Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 07:31

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Snot (er, I mean Flaxseeds) for Breakfast

I used to eat flaxseeds for breakfast with some heavy cream and SF maple syrup, but I've forgotten how I made it.

I looked back through my Fitday records, and found I used 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup heavy cream, a little salt, and topped it with a drizzle of SF maple syrup.

But how long do I nuke it? I tried it this morning on high and set it for 1 minute. After about 40 seconds, it was all puffy and I figured it was done. When I took it out, it was too thick. Snotty, but thick.

Think 30 seconds on high is about right?

By the way, the numbers with those ingredients come to 345 calories, 32 grams of fat, 13 grams carbs (6 fiber), and 6 grams of protein.

I was surprised by the carb count of the flaxseeds. Fitday said 3 Tbsp come to 10 carbs with 4 fiber, and the Corinne Netzer book says 3 Tbsp come to 11 carbs with 6 fiber. Yet other places I've read that the fiber almost equals the amount of carbs.

Who's right?

Edited to add: I just checked the online USDA site, and it came up with the following (rounded up) for 3 Tbsp: 177 calories, 12 grams fat, 12 grams carbs, 9 grams fiber, and 7 grams protein. I think I'll stick with these numbers.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Thu, Mar-11-04 at 07:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Doreen gives some instructions in this thread

Flaxmeal for Breakfast

It's a long thread and there are a few other good ideas in it.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Thanks for the graphic choice of words there, BW! I don't think I'll be eating flax seed porridge for a while.

My fitday PC says 3 Tbsp has 12 g carbs, 10 g fiber.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:41

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Karen, thanks. I should have known to look there.

Kristine, would you disagree with my descriptive choice of words?

So how did you find 3 Tbsp = 12 carbs (10 fiber)? I did a "browse" and came up with Flaxseeds under the "Seeds" sub-category of "Beans, Peas, Nuts" category. I clicked on it to add it to my food log, and it didn't even come up with Tablespoons, just cups, ounces, etc. So, I figured if there were 16 Tbsp in 1 cup, I could divide 1 by 16 and get .06 for a Tbsp. So, three Tbsp would be .18. The counts for that amount are as I included in the original post.

I use FitDay PC also (the one you purchase). What gives?

Edited to add:

Karen, one more question. I read in the link that Karen so kindly provided that you shouldn't boil it or even nuke it:
"use very hot, not boiling water (over 180ºF/82ºC will destroy the omega-3 EFA's ---- don't microwave either for the same reason)"
Doreen T said this. Do you agree? Would 30 seconds in the microwave on high really be a problem? I would be using 3 Tbsp seeds, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Thu, Mar-11-04 at 11:54.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 12:54
Forum Moderator

BF:

>>Kristine, would you disagree with my descriptive choice of words?

Er... no. But I usually mix in enough protein powder and ground almonds to mellow out the mucousy effect.

>>What gives?

Aha - a discrepancy.

I used the search function, and there are two different entries: "flax seeds" and "seeds, flaxseed". They appear to be different. I used the latter.

Part of it is probably a rounding error. If you try to enter a tbsp as .0625 cup, it'll round. If you use "seeds, flaxseed", there's a tbsp entry for it.

...but that doesn't account for all of it.

Hmph.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Mar-11-04 at 13:02.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 17:06

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i just use the flax-o-meal hot cereal? all you have to do is add hot water. i also add some cream and usually some blueberries, it is already flavored (i like the cinnamon) it tasts pretty good.

the ground flaxseeds i bought had a nutritional label already on it and i just entered that into fitday under custom foods.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I use a mix of flax seeds, wheat bran and designer whey. I love it. for an extra hearty breakfast I'll mix in Atkins cold cereal after I cook it.

I always cook it until it's thick. I use water to cook it. Then I add LC milk or half and half after it is cooked to smooth it out and give it a better texture. Kind of like I used to do with oatmeal and the rare occasions I'd have it preLC. When I mix in the cold cereal, I add much more milk having it resemble more a bowl of reguolar cereal.

Quote:
ground flaxseeds i bought had a nutritional label already on it

The only trouble with that is most of the flax seeds I've seen already have the fiber presubtracted and say 0 net carbs when they do have more then that.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:47

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%
Talking

YUM, snot! Can I have a bowl too pretty please?? :-D
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 01:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Doreen T said this. Do you agree? Would 30 seconds in the microwave on high really be a problem? I would be using 3 Tbsp seeds, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
I do agree! When I eat it hot, I microwave the water and then pour it over the flax meal. If you don't object to soy, you can cut it with TVP. And if you don't object to bran, you can use that too. It cuts down on the "snotty" factor.
Quote:
Karen, thanks. I should have known to look there.
Ah, but if you had, we wouldn't be having this discussion about snot.

What an odd word. I wonder what the etymology is?

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 02:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
What an odd word. I wonder what the etymology is?

snot

NOUN: Vulgar 1. Nasal mucus; phlegm. 2. Slang A person regarded as annoying, arrogant, or impertinent.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old English gesnot.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/42/S0514200.html

Roz
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:47
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Stop it! *hands over ears*

Definately add half n half to mine to make it creamier. Butter and a touch of sf maple syrup, too.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 11:23
Forum Moderator

BF:

Ew!

Hey BW, about Doreen's comments regarding ALA stability... this article claims that the ALA in flax seed is stable to baking temperatures, but (a) it's from the Flax Seed Council, so I'm sure they only uncovered research that supports the use of baking with flax, and (b) it doesn't address microwaving. I'd love to hear Doreen's NSHO.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:24

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

::: giggling at Bawdy's title for this thread :::

I make my flaxseed cereal by pouring hot water over my flaxseeds - not because I knew about the Omega-3 problem, but because it was just too snotty too even consider eating after I boiled it.

My recipe - 1/4 cup unground flaxseeds - grind seeds to consistency of corn meal - pour over 1 cup of hot water, stir in sweetner to taste. This has a consistency similar to cream of wheat (or at least how i remember cream of wheat - last time I went near that stuff there was an adult standing over me making me eat it)

Renee
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:33

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

USDA figures for 1 Tablespoons of flaxseeds

Calories: 59.040
Protein: 2.340 gms
Fat: 4.080 gms
Carbs: 4.110 gms
Fiber: 3.348 gms
Sugars: 0.126 gms
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 14:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I take 1c of carb countdown whole milk and put it on the stove. I mix 1/4 c what bran with 2Tbsp Flax seeds (2 tbsp whole seeds into the grinder and just use whatever comes out) and mix it for about 20 seconds right before it boils and I pour it into a bowl with a tbsp butter a dash of salt and a dash of cinnamon and splenda.

mmmmm