Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Jan. - Let's Talk About Induction Foods

Happy New Year Everyone!!! I thought January would be the perfect time to help all our "newbies" and "those back on induction" get on the right track. Think about the things that helped you get through Induction.

Be sure to include carb counts. At the end of the month I'll post all your original creations in the Member's Recipe Section.

My favourite Induction Food Recipe is already posted. I really like the Egg Mockmuffins. I make them and keep them in the freezer so I always have something ready for breakfast.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

This is a wonderful idea for a thread, Sharon! Thank you.

I have three things that are very simple that I fall back on. I'll post them one by one.

The first is so informal it's hardly a recipe, but it helps me when I hit the "I can't stand eggs" wall. I was reading Fran McCullough's cookbook and found her Russian egg salad (basically, hard-boiled eggs, sweet butter and pecans) and lacked both the sweet butter and the pecans. But I always have bacon

For one serving:

2 hard-boiled eggs
4 slices bacon, crumbled
softened butter to taste -- at least one tablespoon.

I cook a dozen eggs at once so they'll last me through the week, and get both eggs and butter out when I get up so they'll be at room temperature. Cook the bacon to nearly crisp, chop or crumble. Slice the eggs. Mix lightly.

Oddly -- and I've seen others mention this too -- on the days when I can't face scrambled or fried eggs, hard-boiled ones are just fine. Someday, I'll try McCullough's original one, with the pecans.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:56

BF:

I had trouble eating salad -- it wasn't part of my natural diet This is incredibly simple, yet very satisfying.

6-8 slices bacon, fried to nearly crisp (or burned to a crisp, or drippy, whatever you like)
small head Boston lettuce

Fry the bacon, wash, dry and pull the leaves off the lettuce. Wrap the bacon pieces in lettuce.

When I posted this, Nat added a variant:

Add Havarti cheese slices
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:59

BF:

Another "I don't cook" recipe.

I buy London broil at the deli section of my grocery store. Of course, you could cook it yourself, or you could use plain roast beef.

For one:

3 thick slices London broil (cooked)
Boursin, or other spreadable, spicy cheese

You could eat this cold, or at room temperature. I spread the cheese on the London broil and heat it briefly in a toaster oven. Serve with side salad and it's a very quick and easy lunch.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 12:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

Super-easy Pickled Eggs

Save the brine from a l liter (quart) jar of dill pickles. Hard-boil a dozen large eggs (yes, they will ALL fit in there ). Peel while still hot, and put them in the jar of brine. Refrigerate for 3 days -- give the jar a shake now and then, or rearrange the eggs, to make sure the ones at the top get fully submerged in the brine. After 3 days, they're ready

One large egg has 0.6g carbohydrate. As long as there is no sugar in the pickle brine, then there will be negligible added carbs from that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Serve with plain mayonnaise, or I like to mix 1 Tbsp mayo with 1 tsp prepared horseradish as a nice zingy dip for a trace of carbs.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cold, sliced roasted pork loin (boneless).
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
A "strip" of real Mayo (I use a squeeze bottle).
All wrapped in a romaine leaf lengthways.

Delicious, crunchy, cold and very satisfying.

A Three-Egg Mushroom Omelette with a Side Salad and Blue Cheese Dressing.

Delicious, warm and readily available at any family style restaurant when I fail to pack a lunch and start to lean toward non-LC!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Egg Foo Yung! For breakfast, lunch or dinner!

In a small frying pan over high heat - nonstick works great - cook 1/2 cup of bean sprouts and 1/2 cup of cooked, diced meat over high heat in 1 Tbsp. oil until the sprouts wilt. Add 2 eggs beaten with salt to taste. When the bottom starts to set, pop it under the broiler until firm. Eat with a splash of soy sauce.

Carbs: 4
Fiber: 1

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 01:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Did any newbies come across or invent any great recipes for during induction? if you did, why not share them?

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 23:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

Hi,

This is my Induction Invention:

Easy Dim Sum without the wrappers

1 lb extra lean pork
1 lb lean beef
1 egg
1 can water chestnuts
bunch of shallots
soya sauce
pepper
salt
chicken broth

You could also add some ginger to this.

Place all ingredients in cuisinart (except broth). Pulse till very smooth. Drop in boiling broth. (I'm not sure about carb count on the broth) but I usually just pluck them out of the soup. And when cravings hit I even eat them cold straight from the refrigerator.

Enjoy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: Scarsdale
Stats: 195/195/130 Female 5 inches 7 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 0%

I dont know if this is an induction food, but I love egg white omelette with bell peppers and onions and a dash of pepper cooked in a non-stick pan.