Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/neanderthin
Stats: 115/?/? Female 5'3"
BF:25%
Progress:
Question another question about coconut oil

i've been buying this from the local 'whole foods' market, and it always seems to melt a bit. i mean, it's solid in the jar at the store, and then when i bring it home and store it, it liquifies.
this is something that my friend told me was absolutely not supposed to happen because coconut oil is a very stable oil, and shouldn't melt, smell, nor have a taste. is this true? she said that if it does any of those things than it's bad. well, i just returned my second jar, and it did it again! plus, it does have a faint smell, but after checking a few jars at the store, they all did. and this place only carries that one brand.
last question: which is better - refined or unrefined?

i would love to know - thanks!

danni
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 19:50

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

First, it would help if you mentioned the brand name of the coconut oil you bought.

Your friend is 100% wrong on every count. Coconut oil smells like coconut. It has a taste--not that strong, but you know what you're tasting. It melts at 76 degrees Farenheit; supermarkets are usually cold, so the oil would be solid--if your kitchen is warmer it could start to melt. We don't have air conditioning, so ours is solid through the winter months and liquid through the summer.

What makes an oil go "bad" is oxidation, commonly called rancidity. This produces free radicals, molecules that are harmful to health. Polyunsaturated oils are the most prone to rancidity. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is one of the most saturated oils and therefore one of the most stable. It can sit on your counter unrefrigerated for months, probably longer, without oxidizing. Its form, whether liquid or solid, is not an issue.

The less refined the better. I don't know what brand you're buying, but I personally prefer the Tropical Traditions, which is minimally processed, so it retains virtually all of the beneficial nutrients that coconut oil offers. To my knowledge it is not sold in stores. If you are interested in checking out this brand, here is the URL:

http://www.mercola.com/forms/coconut_oil.htm

Hope this helps.

Howard
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 21:02
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/neanderthin
Stats: 115/?/? Female 5'3"
BF:25%
Progress:

thanks, that really makes me feel 110% better and relieved that i don't have to throw away what i have now.
the brand is Spectrum Naturals, organic & unrefined coconut oil. i will finish using this jar and then definitly consider getting something a bit better, like the one you mention. again, thanks!
danni
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 21:18

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Danni,

Here is another brand called Wilderness Family Naturals that has received excellent reviews from coconut oil users. I am thinking of trying one of their selections when my current stock runs out.

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals...coconut_oil.asp