Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:20

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%
Question Discrepancies between digi and cheapie scale!

Hiya... I know this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer to my particular question regarding a digital scale vs a cheapie scale. So, here we go:

I started this WOL with a very cheap (and I do mean about $6 from K-Mart!!!) scale. It seemed fairly consistent, although I had to re-zero it a lot. I always put it in the exact same spot (along my kitchen floor tiles) to weigh, and only sometimes would it give me 1-2 lb variations. Whenever it did that, I just estimated myself a half-pound between those weights.

Yesterday morning the cheap scale weighed me in at 185.5. My new scale weighed me in at 181.6 this morning!!!! So of COURSE I hopped on the cheap scale to see if I had REALLY just lost that weight (though I am too smart to believe that! ), and it'd dropped to 184.5. So we're talking about a 3lb difference!

I re-weighed myself on both scales probably four times each. They both seem fairly "accurate" (as far as scales go), but there is still that 3lb difference.

So what I want to know is... WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?!

I've decided that since I started out with the cheap scale, I'll use that for my Sunday weigh-ins (how I guage my progress from the beginning). But I'll be using the digital scale for morning weigh-ins to make my weekly averages (since it measures to the .1 or something like that. )

Anyone else run into this?

But I'm most confused about whether I should redo my start weight to the 3 pounds... or what? Or change my goal weight? I originally based my goal weight on the last time I felt confidently slim. I knew I was somewhere around 170-175 (with no love handles on my back, most importantly!) and that weight came off of a bathroom scale and kind of a cheapie. So should I base my weight on the cheap one I already have?

Also I read on the bottom of the scale to have damp feet to do the body fat percentage function. I never tried it with damp feet and get 31% every time. My husband thinks I am a kook for believing a little box can measure my bodyfat, but I actually did a few different kinds of body fat calculators online and they came out to 31% also!

= Meagan

Last edited by tekunoroji : Sun, May-11-03 at 16:24.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:38
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I would guess that three pounds difference between scales really isn't that much to some people. But not us As long as they both give concistance numbers, no matter what there are I think using either is good. Personally I would chose the one that said I was lighter!

We replaced our digital scale not long ago because there was a 5.5 pound difference between it and the doctors, and gym scales. AND not in a good way. To be honest I rest my starting weight. But it sure felt good knowing I weighted 5 and a half pounds lighter than I thought!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/189/150
BF:
Progress: 41%
Talking

Last week we bought a digital scale. Brought it home and it was four pounds lighter than the cheapie scale.

It seems to weigh consistently since our purchase, so I'm just subtracting the four pounds from my starting weight and will continue to use the new scale.

I figure if I buy a new digital scale every couple of weeks, I can get to goal weight in no time at all!!!!!!!! (just kidding!)

Sue
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 01:19

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

My dr's office has the usual scale moving a big block and a smaller one until the scales balance (don't know what it's called--traditional, mechanical scale) and it tells me I'm about 9 lbs more than the scale I use at work (one with the dial that goes around). I'm going with the one at work --not only because it says I'm less but because it's available to me. How often do I go to my Dr's office, anyway?

IMO, you just have to pick one and stick with that one. If you pick the digital, change your stats on the forum and use that scale from now on.

Good luck and happy weighing
N.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 00:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The balance beam scales at your doctors are probably more accurate as they are MUCH more expensive and do not rely on springs (which can stretch) to indicate weight. Cheap scale = not very accurate. Many scales are actually stamped "not legal for trade" because they are so inaccurate.

Over and over on this board, it is recommended that people not get hung up on the numbers on those nasty metal monsters because they aren't accurate. If I step on my scale 6 times in a row, I'm liable to get 5 different readings. that can drive one nuts.

Instead, rely on a measuring tape and written records of every body part you can reach. The more places you measure, the more losses you'll see. Or designate a piece of tight clothing as your own official "Pant-o-Meter". Try it on every week and see how it gets looser. You CAN believe the tape and the Pant-o-meter.

#6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 02:15

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with you on the weighing, tofi. I only weigh myself every couple of weeks, but I measure about once a week and see how my clothes are fitting.

N.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

If you want to make yourself feel better, go with the scale that shows you weigh the least. However, I would not trust a scale that I have to constantly rezero.
On a body fat type scale, if your feet are damp, you will usually get a better (read lower) reading because there is less electrical resistance.
If you really want to play scale games, be sure to weigh yourself on the scale that reads the least. Do it in the morning before you eat anything. Check your body fat late in the day, when you are the most hydrated, and make sure your feet are damp.

Actually, you should measure your body, and go by inches lost. This is what people notice when they look at you.