Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 17:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Not sure, but I think the last day to start is Wednesday, not Thursday?

Wa'il
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 18:46
Forum Founder

Hi Joe,

Yes, please post the link. We only object to advertising and commercial links. But informative pages are always welcome.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-01, 09:37
Forum Founder

Congrats Jo!

And now the entire class of our July group project has graduated!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 09:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi Joe

I was thinking the same as Karen. Actually, your Fat Fast Day 2 was way off as well. For the study to be meaningful, ALL participants must be following the program exactly as outlined. There are a few other members who are planning to do their own version of this regimen, but will keep track in their own journal in the Bootcamp section instead of "officially" joining. There are a few things you could do.

The study is open to new participants until midnight Wednesday 23 August. So, if you like, you can take a day or two to "regroup", learn exactly how the Study is to be carried out, and then restart officially at Day 1 by Wednesday ..

I suggest that you PRINT out the instructions in the thread titled "Sticky: The Low Carb Project v.1.2" .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=16104 ... How to do that????? At the bottom of every single thread of messages, you'll see " Show a Printable Version" next to a printer icon. That will give you a neat page, minus all the pictures and ads and stuff ... Then, click on "File" at the top left corner of your browser window. Select "Print ..." and away you go.

It would be a good idea for you to ALSO print out the "Stillman (lean protein) recipes" thread .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=15937 .. and the "Fat Fast recipes" thread .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=15934 .. As well, keep your eye on those topics, as I have no doubt that more recipes and ideas will be appearing over time.

OR .......

You may choose to follow along at your own pace and not be officially in the Study. There are a number of other members who have chosen to do that. If you like, we can move your journal that you've started here into the Bootcamp forum under "J", and you can journal away to your heart's content ..

I think that journalling is a good idea for you Joe, as it's already proving helpful for you and others to see some areas where changes could be made. This is such a bad time for you, with your kitchen reno. going on ... and this Study regimen really, really requires planning .... and a lot of advance preparation work. There's no way that I could do the Fat Fast day correctly without writing out a menu in advance. Folks need to do that for themselves, since not everybody has the same food likes and dislikes, and some folks are choosing to not eat dairy fats and heavy cream.

So, think about what you'd like to do .... it's very simple to move your journal to the Bootcamp forum, and then you can follow along at your own pace.

All the best to you,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 16:17
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
........restart my "Study" as of Thursday Aug. 23rd.
the 23rd is this Wednesday, therefore, Day 1 of the cycle has to be on Wed. not Thurs.
Quote:
... you mention to Angel on Aug. 13th that "day's 3, 4 and 5 are dairy free.". Yet, in Karen's advice on Aug. 13th, in her Low-Carb Project v.1.2, she includes on Day 4 (Stillman)- baker's cheese and cottage cheese is allowed..
right you are Joe ... and Wa'il pointed that out to me promptly, whereby I corrected myelf a few posts further down the list, with tongue-in-cheek apology for not equating dry cottage cheese (ickkk, cacccckkk.. bleeahhh) with dairy. ..
Quote:
I assume that I was ok on Day 2, (Fat Fast) ?
Fat intake looks perfect , and carbs below 10g, which is great. But protein is restricted to 15g. Some of us are just eating the egg yolks, and saving the white for another day. Regular hard cheese is also higher in protein than desired. You might consider using mayonnaise or other vegetable oils, which will give you good unsaturated fats, without any carbs or protein. You may have one cup of shredded lettuce, so perhaps a salad made with chopped cooked egg yolks, and mayonnaise or olive oil as a dressing.

This is definitely tough, and I find I have to sit down and write out my menu at least the day before, to ensure that I'm eating the correct foods, and the correct portions.

I'm doing Day 2 today, which is the Fat Fast. I did a trial run on Saturday, and posted the menu in the Fat Fast thread. I'm having a different menu today, which I worked out the foods, and the portions yesterday. That menu is in my Study journal here in this Study forum. Anyway, maybe take a look at those, and see if it gives an idea for what you'd like to do.

