BF:
Default Thanks Meg & Fern

I been wanting to try pilates they look hard to do. I do have a short torsal I am 5ft but my husband is 6ft4in & his pant lenghth is only 2 inches longer then mine , Mine is 30 lenghth , but his is 32. My waist is 4 inches from my hip bone. So I kind of wondered about that.
Fern , What are back extensions & how do you do those I do those . I hope doing those I won't lose my butt I barely have one . I am pretty much straight up & down. I do those one exersizes where you are on your hands & knees & you do back leg lifts. I just started those about a month ago, I lost some of the fat but I still want to lose more.

Josie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 13:28

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

#6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 13:34
Registered Member

Hey Fern, it is nice to see all of your posts around again!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 09:58

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Meg_S
Your body type may not allow you to have a tiny waist in comparison to your hips, but you can be trim. You can tell if you're a tiny waist candidate by checking how many inches there are between your last rib and your hip bone, if there is not a lot of space you will never have a tiny cinched waist.

Meg.......

I don't think this method is always accurate.

I'm very short waisted with only about 2.5" between rib and hip bone, but there is a 12" difference between my waist and hips and waist and bust.

JMHO
Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 22:23
Registered Member

I stand corrected, I should have used the words probably and most likely when making that statement. I should have known better as my own grandmother has a figure like you described with yourself. However, I don't think I am far off the mark when it comes to most people, esp those that describe themselves as long legs and straight up and down.

Meg
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 06:51

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Josie-
This is a Back Extension . There are actual padded machines at a gym (usually) specifically for this exercise so you wouldnt have to use a bench. This video looks like she is doing them on the machine I just described: Back Extension Video

Hope this helps!
Linda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 08:27

BF:

Thanks I'll have to try these.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 23:10
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

A couple of lower back exercises I know:

Dead lifts. Bend down at the waist picking up your weights and keeping your legs straight (but be careful!) slowly lift the weights by straightening up to a completely upright position.

Lay on the floor face down with your legs straight out and your feet together. Place your hands under your chin. Slowly raise your upper body, keeping your legs on the floor. Hold for a few seconds and lower back down.

Paleoanth
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 00:07

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/176.5/135
BF:Post partum 8/8/02
Progress: 36%

Josie...

I'd have to agree with Meg about Pilates. Great for strengthening lower back!! Here's something I like to do to get rid of lower back flab...

Buy one of those big inflatable exercise balls (about $10 at Walmart or similar store.) Lie on the ball, tummy down. Keep your head facing down. Raise your right arm straight out in front of you while raising your opposite leg. Now switch...raise your left arm and right let. After only about three on each side...you'll feel it. You can also do this lying on the floor without the ball. I think the ball gives you more support and a better range of motion, though.

Good luck,

Megan

p.s. look into getting Pilates...I think it can work for everybody!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 16:56

BF:
Smile Thanks you all

I have been trying some of these back exersizes. Their a little difficult since I never done any back exersizes before. I am seeing some improvements already I guess since lossing the fat. Oh and I got that book Pilates for Idiots, haven't started reading it yet though. Hope this works.

Josie