Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%
Default Any Breakfast suggestions?

Would anyone like to share some breakfast suggestions for induction? Or is there some place here where there are some ideas listed? this is my first day. I had 3 eggs scrambled in butter and some cheese. I have time to cook breakfast so that is not a problem. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 09:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Omelets, fritatas. Also, you can just have leftovers from dinner. Sometimes I have spinach and cheese, egg salad or chopped liver. Try thinking out of the box of typical breakfast foods. Anything allowed goes.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/202/160
BF:
Progress: 30%

I just couldn't make it without my four slices of thick cut bacon every morning. I'm not that fond of eggs. Everyone raves about the Mock Danish recipe but I havn't tried it yet.

Katie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

I'm pretty lazy so I make a breakfast pie and just cut a slice and microwave it for a few days.

Breakfast Pie
10 eggs
1 pound of breakfast sausage (the kind in the roll)
1 ounce of heavy whipping cream
a couple handfuls of grated cheddar cheese
a little bit of butter
(Note the ingredients may be tweaked and substituted.)

Grease a pie plate with butter. Cook the sausage loose in a skillet. In a large mixing bowl using a whisk, mix together all other ingredients. Add the sausage and pour into the pie plate.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
asugar
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 10:43

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well this isn't especially different but these days I make myself a 2 scrambled eggs to which I add a little liquid egg white (it adds bulk and protein) and some flavored cheese. I found a nice harvati cheese that's flavored with dried tomatoes and herbs. It adds a nice subtle flavor to the eggs.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I went to your profile and I think it said you are 5 feet 9 inches tall? If this is the case, I think you are underweight as it is and do not need to lose more.

I am not saying this to criticize or upset you, but rather out of concern for your health and wellbeing. If I misread your profile, I am sorry.

While I am on the subject, I have been noticing lately that there are an increasing number of posts from young girls who are already at healthy weights doing Atkins and trying to lose more. I am concerned about this trend. I know when veteran members catch this, they comment on it. I think we need to continue to do that and help these girls to nurture their self-esteem rather than encourage them to strive for stick-thin bodies.

I apologize if I am stepping on any toes, or coming across negatively, but as the mom of a pre-teen child, I tend to be more vigilant about eating disorders.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 14:42
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for some great ideas. I am going to print these out. I especially like the idea of the breakfast pie that i can make ahead ~ and I'll have to try some different cheeses and leftovers of course!

May Lisa thank you for concern. That is really kind of you. But I put down my height in inches, I'm not sure why I did it that way but actually I'm 59 inches which is 4'11" (and I'm 50) so my goal weight is ok I think. When I get time I will go in and change it to feet & inches, it makes more sense that way! I totally agree with you about young girls wanting to be way to thin.

I wasn't even sure if I should try Atkins because I only have 7 pounds that I want to lose, but the plan appealed more to me than the other ones. About 2 years ago I lost 35 pounds by basically counting calories, 1200 per day, exercising and hardly no fat. Well I kept it off for a while then it slowly started creeping back on. So I knew I had to do something different. I chose atkins because all you have to count is carbs and also because I feel that a lot of research has gone into this diet. Its not really geared towards someone like myself with only a few pounds to lose but I will be careful. And by the way sometimes only having that much weight to lose can be very difficult.

I'm still interested any any more induction breakfast ideas that anone has. After coming off a low fat high carb way of eating it is so hard to switch gears. This morning my mind was just sort of blank!

Thanks again everyone.

Suzi
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 07:08

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Suzi,
Like you, I previously lost alot of weight on a low-fat diet, it was with a fitness & health club. I hit a plateau and couldn't shift anymore weight even tho I was exercising hard and being strict with my food. But I was permanently hungry...basically I was starving myself and I felt pretty awful most of the time.
I heard about the Atkins diet, did my research and decided to give it a go.
I only need to lose 10lb in total but I feel it's not just the weight loss from this diet that will benefit me.
My first 2 days on induction were horrible, I was starving and felt bad. Since then things have improved, I can eat so much more than I ever did before, I sleep like you wouldn't believe and NO BLOATED stomach. You should see how flat my stomach is and I've only been doing this a week.

I maybe alot slimmer (now) than many people on this site but I can relate to everyone and I feel totally at home here......

Ali

btw. I still go to my health and fitness club but not for the weigh-in, for the exercise class and to see all the friends I've made over this last year....oh yeh and to go to the pub afterwards...diet coke only...I promise !!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 07:55
Registered Member

Ali ~ I am hoping this will be a better way to lose weight, keep it off and be healthy. The first thing I noticed also is that I was not bloated or crampy. I love that lighter feeling in my stomach. I still go to the gym too but have never weighed in there anyway. I just work out on my own. I enjoy seeing my friends there everyday too ~ I go early at 4:30 AM ~ there are a small group of us that are crazy enough to get up that early and work out!
Are you sticking pretty strictly to the induction rules? I plan to at least for the first week.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 08:56

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%

Hi Suzi,
Yes I'm being very strict with Induction, except that I do allow myself a glass of decaf diet coke in the evenings...I've heard it's not allowed but at least it's decaf
I've lost 2lbs already so I'm very pleased so far.
If you want other suggestions for breakfast trying looking on

"Sick of Egg but I love eating this way" in the list of topics for discussion on Atkins.

There are some good suggestions for alternative breakfasts etc. I've just copied out some of the menus that people have suggestion.

Good luck in your quest !!

Ali