Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 21:07

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Thumbs up Pass it on

The message of low-carb, that is. I ended up eating lunch at the gym with a man who is in some of the classes I take there. He knew I was nurse, so he asked me about what I thought of his blood pressure being 160/90. I told him he should see his doctor, and that he would probably need medication. He didn't want to take medication and asked if there was anything he could do with his diet, as he was already exercising. I recommended to decrease sodium and cut out refined carbohydrates and beer. Nothing drastic, not Atkins induction, just increasing whole foods, getting adequate protein and healthy fats and cutting out junk. He told me this week that when he went in to see the doctor his blood pressure was 130/63! Isn't that amazing? I was so proud of him! Made me wonder how many lives we could save if more people just ate a little better.

Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 00:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's great news Jen! I'm glad that you were able to do that for him. I have a friend who is very interested in Atkins for hereself and her family but isn't sure about taking that final step. I suggested to her to cut out simple carbs and increase the "good" veggies. Her husband's going in to the doctors in a couple of weeks to have his cholesteral checked. I hope the results are good!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:01

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I noticed an odd thing recently. My heart rate has changed from 72 bpm last summer, to 64 (taken over 15 seconds many times on different days). I do not exercise and to have this happen over the winter when I get less activity seems weird. I am forced to attribute it to low-carb dieting.