Tomorrow for me will be the Calorie Boost day. It took me an hour last night to figure out a menu that had enough calories, and the proper level of carbs. Fitday.com will let you plan menus in advance, you just have to click on the forward >> arrows next to the date at the top. That way, you can plug in your menu and know in advance whether it's enough or too much or whatever ... I'm finding that really helpful for me, instead of writing down everything AFTER the fact, and finding out I went over the limit, or didn't have nearly enough to eat and it's bedtime!

Glad you've chosen to stick with it Joe. And all the best for your kitchen renovations too. Hey, maybe you could post a picture for us when it's complete ..

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 18:47
Forum Founder

BF:
Red face calendar illiterate .... duh! Thurs is the 23rd.

OK, here's where the confusion comes in. The original plan was for there to be a one week period during which members could start the program, in order to keep the Study within a reasonable time frame. Since I knew the first day folks could start was Thursday the 16th, I just assumed the one week would be seven days long, meaning the last day to start the Study cycle would be Wednesday. (Thursday would be the eighth day)

However, looking at the rules for the Study, it does indeed say the 16th to the 23rd. That is what stuck in my brain .. the last start date is 23, the last start DAY is Wednesday. So, that is why I made the erroneous statement about the date. Hmmm ... better check with Karen or Rachel on that one.

About the Stillman diet, there is already a link to it, the Meat Fast, Fat Fast and other stall breakers in my article Stalls and Plateaus, which you can find by clicking on Tips on the red menu bar at the top of the page. Lots of other goodies there too, so have a look around ..

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-01, 11:03
Forum Founder

BF:
Thumbs up those scales ....

... can be quite a tease.

Congrats with the lbs lost Joe. And congrats for sticking with the study, in spite of the mayhem at your house. How are the renovations coming along?? I bet you'll be glad when it's over!

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 22:57
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile yes, thanks Joe

Learning from each other, and the support of the group is what it's all about. Pretty soon, you'll be offering the sage advice to others yourself ...

best of luck and continued weight loss success.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 10:08
Forum Founder

BF:
Thumbs up carbs from green veggies only

After balking in resistance at the beginning, and pouting and whining ... it occurred to me that .. Hey, it's only for 4 weeks. But the biggest thing has been the challenge of DISCIPLINE. From the perspective of Low-carbing in general, ie .. not as it pertains to this particular project ... carbs can and will come from all different sources. I found it quite revealing about my own eating habits ... when I realized how often I've racked up 25 to 30 carbs in a day ... and way over half was derived from ... condiments, processed meats, cream and cheese, coffee, sugar-free pudding mix.

You may decide after this to never eat a green veggie ever again .. but I think the insights and awareness of what we're eating on a daily basis ... will be invaluable in terms of the lifelong LC journey.

My 2¢

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-01, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Use fitday.com for keeping track Joe. But, do not give them your real email address. Spam city!

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 03:05
Forum Founder

BF:

You'll be drinking lots of water on Fat Fast! Believe me!

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-01, 01:35
Forum Founder

BF:

Joe, do you realize that for the past two days that you haven't been following the guidelines of the study?

All this stuff is not part of the Stillman day:

3 oz. tropical juice
cheddar cheese
3 cups cauliflower mixed with broc.
oil and vinegar dressing
6 oz. fried beef steak
1 small fresh pear

I'm not berating you, just pointing out that this may not be the way to success. The plan was put together because it was reported to work. I think you have to do it right to make it work.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 21:37
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I will have to substitute soya sauce sauce and water with herbs.

Uh Joe, what are you talking about?

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 09:25
Forum Founder

BF:

I read it to mean that you were goint to use water and herbs in place of soya sauce.

Is your kitchen back in order? You could try broiling it. Dry marinating it over night with salt, pepper, garlic and herbs is really tasty. If you have no concern about salt, using a half teaspoon or so on a thigh and letting it sit for a day or two will even make it taste a bit ham-like. Wash it off an pat dry before cooking.

Quote:
Imagine losing approximately 6 lbs. after being on a 'stall' for over 4 months.

I think what has happened is that you have got a handle on how to LC properly. Congratulations!

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:31
Forum Founder

BF:

If you use a good search engine - I like Google - and search for basal metabolic rate, you'll find lots of the same explanation for the 10-12 calorie a day question.

Karen
Closed Thread