Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: Eades
Stats: 278/236/181
BF:44%/33%/14%
Progress: 43%
Default CBS refuses to air PETA superbowl ad

Since when does meat cause impotence???

PETA's impotence ad a no-no with CBS
CNNMoney.com ^ | January 16, 2004

Posted on 01/16/2004 10:42:14 AM PST by Sweet_Sunflower29

This is PETA's Super Bowl ad pitch to CBS: Two scantily clad women try to seduce a pizza man but discover that he can't deliver "the goods". CBS rejected the ad. PETA says the network isn't playing fair.

Michael McGraw, spokesman for the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), said the group used the provocative subject matter to make the point that eating meat causes impotence.

You kind of figure that out toward the end of the 30-second commercial when the two women express their happiness with a "vegetarian" delivery boy.

CBS rejected PETA's racy 30 seconds Super Bowl ad. CBS turned down the hefty $2 million that the group was willing to pay the network to have the commercial aired during its Super Bowl XXVIII broadcast on Feb. 1.

CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said the network rejected the ad because of its "general policy against airing advocacy advertisements.

PETA argues that's not true, pointing out that CBS had aired an anti-smoking commercial from Truth.com during the Super Bowl.

"CBS has no problem with airing commercial after commercial advocating the consumption of fried chicken, pork sausage and fast-food burgers, even though eating these products are making Americans fat, sick and boring in bed," PETA spokeswoman Lisa Lange wrote in an e-mail to CNN/Money.

"Our ad has all three of advertising's most popular elements -- sex, humor, and animals --so the network should jump on it." she said.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 22:22
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Michael McGraw, spokesman for the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), said the group used the provocative subject matter to make the point that eating meat causes impotence.

I'd love him to back that up with some science...For one, a low saturated fat and protein intake leads to diminished Testosterone levels, so it's kinda hard to reconciliate with what that guy said. What rubbish.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 22:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

This makes you wonder how all those meat-eating early humans procreated at all. I mean, can we at least have a bit of logic, a bit of fact, behind all this?

I wouldn't mind a PETA ad during the Super Bowl, but the ad ought to have some science behind it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow what logicians! Yes, warning people that tobacco kills is REALLY the same thing as scaring people into eating an evolutionarily unnatural diet, based on one small bit of quack science and a heaping full of a faith-like believe in some "proper ethical treatment of animals"
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 23:04
Registered Member

Plan: Eades
Stats: 278/236/181
BF:44%/33%/14%
Progress: 43%

Actually wondering how the majority of people remain omniverous. One would think we people who indulge in meat would have limited progeny, while the vegetarians multiplied themselves to dominance!
Here is a link for the actual add, which is quite horrible in my opinion
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video...o=super_bowl_30
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 05:55
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

Ethical, Truth, (PETA)

What a MIX. bit like

Mustang, speed, (diesel)

Lez
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:21
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Has anyone seen those Anti PETA commercials they air on Fox News?

The first time I saw it my jaw dropped.

The worst PETA ad I saw was the one where they target 6 year olds and show the evil mom holing up a skinned rabbit or something and it says your mom is a murderer or something like that.

These are sick people and I am really happy that CBS wont air their commercial.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:25
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/petaPetition.cfm

Quote:
PETA's tax-exempt status was granted by the U.S. government on the basis of the group's willingness to conduct itself in a lawful fashion. We believe that PETA has failed to live up to its end of the bargain, and that the Internal Revenue Service should cancel PETA's tax-exempt status.

If you agree, please add your name and contact information below. Your "signature" -- along with those of thousands of other Americans -- will be used to encourage U.S. government officials to take action. PETA is currently being investigated by the IRS, so this is the perfect time to make your opinion known.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:32

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I am really sorry to see PETA go down this path. I believe that most of their work is on the right path. I am certainly not a vegetarian but the focus on providing better kill methods and more humane husbandry methods agrees with me. But once again, they go over the line and produce an ad campaign that is ridiculous, lacking facts, and downright offensive!! The whole campaign is just silly! What a leap - the pepperoni pizza is causing erectile dysfunction!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

i have nothing against a vegetarian lifestyle. i even toyed with the idea of it years ago, mainly because of my love for animals(i've come to the conclusion that if i had to kill them to eat them i would *have* to be vegetarian - a cop-out i know but i couldn't even eat the chicken my grandmother used to cook after seeing her and my grandfather kill them lol).

Having said that, it seems to me that there has been quite a growth in the misinformation by more radical vegans and PETA members lately, or at least i have been seeing more evidence of that. i just read this letter yesterday(dated December 27th):
http://forums.about.com/n/mb/messag...ealth&msg=153.1
-------
73 Diets That Didn't Work and One That Did
This is a humorous and inspirational true story of an obese woman who tried 73 different diets. They all failed. But she didn't give up! She finally found one that really works for life.

