Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/189/145 Female 70.5
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default help with anemia

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if any one had any problems with anemia doing this diet? I really have not been eating alot of red meat lately and I have been feeling weak and dizzy lately. I went to the doc yesterday and he said I am anemic. This is the second time I've done this diet , the first time I felt great but I was also eating alot better than I am now. I'm just not hungry! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 05:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi.

sorry you are not feeling 100%

I do not think you should really be looking for core suggestions. You went to the doctor: fine. Did you tell him you were intending to go Low Carb?

I think it is imperative you do that.

You are talking about a serious condition...I don't know but please be careful.

You see what is different, what you are doing differently from the first time...then adjust so you do the same as before.

You cannot just starve yourself, can you?...

Best of luck and I do hope some people with the same condition give you their (personal=individual) experiences.

Do you have a journal? (i check as soon as i save this)

Ciao
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 10:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't want to sound like I'm scare-mongering BUT anemia can be a pretty serious condition. It occurs when the body produces too few red blood cells, loses too many of them, or if red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced.

There are close to 100 different types of anemia with many causes, including:

Serious disease
Vitamin or iron deficiencies
Blood loss
Genetic or acquired defects or disease
Side effects of medication

You could be suffering from anemia associated with a number of serious diseases. Those at risk include people with chronic kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer; chronic inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease; and persistent infections such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

You should really be consulting with your doctor. Anemia can be treated with diet and supplements but there are many different types and the cause has to be determined.

And eat!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 11:41

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Unhappy I'm Anemic also

This doesn't answer your question at all, but this is a great site for info on Anemia: http://www.healthandage.com/html/re...s/Anemiacc.html
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

hi!
my doc said i was a little anemic and he suggested a multi vitamin and an extra iron vitamin. maybe you should ask your doc what to do. also ask him about the diet and let us know what he says.
i get really tired and weak sometimes but most days i feel great. i eat mostly red meat like hamburger meat. i have lost about 12/14 lbs. it goes up and down. good luck and let us know what happens. i hope this might help you. you are not alone. you can visit my journal to see what i eat. i may not be getting enough calories. sometimes i feel like im stalling but atleast im not gaining.