Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 14:09
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 240/216/&;175
BF:
Progress:
Default I work ~ Waffle house { HELP}

I started working at W-H 1month and 3 weeks ago! Yes I was on my diet then but it actualy boosted my loosing ability .Now I have been at a stand still in my progress and am having Much trouble!
I work on Wed.,Thur.,Fri.,and Sat. nights {9:00pm-7:00am}and when I went back this week we had started selling STRAWBERRY & BLUEBERRY waffles With whipped cream toppings. I am not affraid to tell YALL I feel like sucking down the entire lot in one swoop!!! And to make things even harder I still am unable to drink any water. I still ONLY eat Meat eggs and cheese! I am affraid if I start to eat any carbs I won't be able to stop,or even stay in my limit , I am not very strong when it comes to things like that.What do I do?My Keytones stay normaly between 80-160.
Could it be that I am just retaining all that water ? I cannot tell that I am loosing inches! If I am burning that many keytones why
can I not tell any difference? If I don't loose something soon I am affraid I will Have to Eat A STRAWBERRY WAFFLE. I have already seriously considered smoking a Marlboro 100 {in the Box}after 2 years and 3 weeks of being smoke Free. The only thing that changes my mind about that is after smoking for 20 years I decided that it STINKS ! Please help! I truly am trying hard to be Good. And the other opptions are only going to make me more depressed!
Thanks ahead of time,
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 14:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
I still ONLY eat Meat eggs and cheese!

Are you eating any veggies? You need the fiber and nutrients from veggies. Veggies have "good" carbs, not the "bad" carbs that are found in sugar, flour, and starch.

Quote:
I still am unable to drink any water.

What does this mean? Are you unable to drink any water at work? Or at all?

Be strong, do not eat a strawberry waffle. You could be due for a whoosh, and then you could derail it by eating the waffle. I was stalled for 5 1/2 months. Towards the end of the stall, I was at my wit's end. I tried everything, cutting out franken-foods, drinking lots of water, upping my fat % to over 70%, and going back to Induction-level carbs. I contemplated upping my carbs over my CCL, and lastly, I contemplated even cheating. My daughter's fourth birthday was about two weeks ago, and I kept telling myself, if the scale didn't move, I was going to cheat at her party with chocolate cake and pizza. Why not? Nothing else was working. I was very frustrated. Luckily, the morning of her party, I dropped 2.5 lbs. That quelled any desires to cheat. The next morning I dropped EVEN another pound. Please be patient and strong. The weightloss will come. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default wafflehouse

Hey hang in there.I know just how you feel.And dont smoke.After 30 years,I could hardly make the stairs some days.Are you a waitrees?That is a great leg shaper and think about how wonderful your arms will look.A stinky smoke wont change a thing.Have a piece of bacon or some sausage.Hang in there.Remember you are beautiful
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 14:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Paradise,
No, I do not eat any carbs.Last night I finally ate aprox 1 cup of lettuce and 1 pk of italian dressing at work with a very large chopped steak, and that was the first of any carbs other than my Equal in probably a month! I eat Meat, Eggs, Cheese,Cracklins
{pork skins}and that is it .
I am unable to drink water at all! I have trully tried but with NO success. In the thread {Struggling to drink water} I promised to try and I did try but, I just could not do it ! The taste I just cannot handle. So I drink only TEA, and Kool-aid with Equal or caf. free
Diet Coke.
I am not up with all the lingo yet,so I can only assume that "Whoosh" Means: to loose a fair amount all at 0nce?
I am VERY VERY happy for you, I know without a doubt that I would not be able to hold on for 5.5 months if I could not see any progress. Great Job!! Good Luck to you too!!

Allatonce,
Yes, I am a waitress and yes after a 10 hour shift I can surely
feel it in my legs,arms, BACK,feet you name it ! Maybe I will turn into a Lean Mean Toned Machine! LOL! anyway, I do eat bacon all night .When I get to work I eat and before I leave I eat again.
I do eat good to . Everyone picks at me because they don't understand.A guy told me just yesterday that {I am going to die from clogged arterys BUT, I will be HOTT when I go.} I keep trying to explain everything to people but it just doesn't seem to get through to some.
A very normal meal is :2-sirloins and 3 eggs soft scrambled with cheese, or 3-4 orders of bacon with the cheese eggs. That is how my job helped me at first, I only eat at work except cheese cubes and cracklins if I get up in time around the house .On my days off I normaly eat chicken wangs by the pounds.
The cig is just a thought, However, I wont want to eat as much if I could have 1 every now and again. The only thing is that smoking is like water I don't know if I can get past the taste and smell anymore.
Thanks Ya'll
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:08

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

NO veggies? That's not good for you! It may also be the reason you aren't losing.

Have you read Dr. Atkins' book? By the way, it is AT kins, not Adkins. He said that having less than 20 carbs per day does not help you lose faster - and may even hinder your efforts. Not to mention the constipation problem.

You should be having 2-3 cups of salad vegetables every day or 2 cups salad veggies PLUS 1 cup other veggies. Here's a link to the acceptable Induction foods on the Atkins website:

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

Hope this helps!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well, I won't bother touch the water issue, But the Veggie's and only eating meat eggs and cheese???? Sorry to break the news to you girl............you ain't doing Atkins , no wonder your not losing. Read the book again, eat the required carbs. You'll be alot healthier. Cause beleive me, eating what you are, at those quanitities, and no veggies/ fruit, you will be heading for trouble.

