Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 23:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Help, lately I've been getting heart burn!

Does Atkin's give you heart burn, because I never used to have this problem. I wouldn't even now what to take for it because like I said, I've never had it before. Help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 23:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hmmm. Generally it's just the opposite. There is one thing, though, that will give me acid reflux since being on Atkins and that's too much mayo. I can eat just about anything else in any combination, but too much mayo will do it sure as anything.

How long have you been suffering with it? Previously, my main times for this kind of thing had to do with hormones.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 23:57

Plan: ****
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 25
BF:
Progress: 29%

The only thing that gives me heartburn is partially hydrogenated oil. What are you eating? Have you changed anything recently? You may have a food allergy or (I really hope not) gotten a dose of helicobactor pylori.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 01:15
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 86%

I've had acid reflux problems for years which goes well beyond occasional heartburn, but a few tips that might help anyway. If your biggest problem is at night, avoid eating anything 2-3 hours before you lay down. High fat foods late at night will difinately make it worse. I like alot of hot spices but have to be real careful about those in the evening. Try and elevate your head with lots of pillows if nighttime is a problem.

I take prescription Nexium, but there are several over the counter meds now that will help. I take prescription Zantac at night which is available over the counter in lower doses. For mild cases you could always take Tums, but I'm not sure of the carb count-I know there is a sugar free version but don't know what it is sweetened with.

If it bothers you lots, don't ignore it. It can do a real number on your esophogus over time. If I happen to forget to take my Nexium in the morning, I KNOW it within just a few hours which is true no matter what diet I'm on. I think it is totally unrelated to low carb for me-I can blame genetics knowing how many others in my family have the same problem regardless of weight or diet.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 05:51

Plan: No Starch/High booze diet
Stats: 235/183/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Bah not sure..
Progress: 95%

Hot dang.... the complete reverse was my case. I had severe heartburn for over 4 years... and eating LC was what took it away. I have not had a bout in over 8 months. For me it was the simple fact I got rid of anything processed.

It was never the spicy stuff or even the overly fatty stuff as my doctor had indicated but rather carb/starch rich foods that may have also contained fat and lots of spice (example: pizza). I would get the worse heartburn from say a plate of pasta with alfredo sauce or a plate of nachos. Veggies, meats, fats on their own never did and still do not. The more complex the meal is the more I would get heartburn. Eating basic foods just took care of it for me.

It sucked when Rolainds and Tums actually represented a food group for me. Glad those days are way behind.