Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 11:18

Plan: tsp
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default ANy of you hypothyroid?

***have any of you had good results with Atkins, being hypothyroid???? What about hairloss? Have any of you had it stop when going on Atkins? Mine has been REALLY bad the past two months...just waiting for it to stop.

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 13:28

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

I am hypothyroid and when i started the diet i lost 10 lbs really quickly which was pretty surprising considering how difficult it can be to lose weight with hypothyroidism. My hair loss pretty much stopped when i started the diet after brushing out handfuls in the past. HOwever, I was just diagnosed with PCOS which can cause hair loss and make it even more difficult to lose weight so i've just began treatment for that so hopefully this is the end of my troubles. The weight will come off and the hair will stay in, lol. Good luck

Danyele
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205/180
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile

Hi,

There's some very interesting info for hypos on this site. Go to "forum jump". Then scroll down through the menu & you'll see a "Thyroid" forum.

I'm hypothyroid also. I've been on Atkins almost 4 weeks. The first 2 weeks I lost nothing, nothing, nothing. I was beyond frustrated. (I'm taking Synthroid which has not been really very helpful. ) Some hypos (BillW in particular) talked about having success by adding coconut oil (about 2 tb a day) to their diet.

I "googled" around the internet to find out more about coconut oil. It's touted as a metabolism lifter and a boon to hypos in their weight loss quest. I got some (a jar was about 5$). Added it to my favorite LC recipe, Mock Danish (you'll easily find the recipe on this site).Believe it or not my Basal body temp was over 98degrees withing an hour(usually 96.8-97.2). Also I've lost 4 pounds since I first started using it 6 days ago.

At any rate, check out the thyroid forum and you'll find how many other of us are faring on this diet. I hope you can find a solution to your hair loss. Mine has always been really thick so I haven't noticed if I've been losing any.

Good luck and hang in there!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 17:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Talking

Tallgal,
According to your stats, that's really some weight loss!...Please, share your secret! lol....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 18:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am hypothyroid and take both Synthroid and Cytomel. The cytomel helped a lot - although I had to persuade my doctor to prescribe it. There is an excellent thyroid site at www.about.com that has the entire New England Journal of Medicine article on the benefits of adding cytomel.
Any weight loss diet will result in a drop in thyroid function - if you are noticing increased hair loss and other symptoms, I would suggest you get your blood levels checked - you might need a medication revision.
The virgin coconut oil thing sounds intriguing. The sites I checked advised that the coconut oil be unrefined. This pure, unrefined oil seems a bit pricey, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 186/147/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Atriana...

What is your dosage of synthroid and cytomel? I am curious. I have just added cytomel a few weeks ago.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I came to Atkins as an undiagnosed hypothyroid. For about 6 months before that I had been eating 1400cal and up to 20g fat and gained 18 pounds, while doing gym workouts.

The first month of Atkins I lost 10 pounds, then nothing for 5 months. I thought I was only eating 15 carbs a day, but was eating a lot of those darn bars with the hidden carbs in them.

After I started on armour, I increased my carbs to 100 because I couldn't tell if all the funny feelings I had were ketosis or the medication. After 6 weeks I started losing a every week on a 100 carbs a day, about 1500 calories. Last week I was ready to start again, went down to 30 carbs per day and lost 4 pounds.

So yes, Atkins definetly is working for my in my own slow way.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 05:43

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Ugh. I won't even get on my hypo problems.. lol

I just wanted to say as for your hairloss.. I had that problem for like 5 months and it eventually stopped. I started taking a multi vitamian and that seemed to help a little.

Your medication might just need adjusting.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 11:35

Plan: tsp
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Thyroid issues

The thing about it is.....Im not taking thyroid meds. My doc mysteriously decided I didnt need em'!! I was diagnosed in March, TSH was 4.24, went on 30 mg of Armour. A month later, she let me go on phentermine....3 weeks into that, my hair started falling out, and I felt hyper. Went back to dr. had blood drawn (TSH .558), she told me to stop meds...come back in a month and she would retest blood. I did....and my TSH was 2.99....thats when she said..."you dont need it". So I found the shwarbein principle and read it, she states that alot of the same symptoms for hypo, are the same for malnutrition. THis lady subspecializes in thyroid issues. So thats why Im trying this. Im halfway scared about being off meds (now since May 17th). I dont know...guess we will just see how I continue to feel.

Stephaine