Sorry if I sound to harsh, but I really think it had to be said for "your" own good.

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:26

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Don't let is discourage you! I know you can do it.

I am one who doesn't like veggies either. But, there a few on the list I do like. Just go with what you like.

I also used to hate water. Just try to get it ice cold and drink a little at a time.

I know you can do it. We are all here for you. Keep your chin up
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 19:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/192.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:not a clue
Progress: 33%

Donna,
I have trouble getting water in too so I totally understand
where you are coming from. Just a few tips for you that
have helped me in the water area. Try adding a slice of lemon,
it really improves the taste. Second, the minute I head out the
door I have a water bottle in hand, I drink it as I drive.
With your mind on driving and where you're going before
you know it you have finished the bottle!!
Hope this helps. Hang in there and keep in touch.
You can do this!!!

Ciao

Suzie
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 01:03

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Nonnamamma,
I won't even go there with the water, because you've heard it all on the other threads.

And about veggies, like Mom used to say, "Eat your veggies"! What a great time of year to try good, fresh, local produce!

Don't give up. Keep reading Dr. Atkin's books just to make sure you stay on track. I have to do that myself.
Best wishes to you. Your health is important enough to keep trying!
Hugs, ~Annie-Pie~
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 05:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Jeanyyy,
I am sorry about the AD instead of AT thing I did not even realise {Family name thing}
Yes I did read his book but I figured as long as I was REGULAR that the less carbs the better,and I had lost the 19.5 lbs rapidly.

I love veggies maybe a little too much I will certinly start eating salads ect.
I have lost aprox 4 lbs since I weighed 2 days ago!!!
I will go to the Dr. office and weigh to be sure how much.
Can yall tell me the differance in carbs and carbs from fiber veggies?
The fiber carbs were not in the book that I read so I don't know anything about them.
I Love fried cabbage and am not sure how to know how much I can have because there is fiber in it.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Fiber carbs are not used by the body and are passed directly through. This is why they have no effect on blood sugar, and also help to keep you regular. After a while of eating so many eggs and meat, the salads start to taste like treats, even for those who don't like veggies like me

Make sure what ever dressing you use has less then 2g of carbs. I like ranch, Atkins likes Blue cheese, and I know some on here make thier own thousand island that is low carb.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

So do I not count the carbs in fiber veggies?
example:Total Carbs 5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
So I count only 3g per 1 cup serving?

I don't have any trouble with salad dressings I make my own
Italian by adding 1 Cup Red Wine Vinagar
1 Cup Cannola Oil
and 1-2 t. of Cavenders Seasoning {garlic, onion,salt,pepper,ect} and this all adds up to NO CARBS.
LadyBelle,
Do you like cabbage at all? It is great if you fry it in fresh bacon drippings!
1 cabbage and aprox1/4 to 1/2 cup bacon greese
salt and stir fry until well done med to dk brown. GREAT
"Try IT YOU'LL LIKE IT!"
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 07:03

BF:

Yes, Donna, you got it! The carbs from fiber are subtracted from the total carb count to give you the net carbs or ECC (effective carb count). So start eating your veggies. Also, if you push your daily net carb count closer to 20g with veggies, you might see some weightloss (believe it or not, veggies do help with weightloss). I remember reading somewhere in DANDR that Dr. A. opted for 20g vs. 0g. because people lost the same amount of weight at 20g vs. 0g and he thought 20g a day would provide greater enjoyment and it would be more sustainable. Not to contradict myself there, I'm telling you to push your carbs closer to 20g and Dr. A. thought weightloss was the same at 20g vs. 0g. But, I just think your body has "grown accustomed" to the meat, cheese, and eggs coming in. I also think veggies would help shake things up in a very legal way.

As for water, you've read all the different threads touting its importance, so I won't harp on water (but it could help you lose weight). Good luck on your LC journey!!!

EDIT: The cabbage sounds great, but my four year-old would walk in the kitchen plugging her nose, complaining about the smell. LOL. She does that when I cook cauliflower.

Last edited by paradise : Mon, Jun-02-03 at 07:05.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 07:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think I will treat myself to a salad today! It sounds really good for a change.
If lettuce has 2g a cup of carbs why dare you only allowed 3 cups a day ?
Maybe thats were I have screwed up before.
I ate aprox 10g on a salad and 10g on other veggies or whipped cream.
Thats why I gave it all up I was going NOwherereally fast.
When you say "Eat at least 20g a day" but 2cups salad
only had 8-10g and 1cup veggie {cabbage }only has 3g,
Where does the 3cup salad or 2cup salad,1cup veggies fit in?
I really am not stupid even though it looks like it ,
there are just so many contridictions I just don't know what to think!
Three years ago when I lost the 80+ lbs None of this was a problem.
I lost all my weight in 3 1/2 months and ate at least 35g a day.
Oh well I guess more does change than our age.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 08:06

BF:

I suppose there are limits to salad or veggies because you have to consider what goes on them. Even if the dressing has no carbs, if you slice an egg on it, if you slice leftover meat on it, put shredded cheese, etc. The carbs add up. But if it looks like salad or veggies are going to push you slightly over 20g net carbs for the day, I think Dr. A. would have much preferred that this was done (not everyday in Induction) but he wanted the carbs to come from salad and veggies first, then all the other foods. Also, some people REALLY do not care to eat salad or veggies, so setting a "requirement" gives them something to reach for. I'm glad you're having a salad today! I love salad, I also love the things I put on it! Good luck on your LC journey!!!