Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 20:03

Plan: pp
Stats: 173/152/145
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default quick fix to way of life

hi...I just found this site a week or so, and it's great. I've done low-carb dieting before, but with none of the resources that I've found here. I'm sure It'll come in handy.

Here's my question: I've done low carb dieting before. (I lost 30 pounds a year and a half ago after having my second child) It worked great, I felt great, and then I went off it for a year, I gained more than half the weight back, but I guess it was okay in my strange, feeble, little mind since I could console myself with a snickers bar (or three). Oh well....I decided I needed a change. I started back up a few weeks ago, and this time, more than the last, I noticed that besides the weight loss, I just felt so much better. I actually have more energy (even with two boys under 4)!!! I cheated once, and spent the next three hours in bed ( of course I cheated with cookie dough A lot of cookie dough.) Anyway, I said I had a question, so here it is. I am SO in love with the way I feel, so I want to make this a permanent thing, instead of a quick fix with a cut off date like I did before. Problem...bad self-control and a pantry stuffed with bananas, gronola bars and goldfish crackers. How has everybody made the transition when they've gotten closer to their target weight? What about living with a skinny husband and a family that's very supportive, but not low-carbing....hence dinners are very hard. I want to do this indefinetely, but it's hard to watch my family eat (fill in the blank) in front of me. Sorry to babble, but does it get easier??? I just feel so much better, and I can tell this is what my body needs....I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:28
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Know what you mean

I live with a hubby who doesn't want to low carb thus giving my over weight and highly addicted to sugar children an exuse to not following the diet. I made the decision not to buy the junk food and I asked my hubby to keep his goodies to himself. I also make sure there are things I can eat avalable like nuts, diet soda, cream, cream cheese, etc so I can make something "treaty" for me. Hope that helps. And welcome back! Lean on us if you need to!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 17:33

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default Re: quick fix to way of life

Quote:
Originally posted by jenp
. I am SO in love with the way I feel, so I want to make this a permanent thing, instead of a quick fix with a cut off date like I did before. Problem...bad self-control and a pantry stuffed with bananas, gronola bars and goldfish crackers. How has everybody made the transition when they've gotten closer to their target weight?

Hi Jen - lose the cut off date.

It's that simple. This is for life. Why wouldn't you do something you're in love with, every day for the rest of your life?

Sounds like heaven to me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 12:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/220/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
I know exactly how you feel!!!! my husband is overweight and he refuses to go along with me on this. He refuses to help me and he is not supportive at all. my children are very supportive, although they are bean poles....lol i find myself dreading holidays with the family now... my family is big on breads,, homemade breads... and thus is my favorite comfort food... i think i will have to plug my nose so i can't smell it.... haha.... temptation is the hardest thing in the world to conquer.,
good luck!!!!

ALI
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 15:37

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default I Don't Know if THis Helps, but

I treated low carb eating as a diet for several years. And yes, the weight came off, fast at first. But after I'd regain the pounds and lose them again, repeat... I started noticing that it didn't come off as fast. Now, I'm sticking to it, but with such small results that it gets very discouraging. If I could have a do-over, I'd wait until I was ready to make this a way of life. ONCE committed it will work for good.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I too have one of those hubbys that think that he can do his own low fat plan...yet continues to eat what I make (???? ) Good luck (Ray!!!)..........Anyhow...I am doing the Atkins plan for now...because I am hoping that the weight will come off faster for me. But I started on the CAD...and definately will return to it as I get closer to my goal weight. It is a WOE that I can see myself sticking to forever...because I will never be deprived of anything....Anyhow...my point is...Maybe the plan you are doing is not the right plan for you...there are alot of choices out there...I would suggest you read books on other plans. It doesn't even have to cost money...just go to your local library...and sign a few out. I could never stay on a restricted program...not for the rest of my life. That is just a fact for me. And the way everyone around my house eats...well it is the same as for you...too much stuff that I simply can not have. ( right now). Anyhow...that is just my 2 cents worth...I wish you great success in what ever you do
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:11

BF:

Quote:
And the way everyone around my house eats...well it is the same as for you...too much stuff that I simply can not have.
I'm lucky that I live alone...I would toss someone out on their ear if they lit up a cigarette or brought in a bag of cookies! Ok, well, my sweet elderly neighbor made me some bread the other day and I didn't just take it (b/c she will keep bringing more and at Christmas she makes wildly sinful cookies) I told her about my WOE now, she looked hurt and I felt worse than she did...I don't see how you guys do this without everyone in the family doing it, too. My 2 cents worth.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I treat it as a challenge...cuz you know what.....A year from now...when I am close to my goal weight...and lookin' hot and sexy....my hubby is going to probably be 15lbs heavier than he is now...and trust me...he can't afford 15 more...lol...so they eat the bread...and the potatoes...and sometimes they bring home the goodies...I just think about how much better I feel...and how much better I already look...and how nice it will be to go shopping for clothes(and enjoy it!)....I have been feeling like I want some sugar today...but hey...if it gets bad I will just make up some S/F jello, with cream cheese, and whip cream...that will take care of that craving I hope. It's not a chocolate bar...but it will do!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 06:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Ka3n
I'm lucky that I live alone...well, my sweet elderly neighbor made me some bread the other day and I didn't just take it (b/c she will keep bringing more and at Christmas she makes wildly sinful cookies) I told her about my WOE now, she looked hurt and I felt worse than she did...

Oh Katherine - is there anyone you could pass these gifts on to who would appreciate them? Do you entertain and could serve it to your guests?

Many people show how they care using food. Especially elderly - it's how they were raised. She knows you live alone too.

I always accept these personal gifts and then tell the giver that my eating habits have changed and explain what I can eat. I'll even say something like, "but I'm having a potluck at work and you've just saved me LOADS of time as I will take this"

If you were to give her a couple of LC recipes, to show her, I bet she would be happy to accommodate you..... she might even surprise you with some interesting inventions!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:31

BF:

LC,
Of course you're right. She does this b/c she is very heartful and it's her way of expressing the thanks for my helping her with some health issues...dang.
On the other hand >>> is there anyone you could pass these gifts on to who would appreciate them? Do you entertain and could serve it to your guests? << At this point, I don't want them in my house. I won't make it until I passed them on. I am an addict, I know, I know, I know. I could have tossed it into the trash, but then I know she'll keep bringing more things over.
The recipe idea is really nice. Next time I see her I might bring up the subject and tell her how badly I felt. I'll gently take it from there, if she seems open to it, I'll find some interesting recipies that I'd enjoy. Not sure about it, I'll feel out the situation tho.
Thanks,
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 15:56

Listen Katherine, I remember when I first quit smoking, it was one thing to have somebody smoke near me, but if anyone had slapped a bow on a carton of Players Light and handed it to me, I probably would have shot them.

Now, I would enjoy a good laugh.

You'll get there too, in the carb department.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 21:34

BF:

Yeah, I know. I have mixed feelings about the situation, I feel lower than a snake's belly for not accepting her gift and proud that I took care of myself before her feelings...you know what I mean? It felt healthy on one hand and insensitive on the other.
BUt, your right I'll get there! Hey, I'm getting there now!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 08:58

Katherine - your little signature says it all... You have a BIG heart
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 11:53

BF:

Thanks, LC. You have a big heart, too. and a tiny body to keep it in, now!