Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Carbs and Fitday

Hey all! Just have a quick fit day question....
I was putting some custom food in, and for instance, I have this bag of frozen cauliflower....It has 3 carbs per cup, and 2 grams fiber....However, Fitday doesnt subtract the fiber to get net carbs, but I am supossed to right? Does this mean when I enter a food into fitday, I should enter the net carbs, under carbs, or the actual reading? I have been entering the actual number for all my foods

Well, maybe someone knows!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:52
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Toe,

Don't worry about deducting fiber. If you look up at the top of your main Fitday foods page, you'll see a summary there of the calories, protein, carbs, etc that you've eaten. It lists fiber there so you can just deduct it off your carb total to get your net carb count for the day.

Does that help? You're doing well, I see. Six pounds down!

Kaillean.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:53

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Enter in the actual number of carbs and the actual fiber as well. When you look at your daily totals, you can subtract the fiber from the carbs in your head.

Tricia
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fitday actually does subtract your fiber; only it does so in the calorie column, not the carb count column.

That is to say, if your carbs were 25 and your fiber was 5 the calorie count would be for 20g of carbs x 4 calories = 80 calories, and not for 25g x 4 calories per gram = 100 calories.

It's a little confusing at first
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:55

Oh I see! I'll check that...so it IS only the net carbs that count right?

Hmm, well yeah about 6lbs I guess........stupid me didnt write down what I weighed when I started, but I remember it being around 247ish, saturday i was down to 241-240, but today......243! Hehe I know, weigh once a week!!!!!! But Im doing good =) IN ketosis and everything =)

thanks for answering my question **hugs**

Oh, ya and if ya feel like taking a look at my fit day, I would love suggestions and or criticism!

Last edited by toeie : Mon, Mar-31-03 at 18:57.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 19:11
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Toe,

Just had a quick look. Your carb counts and calories look good.

You're still on Induction right? If so, you might want to watch the sweeteners and Atkins bars, etc. Some people find them stalling. Also the two week Induction is meant to help you break some of your old eating habits and get the cravings out of your system. So I'd say you might want to add in more "real" foods and save the convenience foods for when you're done Induction. Also watch your intake of salty meats - they can make you retain water.

Some of your days seem repetitive and I would worry you might get bored with the plan if you don't add in some more variety.

That said, each person has to find a way to do this WOE that fits with their lifestyle. If you feel good and this is working for you, who am I to judge?

I guess I say that because one of the best, and unexpected, advantages of this plan for me has been my renewed interest in food. For a long time, food has been the enemy. But now I find I'm actually enjoying cooking again and trying new veggies, etc.

However, I realize I'm lucky enough to work from home and that makes food prep a lot easier than someone who is running around town to work or school.

But you can eat more delux meals and still save time. If you can set aside a couple hours one night or on a weekend to prepare some food for the week ahead, it really helps.

I stopped buying bagged salads (except for the pre-washed baby spinach which is TOO convenient to pass up) in order to save money. So I buy a big head of lettuce (romaine has lowest carbs, I use leaf lettuce too) wash and chop it and store it in a big Ziploc with a paper towel to keep it from getting soggy. That way you can just grab a few handfuls when you want to make a salad. I also keep another Ziploc with bits of celery, cucumber, radish, gr onion, red pepper, etc to add some other ingredients. Some people seem to think salad means lettuce. I add at least 5 or 6 things.

Spinach salads are great too for something different.

Try to cook a bit of meat ahead if you can, chicken pieces, chicken wings, stir fry beef, etc. That way you can throw them on top of your salad or grab a couple of pieces when you get the munchies. These foods will be less salty and without the added carbs deli meats sometimes have.

I do eat a bit too much bacon probably, but I try to get the lower sodium and nitrate free when I can.

Watch cheese intake - some people find it stalls them. I'm okay with about 2 oz a day, but if I max out my cheese to 4 oz I go up.

Whew! Long-winded. Does that help?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 20:26

hehe Wow! Thanks so much for the input, Yes it really does help, and by the way grats on your breaking 200!!!!!

I go to school, but don't work, so i do have time on my hands, but I am lazy.....It seems that nothing in the recipie section really looks good to me, and when I go to the store and buy beef, chicken, and steak, when it comes down to cook it im stumped.

I am on induction, and plan to stay for awhile. When its breakfast time, im stumped and end up cooking scrambled eggs with cheese, and bacon, and for the life of me, I cant think of anything else. Lunch time rolls around, and I dont want to make a big fuss, So i either throw some hot dogs in the micro, or latley I have been making a salad with chopped egg, bacon, a little bit of cheese, cucumber, and ranch dressing, then I bought some prepared slice louis rich chicken, and I put a few slices on top.

I am kinda bored, and would like more variety, but I am so nervous about carbs and having too many, so i am kinda sticking to what i know ya know?

The first week I did have about 1 bar a day, thinking they were kosher on induction, but then when I found out it was a no no, I stopped, and had a half here and there when I had an extreme urge or I was on the god. And, as of last week, i stopped diet sprite too......

Last night I tried experimenting and i ended making an alfredo sauce with cream, butter, and parmesean, and i pan fried chicken cutlet with fresh garlic in canola. Tonight I threw a steak on the george foreman, and tried making the cauliflower mashed potatoes. Didnt like it too much, but it did the trick for the moment.

As for the cheese, I don't really like cheese, only on burgers, or omletes, and maybe an occasional string cheese. At first I was buying salami and stuff, but I have cut it down to buying a pound of turkey a week, and thank god boars head has nutrition facts at the deli counter in a booklet, so i buy 340 sodium 0 carb turkey. But I do not eat it often.

I snack on pork rinds latley, even put a few in my salad today...I havent really snacked latley, but sometimes i grab a jello or make some tea. I like to use whipped cream in the can for jello, and I hope its ok, it reads 1 carb on the back.

All in all, Im pretty paranoid about all the carbs, which I have said a million times. I am in ketosis, so i guess i am doing this right?

I just dont wanna kill myself with the exxcessive eggs, and sodium, but I am going to try and find some variations..I mean Atkins site says induction all meat, fowl, fish (which i am allergic to) and veggies, thats all that is really allowed. I know that butter, and all that stuff is too.....

Oh, have any ideas for sour cream? I like it but cant figure out what to do with it =/

The recipies are nice, but it seems that they are not "atkins" specific, more for OWL, or other things, so its more LC, then induction friendly, I have found. Well, this is getting to be a novel, I guess I am just venting my concerns to kail, and whoever else stops in! But thanks for responding, hope to hear from ya soon, and keep up the good lossage!

**hugs**