Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default question for the ladies

Hi I posted a ? on general health today but no response. It dealt with PMS and breast pain(in both breasts) that I am currently experiencing, expecting TOM sometime next week. I've done some searching around this site and I've drawn this conclusion. (Please correct me if I am wrong ). Low Carbing causes a increase in the amount of estrogen in to ones system possibly causing PMS symptoms to be even more promanant , (or less if your lucky) until ones body learns to adjust to this new level of estrogen. Then things should return to normal. I'd like to add that besides the PMS. I am healthy had a slew of tests to prove it last summer, Doc even said so! Too heavy but healthy So what's all this excessive PMSing about? and will it settle down? It's going to have too because I can't be a loon 3 weeks out of 4 every month! My kids and hubby wont have it nor will I! Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Ellen!

What happens is that Estrogen is often stored in fat and when the fat is released, so is the extra Estrogen. That can cause a whole array of symptoms from extra PMS symptoms to earlier or more frequent periods. Yes, it does settle down as weight loss slows and your body adjusts. Many women actually report that their PMS symptoms are much less severe while following low carb.
From my own experience, I always experience breast tenderness as soon as I ovulate and it doesn't go away until my period begins. Funny enough, that was how I knew I was pregnant (after the first time)...the tenderness was always worse when I was pregnant.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:37

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

My breasts do get sensitive before my TOM, but I haven't noticed the low carb making it any worse. I've heard evening primrose oil can help with the symptoms of PMS, including but not limited to breast tenderness. My friend uses the oil, and swears by it. Vitamin B-6 my also help, but take no more than 200mg daily and divide the doses into 50mg at a time- it helps produce progesterone which balances out the excess estrogen. These are 2 natural treatments you could try to help you with your battle against PMS. It's worth a try anyhow. Hope it helps. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 00:07

Stats: 177.5/148/135 Female 5'4"
BF:30.8%/25.2/20%
Progress: 69%
I have no idea why it happens but I experience the same thing from time to time. I had tenderness before I started Atkins and sometimes I still do. I've found being on the pill lessens the effects of PMS for me. I use Pamprin when things get out of control.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 01:26
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Didn't know that... hmmm... learn something new every day around here!

#6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I guess with the rather quick loss of weight (most in first 2 weeks) this happening was definately a possibility. Just hopes it get better. Thanks again! Ellen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm taking evening primrose oil and have seen a moderate amount of improvement, but not dramatic. It might be worth trying.