Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/158/150 Female 5'4"
BF:ohmy!..not
Progress: 94%
Question Spaghetti Squash

Hello

I have read so many posts about spaghetti squash in place of pasta.... I know I bought it a LONG time ago, but not in the last 10 years. I asked at our local grocery store, and all I got was a blank stare.
They didn't know what I was talking about. Where do YOU find it? I assumed in the produce section. Does this come frozen or canned or anything that I could order it online?

Thanks in advance
Beverly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Never heard of it as frozen nor canned. It's with the other squash in my grocery store.

Here's a site to remind you of it. http://www.fabulousfoods.com/featur...spagsquash.html Print it and take it to your produce manager or try a specialty fruit and veg. store.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 19:16
Registered Member

Stats: 285/158/150 Female 5'4"
BF:ohmy!..not
Progress: 94%

Thanks for the info !
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 21:37

Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have had this, and its not all its cracked up to be. Infact I was not impressed and garbaged half of the squash.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 21:54

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I keep thinking I should try it but I have never been a squash (of any kind) fan so I haven't. This thread is not inspiring me...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 00:08
Atkins on the Beach!

Plan: high fiber/low glycemic
Stats: 245/224/150 Female 5'3"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 22%

Spaghetti squash is bland - it needs spaghetti sauce and Italian sausage - or make it into a casserole with some ricotta and mozzarella (and the meaty spaghetti sauce). If you are a squash fan, try it with butter, salt and pepper. The texture is stringy - like, you guessed it, spaghetti (but sorta hairy )
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 00:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 145/117/120 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

I like it best cut in half, seeks removed, and baked in the oven without any water; cooking it with water makes it too moist, in my opinion. Then I mix it with salt, pepper, and lots of butter, put it in a casserole dish, and bake it a little longer. It's delicious that way. I don't care for it with tomato sauce.

Karen

Last edited by Karen D. : Wed, Aug-04-04 at 12:15.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 09:25

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I agree about no tomato sauce - I love it with alfredo sauce, have used it in stir frys but my favorite way is just butter and parmesan cheese!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 16:01

Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%

It's actually pretty good, IMHO, and I am able to find it a specialty fruit and vegetable store. Especially since this is mostly a fall vegetable, it should start popping up everywhere.

A quick way I found of cooking it:

Cut in two and seed both halves. Cover one half at a time with some plastic wrp and prick a few holes in the plastic wrap with a fork. Microvawe on high for about 5 mins max and once its cooked, you can just pull out the stringly vegetable with a fork. (You know it's cook when the strings come out easily without resistance.)

If you want to saute w/ olive oil and parmesan cheese, shrimps, whatever you fancy, just cook it a little less (to get that Al Dente feel) and it will be properly cooked in the stir-fry!

Great LC mock spaghetti !
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 16:43
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Tell me you don't like spaghetti squash after trying this recipe! I could never find the myzithra so I used parmesan instead.

The Old Spaghetti (Squash) Factory

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 19:33

Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:

I found it kind of by the potatoes in all of our stores. The zuchini and yellow squash are with like broccoli and such, but these and acorn squash were over with the potatoes and onions. I had it with alfredo sauce, with some asparagus or broccoli or some other low carb veggie with chicken, wow it is so good my kids even eat it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 17:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I have found it's a lot easier to just cook it first and remove the seeds after. I either bake or microwave it.

I use it in casseroles, saute it with garlic and herbs, put pesto on it - basically use it any way I would use either spaghetti or squash. It's also good sweet with a little cinnamon and nuts.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 10:15

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I think in order to really like spaghetti squash you just need a good recipe.

Here is a recipe that I LOVE and have been bringing it to family gatherings for the holidays. At first people were weary of it but once they tried it the dish was scraped clean!

I really recommend this recipe! It is a sweet pudding like dish and you would not believe it was made with a vegetable!

I just noticed it also has a rating of 10/10 on that site so I guess it means other people liked it too! Don't give up on spag. squash until you've tried this!