And the magic number is...
Address:
http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/messages/89565.html Changed:7:34 AM on Saturday, December 27, 2003

Diet plans are motivated by the desire to fleece the public and make money. Often, victims do lose weight for a few months, but they almost always gain it back, and then waste more money on another diet fraud. A typical overweight person has been through 7 or 8 diet plans and is still fat.

Almost no one in our culture has any self-control, so the only practical way to be thin is to eat food that fills you and satisfies you but is low in calories, like fruits and vegetables.

Is it possible to be an overweight vegan? Yes. If you eat lots and lots of vegan ice cream (Tofutti), vegan cakes, huge plates of pasta and rice, or if you drink gallons of beer, you can still be overweight. I used to drink huge amounts of beer with a vegan diet, but even then I was only a little overweight.

Being fat is one of the ten deadly sins. It is called gluttony. Of course, people with hormone or genetic problems who try to eat sensibly shouldn't be blamed if they can't help being fat. Some people really can't help it, and even a vegan diet might not bring them down to an ideal weight.

It is horribly cruel to torture and murder innocent animals just to please your palate. It also makes you look gross and disgusting.

A vegan diet doesn't cost anything. You actually spend less money on food, not to mention health care. As you get thin, people may even offer to buy you food!

Many of the people who invented fad diets were themselves sickly and died prematurely.

High protein diets like the Atkins Diet have been around for a century. Each time a new one appears, there is a lot of sensation. After a few years, people see all the sick people, the dead and dying, and the vast majority that lost weight and then gained it all back. Then the fad dies out until a new one starts about 15 years later. The sad parade of high-protein diet frauds is chronicled in the archives of the Self-Improvement Forum.

Stuffing yourself with junk food, fast food, and Atkins food is immoral and unhealthy, and, in the long run, you will remain fat and unattractive, as well as poorer in money.

It's a kind of poetic justice. People say "I don't care anything about animal suffering. I don't care about ruining the environment. I just want to be selfish and have fun in life and be thin." And they end up being sick, fat, unattractive, miserable, and poor. This is justice. Call it karma or call it the wisdom of Yahweh. This is how the world really works.

Atkins got his justice too. He died of a heart attack, which was covered up by his fraud empire. Because of medical privacy rules, his doctors aren't allowed to say why he died. His body was cremated. An autopsy would have exposed a diseased body, to go along with his malignant heart and soul. He caused millions of people to ruin their health and their lives, and billions of animals to suffer and to lose their lives. Where is he now? Hi Atkins. Say Hi to Hitler and Stalin for me.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/thin
http://forums.delphiforums.com/veganhealth23
http://forums.delphiforums.com/selfimprovemen
http://forums.delphiforums.com/animalfriends3
http://forums.delphiforums.com/truthseekers23

----------
such lies and comparisons really disgust me(and i am not easily disgusted)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:29
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Are they a bunch of crazy morons or what?

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/naiveveg.html
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:26

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Many of the people who invented fad diets were themselves sickly and died prematurely.

Atkins got his justice too. He died of a heart attack, which was covered up by his fraud empire. Because of medical privacy rules, his doctors aren't allowed to say why he died. His body was cremated. An autopsy would have exposed a diseased body, to go along with his malignant heart and soul. He caused millions of people to ruin their health and their lives, and billions of animals to suffer and to lose their lives. Where is he now? Hi Atkins. Say Hi to Hitler and Stalin for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
Are they a bunch of crazy morons or what?

Yes...they are a bunch of crazy morons.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:08

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 215/152/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hitler was a vegetarian.

A few years ago in England PETA members stood outside primary school gates and knobbled little boys as they came out to tell them that, if they kept drinking their milk, they would never be able to father any children!

The sperm count is definately dropping in the UK (don't worry there's still lots left ). Most think it's something to do with environmental toxins--PCBs, organophosphate pesticides, etc.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:51

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I would really like to know where PETA got their evidence that eating meat causes impotence and creates a boring sex life. Since starting low-carbing (and I eat only meat and animal fat not vegetable protein) 9 months ago, my libido has gone from -1900 to +2864. I feel like a teenager again and am ready to find a boyfriend fast.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hitler was not a vegetarian, at least not in the PETA sense. Do we have to fight lies with more lies?

from http://www.urbanlegends.com/celebri...vegetarian.html:
Quote:
Hitler wasn't a vegetarian, *was* a big fan of roasted game birds, but didn't eat them because they made him feel extremely ill, at least while he was Fuehrer (as if that weren't enough in itself), and was virtually indistinguishable from a vegetarian in the last 10-12 years of his life.