Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Lack of hunger but not enough carbs

Guys I am not hungry at all after breakfast which is usually 3 eggs fried in olive oil and 3 slices of bacon. I have to force myself to eat lunch which is usually salmon or some other meat fried in olive oil and a salad or broccoli. I drink more than 64 oz a day. I do aerobics 5 days a week, and I weight train mon, wed, and fri. With all of that you'd think I'd be hungry but I still have to force lunch and dinner in. So my question is if I am not hungry for my last meal, and I know that I haven't had my intake of carbs for the day, should I force it in or just skip that and go to sleep?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 18:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

someone with more experience than i could probably phrase it a little better; but i'll try to break it down barney-style for you as this is a common problem of mine.

best i can put it is, we are eating a lot of protein - that fills you up. and being in ketosis can put a damper on the appetite as well. however, you have to eat! if your body is not getting what it needs (even if it's not telling you by the way of hunger) it will go into starvation mode and hoard what it does have (means you won't loose, and you are not going to be real healthy, either).

working out should increase your appetite but you are feeling the opposite effect. are you still in induction?

instead of several bigger meals, try eating twice as many smaller meals (grazing). try to make what you do eat count. experiment around and find some things that are much more pleasurable to eat (making it easier).

i'm sure some folks around here will have some good ideas as to what to try - i snack alot. boiled eggs with tabasco, celery with pimento cheese spread... that kind of thing.

long story short - yes you do have to eat your meals! if you are not on fitday (www.fitday.com), get there, register and do it faithfully. there are a lot of people here that can give you a better idea of what's going on and how to counteract it by looking at what you are eating.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:07

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Actually it's not the protein that fills you up - it's the fat.

I agree with SuzanneM's suggestions - try several smaller meals during the day. Also, instead of having meat again as your main course for lunch, why not try a good salad made with dark greens. I like to choose several veggies from the second induction list (even though I'm in OWL) and use small amounts of them to make my salads interesting. I also use chopped egg, crumpled bacon and cheese on my salads.

Sometimes all of the exercise will also slow your appetite down but that depends on the person.

You DO need to eat. Letting your caloric intake get too low will put you into "hibernation" or "starvation" mode and you REALLY don't want that.

shortstuff
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 21:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

yes, sometimes exercise as a appetite suppressing result- i don't get hungry after my workouts..not sure why. but my suggestion is that you should definitely eat because it will keep your metabolism going. you might wanna take your proteins/fat down a bit and add in more veggies instead. this will help you gain more appetite =)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 00:28
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

[QUOTE=satihap]yes, sometimes exercise as a appetite suppressing result- i don't get hungry after my workouts..not sure why. QUOTE]

Exercise causes your body to produce excess amounts of adrenaline, which is a natural appetite suppressant.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 09:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

thanks for the insight! i guess exercise has all kinds of benefits =) happy halloween ya'll!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:50

Stats: 271.5/233.5/210 Male 69 Inches
BF:35 - I am a Burger
Progress: 62%

I have this problem.

I find myself forcing myself to eat each night. I am not hungry and have not even come close to hitting that carb limit of 20.

Then I eat, feel like a bloated goat and go to bed guilty.

Of course I wake up and have lost a pound or two and wonder what the hell is going on here!!!!!!!

Simple question here.... if I am not at that magical 20 carbs, can I just pick up the book, figure out what would get me there and eat just that? Say I am 8 carbs low, check the book, or the carbcounter and start stuffing my piehole with whatever gets me there fastest?

Newbies....gotta love 'em...

Max