Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Carb Smart products, Media reports on Atkins Change are?

Hi guys! I was just wondering if anyone has tried or knows anything about the Carb Smart products? I walked into my local grocery store on Sunday and was greeted by a whole section of Carb Smart products. There was steak sauce, salad dressing (Wishbone was printed very small on the label), peanut butter (I think said it was made by Skippy),then there was BBQ sauce which I bought and was very good (better than the Cookies regular carb product!) they also had a cheese sauce and some kind of white sauce (I think for pasta, can't remember what it was though). I am always leary about these "low carb" products and wonder if they are truly low carb or if there is some kind of hidden "evil" in these products.
Also, I have always tested ketosis in the morning with the strips. But last week I read on this site that you shouldn't test the first thing in the morning because the body naturally dehydrates during the sleep process and it will give a false reading. They said you should test during the day when you have been ingesting fluids. Which way is correct?
AND... what is up with the media and the reports that Atkins is changing? I saw on two local Minnesota channels last night (with lead-ins before the news) that the "popular" Atkins diet was changing and we will not be eating red meat! I did look on the Atkins Center website and there is an article about this how the media took it upon themselves to "change" our lc plan! Wasn't that nice? ha
ok I am done. Thanks for your help! and for listening. L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:29
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Can't help you with the products thang, since we don't have them here (sounds fun to sell a LC pasta sauce though... to have on what? )

As for when to test ketosis, I wouldn't bother with time of day etc. You're either in ketosis or not. If not, no reading at all. If, well then it doesn't matter whether it's pink or purple. I just used up my ten stix in August and never bought any more of them.

The media gig on Atkins has created several threads here on the forum - the longest thread is in the Media section. Other threads you'll find here on the Atkins diet sub forum.

Cheers!

/gil
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:31

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi, there is another thread on the Atkins diet and includes the Atkins website article where they state it is false reporting and Atkins is the same. WHEW!

CarbSmart - I only know about their ice cream products (division of Breyer's I think) which are DELICIOUS. Thanks for writing about their other products as I can use condiments too

Don't know about the ketosis in the morning but the logic sounds right

I just do my strip in the middle of the day and I get the strips for cheap on Ebay!
They were HALF the price of Walmart's pharmacy.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:22

BF:

I too found that the strips are alot cheaper on Ebay. I know that you are either in ketosis or you are not but I like to see if I am or am not, sometimes several times a day! ha Does that mean I am anal-retentive! ha

As far as the media goes I copied the Atkins website article and forwarded to the two TV stations that I saw the false reports on. I am venting to them.

The Carb Smart pasta sauces could be put on chicken for a cheesy chicken with broccali or something. I made chicken basted in spicy mustard and mayo (equal parts) and broiled it. We used the BBQ sauce to dip it in and was delicious. It was about a hundred times better than the Atkins brand. I wish I could find low carb canned tomatoes someplace. Does anyone know if there is such a thing. I would love to make a beanless chili with chunks of tomato. I love tomatoes and it is a pity they are higher in carbs. I miss my juice... I still try to follow induction.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:40
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by llabonte
I know that you are either in ketosis or you are not but I like to see if I am or am not, sometimes several times a day! ha Does that mean I am anal-retentive! ha

Please don't ask questions you don't want to hear the answer to...

Oh, I just cut out those stix to have one less thing to fuss about, since everything else was so anal about LC:ing in the beginning (fitday, measuring tape recording, journalling yadda yadda...) One less thing to drive me mad.

Good you're attacking your local media! I think every LC:er should.

That chicken sounds deli!
I always make all sauces from scratch, in order to know exactly what I put into my gap. Normally they turn out tastier too, for some reason. Since we hardly have any LC pre-made food here at all (unless we order from the UK), we need to rely a lot on raw material. But that doesn't really bother me. Easier not to get trapped in the frankenfood merri-go-round, I suppose.

As for LC canned tomatoes. How could they be made to be more LC, you mean? I mean, tomatoes are tomatoes... I use canned/crushed tomatoes often nowadays. But then I'm on OWL/pre-maintenance now. Does anyone know if unripe tomatoes might have less carbs? (Just a thought, since ripe tomatoes have developed this certain sweetness...)

Oh, I'm rambling...
Switch me off...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:23

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

CarbSmart BBQ sauce is really good, The Peanut butter is excellent and the Cheese sauce is sooooooooooo good esp. on broccoli and things like that. I highly recommend them
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:56

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i saw the carbsmart products at my grocery store. after looking closer it was just skippy with a different lable. and alfredo sauce with a different lable. i didn't notice the price however, didn't want to know if they were charging more for a blue lable that said "LOW CARB" or not......
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:15

BF:

gilibel,
I know what you mean about lc tomatoes. But somewhere on this site someone mentioned that they buy lc tomato paste and whole canned tomatoes. I would think a tomato is a tomato is a tomato.... but who knows?
lori
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

With the Atkins changing, it wasn't true. Atkins sent out an email stating it won't be changing. There was also an article in NY times. Of course the article stating to cut out sat fat was front page while the recant was a bit further back... :P
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 17:27
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I bought that peanut butter too and the lc sauce.. My family really enjoyed it.. Next try will be the dressing for my kids since they don't love oil and vinegar like me.