Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 08:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question

Doreen or Karen, please help me! I'm completely overwhelmed! Can someone please post a typical menu (complete w/portion sizes) for a day? I'm positive I'm not eating enough calories but I don't know how much more I should be eating. I eat :

2 eggs for breakfast
Decaf or reg. coffee

a salad with some
tuna or chicken for lunch
water

a piece of chicken or other meat
some green veggies
maybe a salad for dinner
water

What else can/should I eat?

I'm 5'6" and 210 lbs.

any help is appreciated.

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 09:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi Deb,

take a look in the My Journal/Boot Camp forum. Some of us are posting our daily menus there. Actually, might be a good thing for you to do too....

Check out fitday.com. You have to register (free), but it's an online food and exercise diary with journal pages etc...... it uses the USDA stats to calculate intake (calories, carbs, proein, fiber, ec......) and you can even enter your own custom foods, eg. lowcarb recipes etc..... I have customized some other foods too, for example the brand of smoked turkey sausage I buy is much lower in carbs than the one in fitday's database (you can store your customized foods, so you only need to enter it once, then you just point and click forever after). I do believe quite a number of folks are using fitday .... I know I'm finding it helpful.

Just as an aside, I would say you are undereating (myown problem too), 2 eggs is NOT enough for breakfast, barely 150 calories, and only 14 gm protein. You're doing ok for carbs, maybe a bit on the low side there too. Try adding more veggies ... have a mushroom or spinach omelet, or 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese is 4 carbs and 15 gm protein .. .. But you really need to bump up the protein and FAT. Undereating will slow your weight loss, because your metabolism will slow right down to a crawl. Stoke up that furnace with more fuel!!!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 10:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know if Doreen thinks that I'm undereating, but what I ate on the 1st and 2nd was ideal for me. There was protien, vegetables and fat with every meal/snack.

It was kind of confusing for me in the beginning too, but when I realized I could still eat all the food that was tasty without all that carby gak, I was in heaven. There is a whole wide world of vegetables, seasonings and condiments that can keep your food very interesting.

What about stir-fries? A chicken roasted with garlic, lemon and olives? Curries? Pork with Greek salad?
Have you read Jazz Up Your Induction in the Tips Forum?

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-03-01, 10:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
I don't know if Doreen thinks that I'm undereating, but what I ate on the 1st and 2nd was ideal for me. There was protien, vegetables and fat with every meal/snack.

Karen
... **LOL**

Mostly, I'm trying to encourage folks to EAT, not deprive themselves, and to get over the notion that portions of meat and good FATS especially need to be restricted. For me, I undereat because my appetitie is nil most days, and I get full very quickly. I confess to discarding uneaten food off my plate, and have reduced portion sizes to prevent this waste. However, I can eat within a couple hours again, so I need to discipline myself to do just that, eat more FREQUENTLY, rather than just simply increase portion sizes when I do eat.

It's interesting when I look back to the highCARB days, and the big huge family feasts, where I could and WOULD eat enough food and carbs in one meal to feed a 3rd World family of four for a WEEK .. ... And I never seemed to feel "filled" or satiated. Brown rice, egg noodles and potatoes were my undoing, and I could eat huge vast portions of these, and not recognize the stuffed feeling. And find myself grazing in the fridge for more a couple hours later. Now, a 6 oz. chop, or largish chicken breast and a steamed veggie with butter is more than filling enough.

Doreen