Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 06:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Unhappy Why arent things moving faster???

Another complaint here. I have started exercising 5 days a week for the last 2 weeks in hopes that the pounds will start to "melt" away a little faster. This is not happening. I would think that at my weight and height (193 and 5'2" respectively) I would be losing faster. I expect things to slow down when I get closer to my goal but this is ridiculous. I will be down a pound then back up a pound. I am keeping carbs to below 20 and cals around 1500. I am not planning on giving up or anything, I just want this to start moving along. I guess I am just venting really. Anyone else in this boat want to give me a success story?? Donnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 06:52
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

Since you added exercise, you may be gaining muscle at the same time you lose fat. The best way to determine this is by your measurements. Have you taken your measurements lately? How are you clothes fitting?

Another thing is that you may not be taking in enough calories for the amount of exercise you are doing. Here is a site to help you determine your BMR (basal metabolic rate): http://www.countcarbs.com/tools/basal_metabolism.htm. You should be eating a minimum of calories equivalent to your BMR so you don't go into starvation mode.

A third thing is that you are not getting enough carbs. Get your full 20. It will NOT help you lose to get fewer. In fact, many people find that they lose better at the full 20 or even a bit higher.

I hope these hints help! But remember to be patient - this WOE has stalls and periods of very slow loss. It's frustrating, but you will eventually get where you want to be in a healthy way.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 08:45

Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

Have you been taking measurements? I've definitely always been an exerciser and haven't lost tons of weight, but have noticed inches coming off more frequently than pounds. If you haven't done it already, I'd suggest breaking out the tape measure.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 09:34

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
But remember to be patient - this WOE has stalls and periods of very slow loss. It's frustrating, but you will eventually get where you want to be in a healthy way.

I think this is the best and most honest advice. I wish the Atkins establishment would admit it, instead of acting like the dieter must be doing something wrong if the weight loss isn't faster. I have tried lots of different methods of modifying what I eat and how I exercise, and my weight loss stays slow, between 2 and 4 pounds a month.

On the other hand, the scale can be confusing. I suggested thinking in terms of a monthly pattern for scale loss, rather than weekly, especially for women.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 09:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

im not sure why, but alot of times people gain weight when they first start exercising. Give it time, and things should start moving along.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 09:52

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Here is the best BMR calculator I could find. You want to stay 10-15% below your final number after you multiply by which catagory applies to you.After you look at the sight you will understand what I am saying a little better.

Here is a BMR calculator.
http://www.ecybex.com/education/cal...s/bmr_calc.html
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/258/200 Male 76
BF:27%/25%/18%
Progress: 25%

Are you drinking lots of water? I find that when I drink lots of water I loose more weight. Get some ketosis strips to make sure you are in ketosis.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 10:32
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I came to a complete halt in weight loss when I introduced excercise for almost 4 weeks (actually gained 3)and then reinvented my diet a bit. Went back to a stricter induction type menu...cut out some of the fats that I had increased and stuck with mostly arugala, spinach, and a bit of celery and regular salad for veggies. My scales not hurrying down but it's moving again.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 10:46

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I am in one of these stalls, I am just hanging tight! I know that I am losing inches...I can tell in my clothing. I just am waiting for my body to catch up! It takes time! Just keep up with the excercise it will come!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 11:10

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks everyone. I am thinking maybe I am not getting enough calories. I checked the BMR thing and I should be getting 1600 a day. Sometimes I am at that . As far as more carbs, I dont know what else to add. I am trying to stay strictly with induction and I am just not hungry for more food. I am drinking about 10-12 glasses of water a day. I think I will up my calories some and see if that helps. I know it will eventually start moving! Donnie
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 11:52
DRAGON SLAYER

Plan: yep- its a plan
Stats: 245/000/160 Female 62
BF:sz24/ sz16/ sz8
Progress: 288%

Its so nice to know that there is somebody out there that is EXACTLY where I am!! I am 61 inches tall and still weight 220.... and I am 44 years old... I feel like I should be losing alot faster than I am... ive lost 13 lbs in 9 weeks and can't seem to get below 220--- i've started to walk longer also.... I know i started to keep a journal and that helps to at least put my thoughts down more than anything.. but hopefully people will view it and tell me if I'm doing somethig wrong.... thanks for this post, it has helped me to know IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

cathy