Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 22:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/220/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up hello

hello all I am starting the Atkins diet tomorrow.. 11-9-01. I have done alot of reading about this diet and it sounds like it might be the one for me!! I have tried the meridian, xenical, xenadrine, weight watchers, jenny craig... and countless others and nothing has ever produced the results that i want.. I am all ready to start and look forward to posting my results on this new adventure of life.. My only concern is that i have read a few posts about the Atkins diet and how some people have lost alot of hair... ahhh I don't want to lose my hair!!! If anyone has had this happen or if anyone knows more about this Please let me know!! thanks!! ~~Ali~~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 02:35
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Smile Hello

I'm glad you joined the forum i'm new here myself i started 11/29/01 so far i have lost 5 lbs and inches...i only measure and weigh on mondays so i dont get upset if i have a bad day or water weight gain
the first couple of days you might feel bad but by day three you will feel so wonderful
about the hair loss well one of my friends takes her normal multi-vitamin and at bed time she takes a pre-natal vitamin...and her hair is long and pretty and thick...so i might give it a try too...

well again nice to meet you
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/218/140
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Welcome

I am a newcomer too..7 days on the diet..5 days (maybe) at this wonderful site...I have lost 3 pounds as of today...and will agree it makes you feel wonderful...look around the site..this people are wonderful and insightful...I am sure there is something about hair loss...Good Luck to you...keep motivated...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 06:42

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

Welcome Ali,

You'll hear lots of horror stories about this WOE but don't worry, between us we've heard them all. You will feel lousy for a while with headaches and tiredness but that's quite normal when starting and it will soon pass and then you will feel wonderful and energetic - your body has to adjust.

Hope that helps,

Bez

#5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 10:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome! You are going to love this WOE and what it does for you. But the next few days could be rough... ish. Don't forget to take your supplements, esp. potassium, and keep telling yourself that it WILL GET BETTER. SO MUCH BETTER! All the best luck to you, and keep posting on and reading the site, it helps so much. Doods.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 15:21

BF:
Thank you all for your words of encouragement!!!
On my first day of this new diet i have a terrible head cold.. ahhhh......
so sticking with it today shall be the easiest day..lol...
Bravo to whomever started this site!!!!
I know that with the support of everyone here my journey on this rocky path shall be an easy one.
I also have the support of my 3 children.. They their mommy..
Also with having more energy they will enjoy longer trips to the park or longer bike rides..
If only they could bottle and sell my kids' energy... boy we could really be in the money then!!! haha

I really enjoy this site and was surfing it all night last night I have read alot of posts and learned alot of new "tricks"... I especially like the trick about craving sweets... salt.. and baking soda water. wow... I know that if i crave i will have to try that!!!
thanks again....
Ali
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default welcome

Hi, I just want to add my welcome as well!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 16:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Alicat - and welcome to low carbing.

You will NOT be disappointed - the key is to do what you are doing - post a lot, ask questions, don't be nervous.

I have been on Atkins since February 2000 and I'm in the best health I've ever been.

Yes, I suffered the hair loss thing - not everybody does and if it happens to you it's not as big a deal as you think it is. I was several months into the WOE before it started, but now my hair is great - no one ever noticed the loss except me. We lose hair every day - it's part of the normal process - you will NOT go bald on this WOE!!

You'll be totally glad that you gave low carbing a try.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 12:14

BF:
Talking

Thank you LC...
well it's the start of day 2 on my new journey of life.. so far so good i woke up with a small headache this morning....
but i think that maybe this has progressed from my sinus infection.. ahhhh the fun of living in Minnesota.. all 4 seasons in one day
went to the bookstore last night and picked up a really neat journal... and a different carb counter book and a fat counter book. on the program i also plan to watch my fat intake. I know i don't have to but i want to make sure i'm not eating too much fat. The "natural" fats i'm not so much worried about, but then again when i think about it... i won't be eating those bad fats anymore anyway....lol hahaha oh well it only cost 2.00.. hehe i've spent money on stupider things...lol
I hope that everyone has a successful day!!!!!!!

#10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 12:21

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Alikat - before you start talking "low fat"...

Turn to page 28 in DANDR.

My favourite paragraph in the whole book is located near the top ot the page and it goes like this:

"Fat satiates the appetite. Fat is the only one of the three food categoreis that can stabilize blood sugar. Fat stops carbohydrate craving. And fat, in the absence of carbohydrates, accelerates the burning of stored fat. The wise dieter can use fat to his advantage."

If you shy away from fat, you will not be as successful on this WOE as you could be. And what's more, you won't be "wise"
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 19:53

BF:
well am into my 3rd day ... and so far so good... my body seems to be adjusting quite well.. except for the headache... but i know from reading all these posts that this will pass. My mom made a positive comment that made my day, she told me that my face looks thinner.... well it's only been 3 days and i have not weighed myself.. i'm kinda scared to, i don't want to be dissapointed if it doesn't show much of a change,... i'm gonna wait until friday to check my weight. I have my mom thinking differently too about her eating habbits.. she says if she likes what she sees in me then she is gonna try this WOL as well. I lent her my book, and she's reading it tonight... ( and she'll finish tonight too)...lol I'm excited at the prospect that my mom will join me in this new crusade!!!! we have the same body build, and right now she's only 2 pant sizes bigger than me and it would be fun for both of us to "Lose" together...
well i better go and get some sleep. have a big day 4 tomorrow..

Ali