Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 05:54

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Post Wasa crackers vs. Normal crackers

Hi people!

Someone on this forum very kindly advised me to use Wasa crackers instead of normal wholewheat crackers, which I have been doing .

And then this morning while buttering my Wasa cracker I just wondered why... apart from the fact that they taste much better ....(I also felt a bit dumb at not wondering long before, I mean I'm normally a little more on the ball...)

Thanks for any info
C.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think it's just a matter that Wasa (and similar whole rye crispbread crackers such as RyVita and Rye Krisp) are all-natural, no additives, preservatives or hydrogenated trans-fats ... and relatively low carb as far as crackers go. The various rye crispbreads range from 4.5 to 7g net carbs (after fiber subtracted) per slice, depending on the variety ... with the high fiber types and Wasa Light Rye being the lowest. And they're relatively large, so you get a lot of crunch for the carbs

They're not permitted during the 2 weeks of Induction though, but in DANDR, Atkins suggests that they may be used with caution during OWL and later stages. But be aware if they trigger cravings or other problems.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 09:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hello everyone,

Can anyone pls tell me which Ryvita has the lowest carbs? The original, Country Grains (something like that)..............

Thanks!!

Bebe
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 10:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hiya Bebe,

I don't have a pkg of Ryvita handy, but I did write down the carb counts from some that I bought previously. In my city, Ryvita is easier to find than Wasa, so that's the brand I usually get ...

OK, Ryvita Original is 7g carbs/ 1.2g fiber ... so 5.8g net carbs per slice.

Ryvita Sesame is 7.8g carbs/ 1.5g fiber ... 6.3g net carbs per slice.

Ryvita Flavourful Fiber is 7g carbs/ 2g fiber ... 5g net carbs per slice (and for the difference of 0.5g net carbs more per slice, a whole lot better tasting than Wasa Fiber crackers, IMHO )

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 10:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Doreen,

Thank u so much

I went to their website but no nutrition-info there. U're a life-saver

Have a great day!!

Bebe
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 09:33

Plan: atkins healthy
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 10
BF:
Progress: 21%

I bought some bran crackers that have 3g of fiber and 3 carbs! They are actually really good!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 09:39
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglam
I bought some bran crackers that have 3g of fiber and 3 carbs! They are actually really good!!!

I eat those crackers too...they are all bran and very crunchy!! Nothing is digested so thats a good thing and they are very low in calories. Eventhough they are low, I still pay attention to portion size.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 05:35

Plan: atkins healthy
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 10
BF:
Progress: 21%

Yes, they are good with a little peanut butter. I eat three of them and they keep me full for awhile!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 07:17

Plan: GEN. LC
Stats: 224.4/214.6/190 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglam

If these are the Bran Crispbread crackers there are still 3 grams of carbs per cracker. They are manufactured in Norway where they post the "net carbs" on the packages as the carb count. So there are actually 6 grams per cracker minus the 3 fiber grams. They ARE really good though so I eat them! Much better than regular crackers!

PS I got the info from the office in Norway
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 09:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghLady74
If these are the Bran Crispbread crackers there are still 3 grams of carbs per cracker. They are manufactured in Norway where they post the "net carbs" on the packages as the carb count. So there are actually 6 grams per cracker minus the 3 fiber grams. They ARE really good though so I eat them! Much better than regular crackers!

I get mine from Netrition.com and they are called GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread. They have 3 gms of carbs per slice w/ 3 gms of fiber per slice listed in the back. 16 calories, 0 from Fat.

I really like 'em.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 15:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghLady74

I don't post here much but lurk a lot and I had to laugh when I saw this subject coming up for debate yet again. I swear this arguement has been going on for at least 5 years! I guess with each new generation of low carbers it has to take place but I have to wonder if the truth will ever be accepted as fact.

Shari is correct ! Speaking only of the GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbreads, the Norway office has confirmed in writing and by phone to several of us over the YEARS that these have 3 carbs/cracker. Do the math, look at the label (it's NOT all fiber, there is flour in these crackers. 15% I believe) and research the European label laws. You can, of course, believe what you want but these crackers are 3 carbs each. Always have been always will be.

Still, I love them, use them and hope they are always available to the LC community. I find them SO much better tasting than the WASA or Ryvita brands and are a better carb bargain. At 3 carbs each they are a fantastic addition to an LC plan for anyone who can handle grains and isn't doing Induction.

(Back to lurk mode... )
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 15:59

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

these crackers are just as horrible for me as regular crackers. just flour and water, my downfall.