Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 13:08
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default New BFL'er

OK, lived through my first week of BFL. Thanks to Nat and everyone else who answered my questions. I'm still not totally in the groove, but I think next week will be better. I've done two resistance sessions, one upper and one lower body and three HIIT on the treadmill. (You're absolutely right, Nat, the HIIT is a killer!) Next resistance session is tomorrow, and then Sunday is my blessed day off.

However, I am modifying things a bit by doing 3 sets of 15 reps for each exercise instead of 5 or 6 sets, and wonder if this will make a huge difference. I'm working to failure in virtually every exercise.

And I THINK I've finally gotten the eating correct, again thanks to Nat and the wonderful stickies on the forum. Also thanks to hcomeau and everyone who's answered his/her questions.

Any advice about the 3 vs 5 or 6 sets? I'm working for the next two weeks with a trainer who really doesn't want me to do so many sets. After that, though, I'm on my own.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 16:05
Get’n Skinny

Plan: BFL
Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

Rose,

IMHO, I don’t think you can go wrong by following the book to a “T”. My wife and I just finished our 9th week, and we haven’t modified any of the exercise routines. We have been sticking to the program, and it works!

Congrats on finishing your first week. Stick with it and you’ll be amazed at how your body responds.

-Dave
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just a couple of thoughts, Rose.

As you're doing 3 as opposed to the pyramid style in the book are you also doing a warm up? The first two sets done a la BFL are warm up sets, with light weight, to losen the muscles.

The biggest difference you would notice, IMHO, would be if you'd been doing the 3 x 15 for a while and were continuing on with it - the body responds to change (and being shocked), which is why the HIIT works so well for those of us who've been doing hours and hours of moderate cardio.

WTG on finishing up W1; here's to W2

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 12:13
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Thanks for your advice, nomonic and Nat. Tomorrow I have a weight training day without the trainer (I took today off instead), so I can sneak in those extra sets as warmups. I think the reason she doesn't want me to do all those sets is that she says I need to tone, not to lose fat. But my actual bodyfat percentage is a mystery--it ranges between 20-31%, depending on the method used to measure it, so I'm not convinced that I don't need to lose fat.

A couple more questions, though, if you don't mind. I've read Hussman's whole site--what a great source of info!--and have decided to add back some low-glycemic fruits, in small quantities. Aside from veggies, my main source of carbs has been nuts, and they're dangerous for me because I really overdo it. So I'm going to try some fruits instead. Good/bad idea? I'm talking apples, berries, melon--that type of thing. Best on lifting days only? Or for HIIT days too?

The other question is about setting goals. The reason I started low carbing in the first place was for a cholesterol problem, and it's been working. Weight is a secondary issue, but I did lose some weight and don't necessarily want to gain it all back. I've noticed since beginning weight training (even before BFL'ing) that I have gained back about 3 pounds. My clothes do seem to fit better, though. So I'm not sure how to articulate concretely what I'm striving for. A certain BF%? Clothing size? Weight? Cholesterol value? (That one's tricky, because it can only be measured every 6 months or so). How do you measure "health," anyway?

And where do those Smarties fit in all of this?

Thanks in advance!