Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default fake foods on PP

Are bars allowed on PP? How about shakes? (If so, what brands?) What do you eat when you're on the go and don't have time for a meal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what I understand, they're allowed but discouraged. I try to save them for emergencies or special occasions. I'm suspicious of anything that's made in a factory and not on a farm. I do, however, have a can of protein shake mix that I like to use occasionally. I use it if I'm in too much of a hurry to cook, or if I'm not feeling up to eating anything heavy.

I can't recommend a brand, though. I don't like this brand because it's too sweet. Next time, I am going to compare labels and buy the one that has the least amount of artificial sweetener.

I try to prepare snacks ahead of time for when I'm on the go: I always keep some hard boiled eggs, sliced veggies, and sliced cheese on hand. When I'm out and about, I'll often just buy a salad or pepperoni stick.

HTH.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:37

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well personally, shakes help curve my appetite and I remain in ketosis.... Since induction, I now add a serving of fruit once a day... I use Protein powder, 1/2 cup of water, 3 cubes of ice, and 1 packet of sweetener... I say away from the bars however...too many carbs for me... My Protein shake has a total of 8 carbs is I use fruit and sweetner, 2 without either...

Hope this helps you...
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 01:16
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/225/170 Female 5'3"
BF:48%/43%/30%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Well personally, shakes help curve my appetite and I remain in ketosis.... Since induction, I now add a serving of fruit once a day... I use Protein powder, 1/2 cup of water, 3 cubes of ice, and 1 packet of sweetener... I say away from the bars however...too many carbs for me... My Protein shake has a total of 8 carbs is I use fruit and sweetner, 2 without either...

Hope this helps you...

Then you might be looking at bars that are too high in carbs.
Atkins Advantage bars are 2-3g of carbs per bar.
Think Thin bars are 2-3g of carbs per bar.
Strive bars are 3g of carbs per bar.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 01:40

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Also....for meals on the go I usually eat one serving of fruit with cheese, peanut butter on celery sticks, skins, deviled eggs, ham and cream cheese roll ups...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 02:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

Hi! I personally like to buy just plain protein powder in bulk... if you live in california or have an Albertson's or Raley's around, i've found both of those everyday supermarkets have plain protein powder, and it contains 0 carbs, I put 2 heaping tablespoons of it in a blender with 8oz of water and a few tabelspoons of atkins flavored syrup, and presto... a 0 carb shake... very good too I might add! (only 40 cals too, and 0 fat!)
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 01:18
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/225/170 Female 5'3"
BF:48%/43%/30%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessaLynn
Hi! I personally like to buy just plain protein powder in bulk... if you live in california or have an Albertson's or Raley's around, i've found both of those everyday supermarkets have plain protein powder, and it contains 0 carbs, I put 2 heaping tablespoons of it in a blender with 8oz of water and a few tabelspoons of atkins flavored syrup, and presto... a 0 carb shake... very good too I might add! (only 40 cals too, and 0 fat!)

Might I suggest the DaVinci Sugarfree Syrups instead of the Atkins syrup. Just a little more cost effective and more flavor choices.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:06

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

klawrence,

I'll admit that the big drawback to PP (and any LC WOE) is meal planning. Now that I work out regularly (weights + treadmill), I'm hungry about every 2-3 hours. So, my lunch bucket is full of food every day -- a major meal, plus healthy snacks:The Heroin Wings recipe is from Dana Carpender's book 500 Low-Carb Recipes..., so reprinting it here would infringe on her copyright. I recommend the book highly, though.

I know the protein bars are a fake food, but they're filling and satisfy my sweet tooth. I hope its better than half a bag of popcorn, my former favorite "lite" snack.

If you're on the road for an extended period of time, I vote for pemmican. It needs no refrigeration beyond what it takes to harden the fat, and you can change the extra ingredients to give yourself some variety. The protein bars are sturdy, too. I took plenty of both with me on a 3-day Chicago trip recently, and I stayed on plan.