Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default The Good, The Bad, The EXERCISE...

Ok. So I have difficulty getting motivated with the exercise thing. But. I know that when I do exercise, I lose weight more quickly and I feel better. (sigh)

Also, I've noticed how on that show, The Biggest Loser? The folks lose all of this weight without having all of the saggy skin because they are exercising throughout.

So I've seen with myself and others that exercising facilitates weight loss and I believe Atkins was a proponent also. I mean, I think he intended that exercise be included in his WOE.

So here's my question. What does everyone do for exercise? Any exercises you do that help specific areas? etc etc Just looking for responses on folks exercise regimens. Any info on how you've been able to increase your exercise as you go along would be HUGELY motivating to me. Tell me your stories folks!

p.s. I might add - there IS a walking trail RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY DOOR - so I don't have a huge excuse.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 14:40
Registered Member

Stats: 148/142.6/130 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

First of all...thanks for your response to my post earlier!! I'd love to re-commit to induction with you!

As for exercise:

I have joined an ultimate frisbee league in my hometown. Ulitimate frisbee is really physical, lots of running, similar to soccer. I find that unless I'm doing something I like, I have a hard time exercising consistently! We play games twice a week and I get a good cardio workout, but it is so fun I don't feel like I'm killing myself! I also feel like I let down the other team members if I don't show up, so it motivates me to go. Maybe you could try joining an intramural sports league in your area. Even something like golf would provide good cardio. (if you walk, not ride a cart!)

Also, getting a pet may be too extreme for you, but when my dad got a dog he lost nearly 15 pounds! He runs with it everyday because he wants the dog to get enough exercise not to be hyper!

Just some tips from someone who hates to "exercise"!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 16:50
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Last spring, I started out with just leisurely walks in my neighbourhood. Told myself half an hour was really good. Made a commitment to do that every single day. It helped speed up my weight loss and got me 'going' on exercise as part of a regular routine. I truly believe this is the most important thing about exercise - making it regular and routine.

Joined a gym in November - putzed around, walked on their track. I'd try out the ellipticals and treadmills for like 10 minutes at a time. Would 'try out' some of the weight machines, but without knowing what I was doing at all.

In February - hired a personal trainer at my gym to design a weight training routine for me. Just for two weeks, Monday/Wed/Fri. Six sessions. Got a good price on it at my gym. Was able to do 'buddy up' personal training for some of those sessions. The trainer was excellent. Made sure we knew exactly what we were doing, wrote up all kinds of instructions and schedules for us.

My routine now:
Monday - chest and triceps: tricep dips, chest press, chest fly, pushups, tricep kickbacks, skullcrushers
Tuesday - cardio - around 45 minutes on the elliptical
Wednesday - legs and abs: squats, lunches, hip adductor, hip abductor, calf raises, planks, crunches, Roman Chair
Thursday - cardio - elliptical or whatever other machine I feel like using - usually at least 45 minutes
Friday - back and biceps: pull ups, lateral raises, cable seated row, various deltoid dumbell exercises, concentration curls and barbell curls.

I throw in walks here and there too, weather permitting.

I'm going to keep this up for another month, and then I'm going to try New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. I'll get that trainer back in to help teach me all the exercise and make sure I'm doing everything properly.

PS - edited to add: I really wish I'd been exercising all along. I can really see a noticeable difference in my shape with the exercise, and now I'm sort of playing 'catch up' in a sense. Lost lots of weight, and now trying to 'get in shape' so to speak.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 17:53

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I tend to be an over the top kind of person.
I indoor cycle or do Les Mills RPM 3 days a week. M - W - F
I do a weight lifting class on T - Th
I also swim 3 or 4 evenings a week with a Masters program.

Depending on my kids schedule I often ride my bike outside on either Saturday or Sunday.
Barb
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 16:46
Never Give Up!!

Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

When I started Atkins, I exercised right off the bat...and I hated it. Now I can't imagine NOT exercising. What got me motivated was running, I lose consistantly when I run. When I stop running, I stop losing. I lifted weights a while back, and only recently have I started up again. When I ONLY lift weights, I don't lose, although I know lifting is VERY important. I guess you just need to find your balance, what you enjoy doing so you will keep it up, and what will give you results so you will keep it up. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 09:28

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Pinkelsie - Sounds Good, let's do it! (on the recommitment to induction)

Everyone - thanks for responding. Many of you have had similar amounts of weight to lose as me, so it helps to see your success.

For the girl that does the running, were you able to run at the very beginning? I am just so afraid that I would only be able to run about twenty yards and it would be embarrassing. I can walk about three miles, but I am almost afraid to try with the running.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 09:39
Never Give Up!!

Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnarella
For the girl that does the running, were you able to run at the very beginning? I am just so afraid that I would only be able to run about twenty yards and it would be embarrassing. I can walk about three miles, but I am almost afraid to try with the running.

Nope I couldn't run in the beginning. I started with walking, then walking/running combo and finally just running. It takes a while, if you decide to take it up, go slow to prevent any injury. If I were to break it down, I would guess I walked daily for about 2 weeks before I added any jogging (and I walked a couple miles). Then I would add a minute or two of jogging for every 5 minutes I walked. It probably took me a couple months before I could run a full mile without stopping. By the time I could do 2 miles without stopping, I cut out the walking completely (except for the warmup/cooldown or course). It's a process, good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 09:47

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

I know what exercise does for me - walking on my treadmill for an hour a day actually got rid of my "back boobs"!! And my legs looked awesome - but stopping then trying to get my mojo back is so hard.

So this week I've vowed to get up at 4:30AM and do my 1hr then get my lazy hubby going at 5:30 and finally hitting the gym that we have been paying for every month but not going.

Monday was a go!! But this morning we slipped so I'm counting this as our 1 free day a week.

We have to do this for our hot bodies (that we are hoping to get) HA HA and of course for our health - we aren't getting any younger and getting up every morning groaning isn't cutting it.

We just felt so much better and slept better when we did our early morning workouts
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-11-09, 13:57

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hiya Sydnarella! I started riding a bicycle last summer. Back then it was almost impossible for me to ride to school and back home (6 miles total). Now I'm riding between 60 and 80 miles evey week, and some days I do 25 miles. I couldn't imagine living w/ out riding; I felt like total crap when I had an injury and didn't ride for 5 days.

About a week ago I added and upper body workout to my repertoire. I've lost approx. 80 pounds so far and still have 100 to go and already I have loose hanging skin that I hope will firm up some over time. But I figure if I can add some muscle it'll take up some of the floppy skin.

I'm also thinking about adding HIIT to my repertoire after reading an article in the paper today that stated its as effective as doing a lot of medium intensity working out. I figure it only totals about 1/2 hour per week so I can fit it in no problem.

Perhaps HIIT would be good for you also? it only takes like 8 minutes a day.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 06:14

Plan: exercise / atkins / IF
Stats: 315/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Less and less!
Progress: 94%

HIIT is what did it for me--I felt amazing and the fat melted off.

I hated it every single time, though--I'd grit my teeth on that treadmill cursing like crazy when it was time for an interval. But it worked!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 09:43

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I was able to run a mile the first time out because I had started with pool running first (in deep water, check out www.aquajogger.com for info although most gyms with pools have belts already). It's a good way to get in shape for running without the initial stress and embarrassment. I weighed around 240 at the time.