Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 05:44

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%
Default Losing muscle...

Hi guys, please don't flame me for this lol. I know what forum I'm in and I know y'all working hard to lose fat and gain muscle. My question is, if I wanted to lose primarily muscle, what should I do? I've found that the HARDEST thing is to reduce muscle, at least for me it is. I'm well proportioned on top but my lower body is VERY muscular. I don't have a distorted self-image. I'm realistic. I know what I look like. People have commented in the past how muscular my calves are and it's true. I think this is due to genetics plus the amounts of exercising I have done for the past 15 years. I think the best diet to lose muscle tissue is low-fat, but I do not want to do low-fat because of hunger issues. A high protein diet is "muscle sparing" right? So what should I do? I need protein to keep from getting hungry, but if I eat more of it, I maintain my muscle mass. I think a low-calorie diet will help to reduce muscle. But how low? And should I be exercising? And if so, how much? I know for some of you it's like a blasphemy to even think about losing muscle, but there IS a thing as having too much of it, especially on a girl. I am willing to put in some hard work to get through this. Please advise...

Thanks,

Serri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:18
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

*Shudder* Don't worry Em, I still think the world of ya' but....*shudder*.....I think I'm getting ill. LOL

I'm certainly no help in this matter, good luck
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:23

That's my reaction when I think about eating low-fat! Haha, Chip sorry

Serri
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:01

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I just looked at your pictures. What the dickens are you talking about? Take a look at "built" she has some pics posted and she looks great. I don't think you need to lose muscle.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...&cat=521&page=3

Jag
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:11

When I'm in clothes, pictures cannot tell you much. I'm not about to post a bikini pic to prove all this but trust me, I am pretty muscular. The clothes just shield that.

Serri
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:56

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

how does your diet look like right now? and your workout schedule?

from my own experience i found i lost a considerable amount of muscle (meaning my bench went down, and it sorta felt like i shrunk a bit) by lowering the frequency or intensity of my resistance training, and upping my aerobic/HIIT workouts... instead of doing 5days resistance, 2days cardio... i did 5days cardio and 2days resistance... did this for a month and lost a lot of fat but my bench went down from 180lbs to 160lbs (i felt like crying when this happened)

cardio's known for burning fat really quickly, and burns muscle pretty fast too... so there's no need to starve yourself on a low fat/protein diet, if you change your diet, you're in the danger of gaining fat

summary: do more cardio (very catabolic after 30mins), less resistance, same diet (i hate the "hungry" feeling... who doesn't haha)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:50

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Darn I though you would. (just kidding)
I think you look great. great shape Some of us guys like a little muscle on our women.
If you EVER decide to post that pic let me know! ha ha

jag
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 12:11

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

build up your upper half!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

is it just your legs that are muscular, cause like Legwarmer said, build up your upper half and do not focus on the lower half. It does not look like you have very much muscle at all. What is your currrent training like ?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 19:39

My menu today:

* several cups of lc hot cocoa

* grilled chicken salad (carrots, black olives, cauliflower, spinach, salad greens, chicken)

* strawberry smoothie (5 strawberries, lc yogurt, carb countdown milk, handful of almonds and lc granola)

* 3 scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup of lc ice cream

Calories probably around 1100.

I do not wish to get more muscular up top. I think I look fine with my upper body. I work with my upper body 3 times a week. I used to do a lot of cardio but have recently taken a break from that. At any rate, I was hoping to get some tips here to reduce muscle mass but aside from Rice boi (thanks, Rice boi!), all I got was "you look fine" -- you do not need to change anything! LOL. But that's what I was expecting anyway. But maybe I can't go against genetics, you know? Just accept myself the way I am (easier said than done ).

Serri
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 20:17

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Serri,

Have you tried distance running? Distance runners generally have smaller lean muscles intead of the bulkier muscles associated with most athletes. Since you aren't going to let us see a picture of those legs, can you describe them a little better? Are they muscular with a layer of fat over them? Or are they muscular with hardly no fat? My best friend too thinks her legs are "too bulky" where as I think she has the sexiest legs of anybody I know, whats a guy to do
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 20:39
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Well Em,

#1...you've never convinced any one of us even though you've tried before, that there's anything wrong with your beautiful bod!

#2...You didn't really think you were gonna come into an EXERCISE forum and ask how to LOSE muscle and get anything else than what you got, did ya', LOL

#3...you've already tried to run'em and run'em away and they are still there!(the legs)

Sorry, we like ya' the way you are
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 20:37

Hi Mrschmelz, my legs are mostly muscle. Like if I try to pinch my calves and thighs, I can barely grab any fold of skin. There is some deposit of fat in my inner thighs, but mostly my legs are very strong and muscular. I have trouble fitting into knee-high boots. That's how bad it is lol. And I blame it partly to myself because I did do a ton of cardio to bulk them up.

That's an interesting suggestion with the long distance running. I have never seen a long distant runner with bulky legs. I have run before, but mostly it was about 6-7 miles 4-5 times a week. Now that the weather is warmer, I'd love to try running again. Do you think that will work? How much running should I do? And how should I modify my diet to support this running?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Serri
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 09:36

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind

That's an interesting suggestion with the long distance running. I have never seen a long distant runner with bulky legs. I have run before, but mostly it was about 6-7 miles 4-5 times a week. Now that the weather is warmer, I'd love to try running again. Do you think that will work? How much running should I do? And how should I modify my diet to support this running?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Serri
Only a couple of remarks. Meanwhile the pro/Master long distance runners usually have very skinny legs, but if you look at the amateurs, many of them have very muscular legs. I think it is much more about genes.

The basic difference between your previous running regiment and long distance running trainings are the once a week long (10+mile) run - if your legs "bulked" up from 4-5x6-7 miles, you probably will not see any weakening from the longer runs either. You might try to have more than one 10+miler/week - increasing the risk of injury, wearing down your knees, etc.

I am the last one to talk against long distance running, but to do ONLY to lose leg muscles could be either futile or if you do on the level that you lose muscles, there is an enormous risk of permanent injury.

I am 47 year old, with definite "anti-bulking" genes. Despite of this as a result of my Marathon training now I have same size of calves as my husband or my sons :-))) (Fortunately living in CA I do not have boot problems.)

Serri,
my best wishes, whatever way you chose,
take care:
Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, May-12-04 at 10:56.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 20:50

This pic was taken a few months ago. I was about 110 lbs.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/4070...hZVZoABkpj_PTve