Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 13:39

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 193/174.5/148 Female 5'3"
BF:yikes
Progress: 41%
Question Hormone Replacement question please

Hi<br>I hope that I have this in the right section <p>I have a question regarding hormone replacement . My mom had a hysterectomy about 8 years ago and has been taking premerin ever since. At a recent visit to her doctor he told her that she would have to ween off them because of the risk involved with taking them longer than 5 yrs ( kind of late to tell her now in my opinion). She has always struggeled with her weight 200+ at only 5' Tall. I have been trying to get her to go low carb since I started in July but it's a hard sell with her, even seeing my results. She has low fat so ingrained.<p> ok, so here is my question at last. <br> She really is not liking the effects of coming off the pills, hot flashes, mood swings etc. Has anyone had an improvement in these kind of symptoms after starting low carb?? This just might be the thing that finally gets her to try. <p> Thanks for the help, hoping to finally convince her that this WOE will make her feel so much better.<br>Eden
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 18:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Eden,

Sorry to tell you that low carbing doesn't help with symptoms of menopause.

I have been taking Premarin for about 3½ years and plan to take them for as long as I can. I recently went off it for a while (long, boring story!) and my symptoms were so bad that I couldn't get back on it fast enough! I plan to take it long term because of my big risk of osteoporosis, due to asthma drugs.

I would strongly suggest she see another doctor who will reassure her that taking the HRT until her symptoms recede is unlikely to do her much harm. The recent hoohaa about HRT involved a VERY tiny increase in risks which was blown out of proportion by the media (at least it was here). From all the information I have seen (I'm an RN), they are suggesting that women not continue with HRT after their symptoms have abated.

As for the low carbing, have you shown her your book(s)?
I was first convinced by reading the Atkins website www.atkinscenter.com
You could also get some more books out of the library for her. I would start with The Schwarzbein Principle, Sugar Busters! Protein Power and maybe Atkins.

Good luck in your efforts to help her.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 18:33
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Eden

I agree with Rosebud seeing another doctor might be in order to get a second opinion on HRT.

Has your mom ever considered taking natural alternatives to help with some of her symptoms? I believe the hormone in the study was Prempro which is estrogen and progestin for postmenopausal women.

I personally do not want to be on HRT, I do have heart disease and osteoporosis in my family but refuse to be on prescriptions.

A lot of ladies don't give the supplements enough time to work, sometimes it can take up to two months before the hot flashes and mood swings subside.

------ A word of caution ----------

Quote from article date Sept. 1, 2002 from Healthscout.com

"While the slight risks found with Prempro, including heart attack, stroke and breast cancer, were found to outweigh its benefits, experts <b>caution</b> that some of the alternatives -- especially nutritional supplements -- have been studied even less than Prempro, and could pose risks of their own".

Educating oneself on natural alternatives is a must.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 12:58

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Post Hysterectomy....

Post Hysterectomy women do not need to take progestin. It's prescribed for women with a uterus to prevent uterine cancer. If your mom has no uterus, she should only be taking estrogen.

I agree, either talk to her doc or see another! First, she can try cutting her dose....I took mine every other day for about 2 months, then talked to my doc and she cut my dose in half. Anyone on HRT should be taking the minimum dose...the minimum to prevent symptoms!

There are a lot of different preparations out there....and yes, the study was for women who took the combination product!

A lot of people swear by the natural remedies also....maybe trying them will work for her!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 08:45

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 193/174.5/148 Female 5'3"
BF:yikes
Progress: 41%

Hi <p>I just wanted to say thank you Ladies for your caring responses. I'm sorry it's been so long since I've looked in but I'm having computer problems <p>I guess I will have to do some research in this area, I have to admit I know very little about HRT. My mom is now taking her pills every second day...then every third etc. until she weens off completely. We live in a small community and I would bet my life that she won't see another doctor...and to be honest I think I would rather see her off the pills and have a grumpy mom than put her health at risk by continuing to take them long term ...ya know?<p> I will definately take your advise and look into some of the natural suppliments and tell her to ask her doctor about other options. Again thank you,it is very much appreciated<P>Eden
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 13:18

Plan: Dr Charles Clarke
Stats: 178/161/126
BF:
Progress: 33%

Eden,

I'm 62 and about 45lbs over weight. I have been taking high doses of Premarin for 6 years if I try to cut down the menopausal symptoms are dreadful.
You may prefer a grumpy mum but does she want to be that way. So much as you are concerned for her try encouraging her to loose weight first. I think that poses the greatest risk not only from heart disease, stroke but joint and spinal problems.

The increased risk from heart disease is very small there was a lot of uninformed hype in the press my GP spent a long time explaining it. By the way I was 167 when I started and I've managed to loose 17Lbs so far.

Give her some positive encouragement and may you both feel fitter and slimmer then perhaps tackle the HRT question.

Dahlia