Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy I love Sushi-Need words of wisdom

Me and a friend used to go out for Sushi all the time. I haven't seen her in months and she just told me about a place that just opened up by her house. This is a good way for us to connect again and I really want to go. Can I eat the rolls without the rice. Is that possible. ALso I love tempura which is out. We'll one meal of sushi be so bad for me? I need some words of wisdom to help me decide. Come on guys....I'm counting on you to help me decide.
Thanks,
Zita
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:23

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

shashimi should be fine. that is the sushi without
the rice. also salad should be ok. not sure about
the dressing though

sandy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

This is really your decision. My only words to consider will be: which result do you REALLY want?

An hour of eating stuff you have decided is not good for you and does not get you closer to your goal? Just because you used to?

Or passing up ONE occasion to eat things that will stall or stop or reverse your plan to lose weight? And feeling good the next day and the next two days and the next week as you see the number on the scale continue to drop?

Try to see the long view, not the short one. This is a decision not a permanent deprivation.

Some people really mean to just have "one meal off plan" but somehow, that soon turns into two and three days and a week or two weeks and no "back on plan".

Christmas comes EVERY year, so does Easter, your birthday, July 1st or 4th, Thanksgiving. Do you want to weigh less enough to pass up the sugar/starch traditions of these days for one time, so that you can be at goal for the next thirty times they come around.

Low carbing is for life. But when you are at goal and your insulin resistance is well healed, treats for special occasions ARE a part of your new slim life.

You decide.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:29

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent post, Tofi. Words of wisdom for all of us.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:29

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

We're all different I supposed. Seven days into induction I had dinner at a sushi restaruant. Had ahi tuna and rolls with rice, even one roll dish that was tempura.

Two days later I lost 3 pounds.

Each has to choose. I chose to have that one special dinner and not go beyond that. I can do that without any renewed cravings or desires.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:39

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

maybe they can make it with brown rice. doesn't that have less carbs/more fiber?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:48

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I switched over to sashimi after going on Atkins and actually find now that I like it more, it's a "cleaner" feel. I like to eat it with the daikon (radish) that they serve julienned along with it. You can also have miso soup with tofu. I wasn't sure about the plum dressing on the salad, because to me, it tasted kind of sweet. But I looked it up later and it wasn't too carby, maybe 2 g per 2 T or something like that.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:53
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
maybe they can make it with brown rice. doesn't that have less carbs/more fiber?

According to the carb counter on this site, there's about 5g/100g between brown rice and white rice. According to Atkins (and I'm pretty sure fitday when I last looked it up), brown is much more nutritional than white. Last of all, Atkins book lists the GI of brown way less than white.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:54

Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I think you can make food choices at the restaurant that will support both your WOE and your relationship with your friend. Both are important to you, you can figure it out.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default thanks

I just want to say thanks for thr advice....I'm sure I'll be able to make an intelligent choice.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:24
Registered Member

BF:
Default I think I'm going to do it

Eat the sushi that is.....but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what would be a good thing to do before and the following days after. I know i'm going to up my water intake(as if i'm not already drinking a small lake as it is) and also workout the days following. But what else could I do. Should I only eat meats and proteins the days following....what do you all think?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:25

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Slim4life......

your name is your answer.....if its for life...and if it was me.... and I love sushi SO very much, and not having it so SO so often....go on and enjoy it much....them....
be SO happy and lucky !!!....to have tomorrow !!!.........
...to pay *really really really* good attention for the next days... to what and how much you're eating....THIS IS 4 LIFE...not a temporary thing...and if you want to survive for long....you can NOT do without your loves once :-)........
Many studies has been done and told us....that not many people, after 5 years from their diets lasted...on their wish's weight .... there for....I think.....
you can NOT live without your * love once * :-)))....have them once in awhile.....((( its all depend )))......on...what you'll do after........and that is.....MY only...and ONLY 2 cents here !!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:56

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

You could also ask for hand rolls without the rice. Just vegis, fish and seaweed. Skip the pickled ginger, high in cards. Soy sauce is ok.

I love Sushi too. I was cheat free for over a year until I ate Sushi. I am not saying it was the sushi that made me lose sight for a while but I will not eat white rice again. For me, simple carbs just triggers bad behavior.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 19:29
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I was in the same boat and ended up switching to sashimi. Although I still do miss my unagi, since I am pretty sure that sweet glaze is a no-no.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 19:54

Plan: SB
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5"10
BF:

I've been having sushi cravings...next time I go and get it I'll probably see if I could have the hand rolls with out the rice...that would still be yummy.