Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ?/?/?
BF:?
Progress:
Unhappy Kicking the Dew

Hello,

I was addicted to Mt. Dew. I lived on soda, drinking Mt. Dew all day long usually eating once a day. Ive been on the induction diet a week now. I am in moderate ketosis and have already lost weight. I don't have a number because I don't have a scale. (never have/never will). But I know I have lost weight because my second chin is nearly gone now..

Not bad except I still feel like warmed over death.

Check that.. I feel fine in the AM but in the afternoon's and night I get extremely weak, bloated, nausea, jittery & nervous, lower back pain, and I am retaining water.

I hadn't had these sympton's prior to the diet.
I have been eating huge amounts of food and taking vitamins. Which Im sure accounts for the bloating. But why still so weak?

Im just not sure what to do. My diet is better than it's ever been.
I would hate to give that up now.

Any input? Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 21:19

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I would say to give it time - it takes most people somewhere between many days to a few weeks to get fully switched over. Your body isn't used to burning ketone bodies for energy 24/7 and so it isn't surprising that it runs out of ready stores late in the day.

Patience and Persistence.

Keep the Faith!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 21:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi Robin,

I agree with Bill, give it some time. If your body has been used to an almost constant supply of Mt Dew then it will definitely be de-toxing from all that sugar

It is common for people to feel crappy at the start of induction, but persevere and you will feel like a million $$ in no time.

If you don't want to weigh, the best option for tracking progress is measurements...lots of them and all over.

Good luck
Lesley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/General Low Carb
Stats: 275/254/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 14%

Just wanted to add alittle something

I've only been doing this for afew months..But I experianced afew of the samethings..And they do go away...Just drink lots of water and try to relax..also..I'm sure you know this..but..Caffiene (sp?) ..is like a drug and is addicting...Your body will basicly go through withdrawl like periods.. ie (jitters, headache's ect)..But just like anything else that will pass to..

So just keep it up ..Your doing great!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 12:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/130/120
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi Robin! I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem! I've been on Atkins for 3 months now, and like you drank Mt. Dew all day, only I drank diet. I know it's considered a no-no, but I STILL drink it (only now it's diet Code Red). I haven't experienced any stalls so far but I know in some aspartame induces cravings, stalls etc... Anyways, good luck!