Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 05:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Clothes shopping horror

I went clothes shopping about a week ago and the most horrific thing happened! I went to the check out and this girl who was about a size 4 held up the pants that I was buying in front of her, so she could fold them to put them in the bag and there is where the horror began! She looked like she could fit into one side of my pants! I was so mortified! It's hard enough when I go shopping and can't buy anything that I like but then to spend 3 hours shopping and have to be horrified like that is just total trauma! I really need to go again because I lost a bit and can't fit into my old clothes but I keep putting it off because I am so embarassed.
I just recently started to notice how I avoid certain situations because of my size. I never really paid attention to it before. I wonder if these new revelations are a good thing or not.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 05:46
Registered Member

Stats: 203/143/140 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Goodness. It's ok. One of the things I have learned is that I am ok too. No matter what I look like. Yes, go shopping again. It can be a rewarding experience. But maybe find a shop that has people who could be customers working in the store. That always helps to boost confidence.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:15

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

Look at where you came from. You have lost 19 lbs.
That is HUGE! That is a BIG deal.

You will definately be a whole size smaller now. Go shopping and instead of being horrified at the little sales girl, just imagine that soon you will be the same size as her!

Your on your way. I used to worry the same way you did, but my husband always said a phrase that we repeat often and it is "We are looking up (forward) not back (past) or present."

So look up! Ahead of you I see a new pair of pants in a smaller size, and a smiling face, and you know how I know that? Because look at our stats. They are almost identical and after 17 weeks (4 months) I am down 49 lbs and 4 sizes!

Tell me now, what do you see up ahead? Look up!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:25
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Shopping used to be very traumatic for me as well. I usually shop online as a result.

When I do shop in stores, I shop at places that I had established a rapport with a salesperson there. For example, I shop at Casual Corner and Chicos a bunch. Not only does it help to know the people in making you feel more comfortable but, the saleslady that I use at CC has cheered me along my weight loss when buying clothes. Not too long ago she said, remember when you could fit into things in August Max too. That was a great feeling.

Cheer up! It gets much better! However, your pocketbook may suffer as a result!

Dana
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:25

BF:

I want to be positive like you two, really. I was going to put a "but" in there but instead I will say that I am scared because I don't want to let myself get too excited about losing weight and then end up putting it back on. I know I can control if that happens or not (to some extent) howeverl I am such a pessimistic individual! How do you get away from that and be optimistic? Being pessimistic is so damn habitual!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:16

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
Being pessimistic is so damn habitual!

Exactly. It's a bad habit, like chewing your nails or twirling your hair. And you break it like any other bad habit...every time you catch yourself in it, you just make an effort to think the opposite way. Look on the sunny side! Make it a new habit.

Because the only person you have to convince is you. No one else can do it. Don't let that be too much responsibility for you. This is the way it's supposed to work! What if other people could change us, willy nilly? Oh, that's worse.

And don't compare yourself to anyone. While I was losing, I was looking at a co-worker who is so much smaller than me. And she is small! I'm almost a head taller than she is. My shoulders are six inches wider. My arms and legs are longer. And my butt is always going to be wider than her butt.

Just go for your personal best. Low carbing WILL work! There are lots of people who have made it work for them.

The fact that you've lost means it will work for you!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:26

BF:

Dana, I think we have a chico's near here...maybe I will give that a shot!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:31
Getting back to me

BF:

Chicos is a real booster cuz the sizes run 1,2,2.5,3.. and alot have elasticized waistbands. I used to wear 3s and now I wear 2s. My daughter's closet is no longer safe!

be sure and get a passport card so you save 15%...it's not a credit card...more like a frequent buyer's card and it's free.

http://chicos.com/store/products.asp?CollID=1

Let us know how you do!

Dana
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 08:35

Plan: non strict Atkins - don't
Stats: 160/129/132 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakins
Chicos is a real booster cuz the sizes run 1,2,2.5,3.. and alot have elasticized waistbands. I used to wear 3s and now I wear 2s. My daughter's closet is no longer safe!

Dana
You had me so confused w/ those sizes! LOL I just clicked the link and NOW I understand. Wow, I'd be jumping for joy! A size 0 for me!! YEah baby!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:36

BF:

Thanks for the link!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:40

BF:

I wonder if I could fit into a 3... probably on the bottoms I could but I am so top heavy! My shoulders are broad, too so I usually end up looking like a tent to get something that goes around my chest and shoulders... I have mucho fat on my back, as well (anyone know any good exercises for that?)

Chico's has an outlet in a mall near me so I think I will go try one of the 3s to see if they fit before going through the catalog
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:53
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Don't worry - you will never put any weight back as long as you stay on the plan and you will never have to feel hungry either. Anyone who is seriously on this WOE will tell you the same thing.....

Soon you will be tossing too big clothes all over the place......and buying more skinny ones

Good luck!

Alina
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:43

BF:

Thank you all for the encouragement! I am going to go get a measuring tape, scale and some new clothes today (not too many, though because I plan on NOTbeing able to wear them for too long)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:45
Getting back to me

BF:

Skip the scale and buy another pair of earrings...

Dana
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 08:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Adkpam.... Dr Phil would be SO proud of you. <sniffle>